The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Image of the Day (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Dec 15, 2009: Rats, The Good Kind (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=21642)

xoxoxoBruce 12-15-2009 01:38 AM

Dec 15, 2009: Rats, The Good Kind

Not Willard or Ben, these are good rats. In fact they're hero rats, to people that live with the day to day terror of landmines.

Quote:

Giant pouched rats are not what spring to mind immediately when conversation turns to the global issue of unexploded landmines. However, Bart Weegens, from Belgium has found a low-technology answer to the continuing issue of unexploded mines. A childhood interest in the animals came to mind when he was musing over possible solutions and this led to an extraordinary development.
http://cellar.org/2009/rats.jpg

Giant Pouched Rats are only distantly related to the nasties we hate.
In Africa they're sometimes kept as pets but more often raised as food.

Quote:

Initial funding for APOPO was in Belgium. This was given by the Belgian Directorate for International Co-operation. When the rats proved successful in terms of their training it was decided to switch the whole operation to Tanzania in East Africa. There they could be trained in near-to-real conditions and so the team is now based in Sokoine University of Agriculture in Tanzania. The training there proved successful and it was while this was happening that Bart thought of another use for the HeroRATS as they were now called. It had been discovered that the rats could detect tuberculosis in human sputum (the stuff you cough up when you have a cold). Research began on this in 2004.
Unlike dogs, the rats aren't heavy enough to set off the mines.
That's good because it takes a year to train them.

Quote:

The HeroRATS are currently deployed in Mozambique where they have enabled over one thousand families to reclaim their land. They have also helped with clearing areas so that power lines can be passed through – so bringing electricity which would not otherwise have been possible to over ten thousand local citizens. It is hoped that they will soon be deployed to Zambia, Congo and Angola as well, but negotiations are still underway. APOPO is actively looking for demining partnerships globally, not just in Africa.
link
Via
APOPO

casimendocina 12-15-2009 02:06 AM

This was amazing stuff. There was a story about this on Dateline about a month ago. Will have another go at finding the link and post ASAP.

Qice 12-15-2009 11:10 AM

incredible!

Cloud 12-15-2009 11:21 AM

I've seen this on tv--animals are amazing, aren't they?

Nirvana 12-15-2009 11:54 AM

Wait til PETA and the HSUS finds out about this! :headshake
;)

Glinda 12-15-2009 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cloud (Post 617714)
I've seen this on tv--animals are amazing, aren't they?

Better'n most people, that's for sure!

freshnesschronic 12-15-2009 03:28 PM

That's awesome!!!

Gravdigr 12-15-2009 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qice (Post 617706)
incredible!

Yeah! I know! It's like they were made to fit a hotdog bun.

Cloud 12-15-2009 03:46 PM

We should send the PETA people over there to de-mine the fields instead. Save the animals!

Qice 12-15-2009 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 617777)
Yeah! I know! It's like they were made to fit a hotdog bun.

snort :thumb2:

Trilby 12-15-2009 03:52 PM

Tha' reet rats wearing tartan, so he is!!

DanaC 12-15-2009 04:22 PM

i like rats. Always have. Don't much like it when they unexpectedly invade my home... but I still think they are adorable and fascinating creatures.

ZenGum 12-15-2009 05:49 PM

Our great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-etc-grandparents were pretty much rats. A little respect, people.

footfootfoot 12-15-2009 09:03 PM

Whose behind is the giant rat of Sumatra?

Gravdigr 12-17-2009 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brianna (Post 617789)
Tha' reet rats wearing tartan, so he is!!

Ach!