The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Arts & Entertainment (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Favorite Game Series? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=30534)

brandon4117 11-28-2014 01:19 AM

Favorite Game Series?

Hey all.
So I just bought my favorite game series in a bundle for $2.50 (It's a trilogy called Penumbra, pretty fun puzzle/horror FPS game).
I love the series because of it's great ambiance, somewhat difficult puzzles, and nightmarish enemies, not to mention it's soundtrack and story, all of which I enjoyed highly and still do.
I'm curious, those of you that enjoy playing games and have played through a series, what's your favorite game series? And why is it your favorite?

DanaC 11-28-2014 03:45 AM

I really liked Penumbra. I never completed it (I'm a bugger for dropping off games) but you're right about the ambiance - one of those games that gets into your head, like a good horror film does.

lumberjim 11-28-2014 10:31 AM

does Madden count?

no? ok.. Tomb Raider

Happy Monkey 11-28-2014 11:49 AM

From when I was a kid:
King's Quest
Space Quest
Little Big Adventure (aka Relentless)

Now:
I'm really enjoying the Arkham games.

DanaC 11-28-2014 02:16 PM

I've hovered over the Arkham games on steam a few times - can't really afford to buy games but damn it's tempting :P

Happy Monkey 11-28-2014 07:36 PM

They are really well done.

lumberjim 11-29-2014 12:57 PM

wassat... Batman game?

zippyt 11-29-2014 02:17 PM

Arma 2 and 3 ,
SOOOOOO COOL !!

oh and there is a Dino( Raptor ) mod !!!

Happy Monkey 11-29-2014 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lumberjim (Post 915182)
wassat... Batman game?

Yes, there are three so far, with a fourth coming up. They really give you a great immersive feeling in both brawling and sneaking, and make you do both. So, unlike with a game like Dishonored, which lets you play as either a fighter or a stealth character, you can't get lured, through familiarity, into missing a huge aspect of the game.

And there are a huge number of side tasks and other challenges, so you can spend as much time as you like in the game. Personally, I completed all of the in-storyline quests, side quests, and challenges, but I didn't do all of the extra fighting challenges that are accessible through a "simulation" in the Batcave or through the external game menu. I also skipped the multiplayer (I think only one of them had it), since I generally don't enjoy that.

Clodfobble 11-29-2014 11:07 PM

Mr. Clod greatly enjoyed a few of the Arkham games as well... But for me, I'm sorry but I have to say the sound design was bad enough for me to regularly mock it from the other room. I know most people don't care, but it's seriously bad.

lumberjim 11-29-2014 11:14 PM

I got Destiny. I have to say that I much prefer to watch Spencer play it than to play it myself.

DanaC 11-30-2014 03:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 915222)
Mr. Clod greatly enjoyed a few of the Arkham games as well... But for me, I'm sorry but I have to say the sound design was bad enough for me to regularly mock it from the other room. I know most people don't care, but it's seriously bad.

Ooooooh. Now - that givs me pause for thought. I'm a sound freak - I can cope with all manner of shitty graphics as long as the sound design is good - but it can have the best graphics and best game play; if the sound ain;t right that's a deal breaker.

Clodfobble 11-30-2014 10:37 AM

It's not horribly unpleasant, just cheesy. But it's also not critical to gameplay, as I recall. You could just turn the speakers off... :)

Spexxvet 12-01-2014 11:07 AM

I'm not a big gamer, but I buy and enjoy all the Zelda games

Gravdigr 12-01-2014 03:31 PM

We play a lot of the time with the sound completely off, and the stereo/cd player going.