The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Arts & Entertainment (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Movie Connections (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=25240)

Pete Zicato 05-23-2011 09:36 AM

Movie Connections

You watch enough movies, you start recognizing people. Sometimes obscure connections pop up. I love those.

That latest I ran into while Mrs. Z and I were watching Key Largo (first time for both of us). Even though I barely remember the show, I noticed that the Osceola brother with the speaking part was Jay Silverheels who played Tonto on The Lone Ranger.

-----

In You've Got Mail, the cashier that doesn't want to let Kathleen pay with credit card is the first part for Sara Ramirez who plays Torres on Grey's Anatomy.

------

My favorite - Owen, the truck-driving country boy with the nasal issue in Planes, Trains, and Automobiles is Dylan Baker - the slimy lawyer in Disclosure and the department store owner in Simply Irresistible. It's hard to believe the guy who played Owen could play those other parts.

Anyone else?

Undertoad 05-23-2011 12:26 PM

I'm terrible at this, but Carl the janitor from The Breakfast Club is at the blues club in Weird Science, where Anthony Michael Hall does a great drunk scene.

glatt 05-23-2011 01:06 PM

I guess this game is meant for the small time character actors, not somebody like that guy who played Han Solo and then Indiana Jones?

Spexxvet 05-23-2011 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 735958)
I guess this game is meant for the small time character actors, not somebody like that guy who played Han Solo and then Indiana Jones?

No way! Is that true?

Pete Zicato 05-23-2011 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 735958)

Generally - unless you happen to be watching re-runs of The Virginian (60's western tv show) and you happen to spot him in an episode.

wolf 05-23-2011 05:10 PM

So, you mean like when Robert Redford was in that episode of Twilight Zone? Those are okay?

Carl the Janitor from the Breakfast Club also played Nick Knight's partner, Detective Schanke, on Forever Night.

BigV 05-23-2011 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spexxvet (Post 735965)
No way! Is that true?

It's true. The game is for small time character actors.

Pico and ME 05-23-2011 05:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
How 'bout commercial guys? Like this guy. He was in the Capital One, 'Whats in your wallet' commercials and now he's doing movies - like Get Smart.

Pete Zicato 05-23-2011 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolf (Post 736045)
So, you mean like when Robert Redford was in that episode of Twilight Zone? Those are okay?

Oh yeah. But you have to name the episode.

Pete Zicato 05-23-2011 06:08 PM

In general, if you're watching a movie/tv show and sit up and say, "Holy shit. That's the guy/gal from xxxx." Then you've got an interesting movie connection.

wolf 05-23-2011 06:09 PM

It was Nothing in the Dark.

wolf 05-23-2011 06:12 PM

Oh, so like in order to play I have to rely, not on my general knowledge of trivia, but actually be watching something and go ... oh, oh, that's that dude?

Pete Zicato 05-23-2011 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolf (Post 736071)
It was Nothing in the Dark.

Now I have to go watch it.

wolf 05-23-2011 07:30 PM

Try to avoid descriptions of the episode. I originally had typed a great big spoiler about the episode, which is what prompted me to look up the title.

bluecuracao 05-23-2011 07:52 PM

Was watching a cheerleader movie yesterday called "Fired Up" (highly recommended BTW), and noticed that the cute lead boy was in an episode of "Cold Case" a while back. He played the back-in-time version of the boyfriend of a murdered transgender girl.

There were a few other actors I recognized, but I can't say from where without looking them up...would that be cheating?