The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Philosophy (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   American Creed. (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=31522)

xoxoxoBruce 12-21-2015 05:30 AM

American Creed.

1 Attachment(s)
Libertarian, I guess.

sexobon 12-21-2015 10:11 AM

But if everyone chooses to be uncommon, then it becomes common.

Happy Monkey 12-21-2015 12:35 PM

If the minimum wage or social security stop you from doing any of that, then you didn't really want to do it in the first place.

Clodfobble 12-21-2015 12:46 PM

"This, with God's help, I have done."

And there's the rub. When God fucks other people over, it must be their fault, and when you get lucky, it's because you deserve it.

Riiiiiiight up until the moment that you or someone you love gets fucked. And then you start making all sorts of rationalizations about why your situation is different, because you know you didn't deserve it, so God must have made a little mistake, and actually he wants everyone to lend you a helping hand...

xoxoxoBruce 12-21-2015 01:14 PM

That's why I added the, "healthy, white, male". Just borrow a million(+interest) from Dad, and do your best.
Everyone else, everyone the deck is stacked against, is just karma fodder.:rolleyes:

Beestie 12-21-2015 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Monkey (Post 949209)
If the minimum wage or social security stop you from doing any of that, then you didn't really want to do it in the first place.

[scratching head] How would minimum wage or social security prevent you from doing any of that?[/scratch]

xoxoxoBruce 12-21-2015 09:37 PM

I think that was his point. :D

footfootfoot 12-21-2015 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 949210)

Riiiiiiight up until the moment that you or someone you love gets fucked. And then you start making all sorts of rationalizations about why your situation is different, because you know you didn't deserve it, so God must have made a little mistake, and actually he wants everyone to lend you a helping hand...

That's easier than accepting your concept of god is probably flawed and in fact god doesn't actually give a flying fuck about anyone in particular and that's exactly why "he" lets all the terrible shit happen to innocent, good people.

The problem is with the disney happy ending great reward god as opposed to the total fucking catastrophe god.

God is like a table saw. I tell my kids a table saw cuts and it doesn't care if it cuts wood or your arm. God is just a bigger table saw and doesn't care if you are a cute bunny, a little kid, or a mother stabbing father raper.

It makes more sense to me to accept that than it does to try to maintain the narrative despite gaping holes in the plot.

Articrono 01-11-2016 04:13 PM

That's racist.

busterb 01-11-2016 04:52 PM

^ Have you been told today?

Griff 01-12-2016 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by footfootfoot (Post 949257)

God is like a table saw.

This bears thinking on.