The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Technology (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Calling all electrical engineers (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=28175)

Clodfobble 10-19-2012 01:40 PM

Calling all electrical engineers

So I want to build this thing.

It's just a flat, rotating, vertical disk on some sort of basic stand (imagine a microphone stand,) with a controller box that has 3 features: on/off, bidirectional switch (that is, in can spin either clockwise or counter-clockwise,) and continuous speed adjustment.

I'm pretty sure the first step is a Continuous Rotation Servo. But then it gets into microcontrollers, and I'm out of my depth.

Assuming I could solder or get a friend to solder for me, am I smart enough to make this thing if I had suitable instructions? It seems like it ought to be pretty easy, with some basic parts from RadioShack.

glatt 10-19-2012 01:55 PM

Can you just take a cheap remote control car apart and mount your disk to one of the wheels and use the existing controls? How big does it have to be? How fast does it have to spin?

No point reinventing the wheel.

Our kids have these Morphibians, and their wheels go forward and reverse with existing controls.

edit: I missed the part about continuous speed adjustment. Not sure how continuous the speed adjustment is on these. A drill will do all that though.

Clodfobble 10-19-2012 02:01 PM

That is an interesting idea. It should spin relatively slowly, the disc is lightweight and about 2 feet across. Ideally I wouldn't have to hold down the controller with my thumb the whole time it's rotating, but I could probably work up something that would hold it in place. Though it would also be better if it ran on AC instead of batteries.

BigV 10-19-2012 04:19 PM

how long does it have to spin?

What about a bicycle wheel and spin it by hand like wheel of fortune?

BigV 10-19-2012 04:20 PM

ceiling fans spin both directions, run on AC, and have three speeds in each direction.

I just gave away one I replaced. check goodwill.

you could used the motor to spin a wheel that touches the hub of the other disc if the speed is not slow enough.

like oO. when the little o is spinning clockwise, the big O will be spinning counterclockwise. the little o can spin fast and the big O will spin more slowly.

Rhianne 10-19-2012 05:33 PM

A basic cordless screwdriver does everything you need - except the remote control bit! You need a cordless screwdriver and a broom handle.

Rhianne 10-19-2012 05:37 PM

...or adapt this:

http://imakeprojects.com/Projects/screwdriver-rc-car/

Clodfobble 10-19-2012 11:47 PM

You guys are awesome, I knew you'd have some good ideas.

Griff 10-20-2012 08:12 AM

It seems like you could work some old turntable parts into this.

BrianR 10-20-2012 10:23 AM

Or, you could just spend twelve bucks and buy the thing.

What do you want it for?

jimhelm 10-20-2012 11:09 AM

yeah! what in the hell are you making?

some kind of centrifugal dehydrator? a child distracter? a halloween decoration?

Rhianne 10-20-2012 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimhelm (Post 835071)
yeah! what in the hell are you making?

some kind of centrifugal dehydrator? a child distracter? a halloween decoration?

My guess is that it's some kind of murder weapon.

xoxoxoBruce 10-20-2012 08:58 PM

Spinning Uranium? :eyebrow:

footfootfoot 10-20-2012 09:19 PM

Hypnosis is not a hobby. Or is that electrical wiring? I can never keep that straight.

Clodfobble 10-21-2012 01:11 PM

It's a vision therapy thing. The disc is actually a pegboard, and it has various overlapping geometric shapes drawn along the holes. The user (i.e. Minifobette) sits close to it and outlines shapes with pegs one at a time while it spins. I've tried it myself and it's a fairly intense hand-eye coordination effort, depending on how fast it's spinning, and of course it's important to change up the speed and direction occasionally to keep the workout going.

Of all the exercises she's been doing at home and in the office, this machine is by far her favorite, and it's been getting the best results as far as increased tracking control with her eyes. But of course the therapeutic one is patented and costs $600. Ridiculous. I feel sure I could make one for home use for less than $50, and the optometrist's office has even hinted that if I do make a working one, they'll buy it off me after Minifobette doesn't need it anymore.