The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Food and Drink (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Spinach, Fontina and Roasted Garlic Chicken sausages (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=25515)

bbro 07-18-2011 07:46 AM

Spinach, Fontina and Roasted Garlic Chicken sausages

So I picked up some of these from Trader Joe's and now I have no idea what to do with them. I am thinking of trying to just slice them, brown them quickly (they are already cooked) and toss with some pasta and olive oil. I was going to use basil, salt and pepper. Something simple that won't drown the taste of the sausages like I think a red sauce will do.

I need some other ideas, though. There are 4 sausages and I don't want to eat them all the same way. I could try one in a sandwich, but that just isn't appealing to me. I actually have some fresh broccoli to use up from veggie dip that I made and wouldn't mind incorporating that into one of the dishes.

Any one got some ideas for me? Also, it will be in the 100s this week, so I am trying not to bake, but I can since I have a counter top convection oven.

Thanks in advance!! :)

bbro 07-24-2011 04:37 PM

The continuing 100 degree weather has not inspired any cooking, but that will change tonight. I am whipping up something of my own device and will post the gloriousness (I hope) for you all here.

bbro 07-24-2011 07:01 PM

Final!
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6007/...005883f98f.jpg

xoxoxoBruce 07-24-2011 07:48 PM

:thumb:Well done.

bbro 07-24-2011 09:10 PM

I have three more sausages, so there will be more attempts at creating a dish. I am thinking stuffed shells. I just don't know what to do for the sauce.

casimendocina 07-25-2011 06:20 AM

Sounds like you're going for effort (cool), but if you want something really simple, fancy sausages with rice and a sliced tomato takes about 20 minutes and tastes great.

ZenGum 07-25-2011 06:35 AM

Deep freeze the sausages, like really cold. The sharpen one into a shiv and use it to murder someone - then you can eat the weapon and the cops will never figure it out!

bbro 07-25-2011 12:31 PM

casi - huh - the rice sounds good to me. And I have leftover chicken broth - perfect! Thanks! I think I will try it tonight!

Zen - see, there are a couple problems with that - the leftover blood on the sausage and the leftover sausage in the person. Bad on both ends.

For the shells, how do you think this sounds for the stuffing?
3/4 c ricotta cheese
1/4 c mozzarella cheese
1 tbsp parmesan
1 egg white
parsley
1 chicken sausage

Stuff in shells, cover with some alfredo sauce and bake. How many shells do you think that will fill?

casimendocina 07-27-2011 08:42 AM

Are they the industrial sized pasta shells?

bbro 07-28-2011 06:33 PM

Casi - no, just normal sized ones for stuffed shells.

casimendocina 08-03-2011 06:26 AM

By now you'd have the answer to this one. How many did it fill?

Sundae 08-03-2011 06:37 AM

BBro, what was in the dish pictured above?
It looks yummy, but I suspect I see celery.
Sadly, I'd have had to pick that out. Please remember that in future.

And is that pearl barley or a type of lentil? I love both.

Zen, I actually remeber a case where someone was killed by a frozen sausage. Apparently there is a vulnerable place in the throat. Ningas usually use their fingers. And this man did not eat the evidence - they take a long time to thaw you know....

My advice (I was on holiday, no doubt you've eaten them all by now) would be to make a kind of cassoulet. Sausage still keep their flavour due to the slow cooking time, and should be a great juicy addition to the dish.

bbro 08-03-2011 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by casimendocina (Post 748201)
By now you'd have the answer to this one. How many did it fill?

:blush: Actually, no I didn't do it yet. There are 2 sausages are in the freezer and the one I took out on Sunday. I am not sure if it is till good or not. I will check it tonight, but I am a little wary of it. :neutral:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae (Post 748203)
BBro, what was in the dish pictured above?
It looks yummy, but I suspect I see celery.
Sadly, I'd have had to pick that out. Please remember that in future.

And is that pearl barley or a type of lentil? I love both.

Zen, I actually remeber a case where someone was killed by a frozen sausage. Apparently there is a vulnerable place in the throat. Ningas usually use their fingers. And this man did not eat the evidence - they take a long time to thaw you know....

My advice (I was on holiday, no doubt you've eaten them all by now) would be to make a kind of cassoulet. Sausage still keep their flavour due to the slow cooking time, and should be a great juicy addition to the dish.

Sundae - I will try to remember no celery for you ;) That is neither in the picture. it is isreali cous cous - also known as pearl cous cous. They are little balls of pasta - delicious. I am not sure how to make a cassoulet - don't they involve beans of some sort? I feel about beans the way you do about celery :greenface - lol

Sundae 08-03-2011 12:16 PM

Thanks for taking on board the celery issue.
Sadly we will not be sharing a dish of cassoulet... beans, yup.
Staple ingredient (it's a poor person's dish originally).

I'm loving couscous, never seen or tasted that kind before - never seen it in the shops either. I give myself 1/2 a point for guessing Pearl, even if the grain was wrong.

bbro 08-09-2011 10:19 AM

I will be starting the filling tonight for the shells. Pictures to come! And just so you know, the sausage from last week got tossed - I didn't trust it :(

Sundae - the pearl cous cous has a completely different flavor/texture. I like both, but prefer the pearl if i have the time to cook it right. I wish I looked beans. I have to pass on many yummy looking dishes because of the inclusion of beans :greenface