The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Arts & Entertainment (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   American Idol - Country week (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=10426)

SteveBsjb 04-04-2006 07:21 PM

American Idol - Country week

A) I can't believe I'm caught up in this show.
2) I really don't like country music.

Catherine Mcphee's gonna win it all though.

Griff 04-04-2006 07:38 PM

speak of this no more

MaryMary 04-04-2006 07:43 PM

This is the first year I've watched Idol, I love it!
And I have to agree with SteveBsjb, I think Catherine McPhee is going to go all the way. Although I do think Taylor Hicks has got good chance of winning also.

SteveBsjb 04-04-2006 07:45 PM

So, you don't Pick Pickler?

MaryMary 04-04-2006 07:47 PM

Nope, she's ok, but she's all country.

Cheyenne 04-04-2006 08:19 PM

Go Taylor! Whooooo! Ay!!

this man has soul through and through. i got chills when he sang: "Trouble"

SteveBsjb 04-04-2006 08:23 PM

I get chills when I think about Kellie and Katharine sharing a room together.

Cheyenne 04-04-2006 08:30 PM

Just think steve...... Pillow fight while wearing victoria secret!

Taylors gray hair makes me imagine and wish he were older. hot damn!

Elspode 04-05-2006 10:37 AM

I'm going to come out of the closet on this one...Mrs Elspode and I are Idol Addicts.

Country week really put the contestants' feet to the fire. Mandisa, who has been the class of the competition by a mile, faltered badly last night. Taylor Hicks, whom I really, really like, has no chance of winning, but he's just so damn *real*. But America doesn't like real, at least, not on a huge star scale.

Kelly didn't do as well as I thought she would, but she was still one of the best last night. Bucky was weak for such an obvious country boy. I can't quite figure out why he's still in the running at all. I think Paris acquitted herself pretty well, but still was not close to her best. Katharine is *awesome*, the complete package of looks, voice, manner and personability...but I don't think she's going to win it all.

Chris's performance really stood out for me last night. It was the first time he really had to depart from his meat and potatoes, and he was definitely the best of the "fish out of water" performances. Elliot also did very well, and I think he's going to be in it right down to the last. Ace? Gone very soon.

My picks for the final two are Mandisa and Elliott, but it is going to depend on just how shallow America is. There's no denying that both of these two are not equipped with the looks that breakout performers usually have these days, despite their great voices. Paris has a full package of looks, perkiness and talent, as does Katharine, so one or both of those could sneak in if America just can't get past fat or unique. Chris could also end up with all the marbles...he's truly good at what he does, and he has the looks for his style of music. Great backstory on him as well. This has been a pretty good crop of contestants compared to previous years.

BTW...did anyone else wonder if there was a pod in Kenny Rogers' basement or something? If I hadn't heard his voice, I'm not sure I would have known it was him. Looks like he had a face lift and lost about fifty pounds since his heyday.

SteveBsjb 04-05-2006 10:45 AM

El, I was at a big family dinner on Sunday, and could not believe that even my brothers and nephews all admitted to watching American Idol! I can't believe that I'm watching it.

I agree about most of your views on last night's show. But Elliot and Mandisa as the final two??? America's not shallow, they're still there aren't they? Top ten is damn good. But neither one of them will win.

I agree about Kenny Rogers. Scary in a way! He looked younger now than what I remember him looking like when I was a kid. He's singing tonight, let's see how that goes.

wolf 04-05-2006 01:00 PM

Oh, elspode, say it isn't so ...

"Reality" television is one of the reasons I am glad that I work nights.

SteveBsjb 04-05-2006 01:01 PM

TiVo can fix that!

Happy Monkey 04-05-2006 01:48 PM

TiVo/VCR is great for people who work during primetime. You have to put the shows you want to watch on the list, so you can't be tricked into watching addictive crap by channel surfing!

Elspode 04-05-2006 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolf
Oh, elspode, say it isn't so ...

"Reality" television is one of the reasons I am glad that I work nights.

I know, I know...and I'm still a bit of a snob about most reality TV, but this one got me hooked. I am also shamed to admit that I thoroughly enjoyed (and actively critiqued) "Skating with Celebrities" during its run. That's it, though. Nothing else. Really. I can quit any time I want to.

mijsnomis 04-05-2006 02:13 PM

Final two: Chris and Katherine. Winner - Chris.