The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Brit Insults (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=35134)

monster 05-18-2020 01:54 AM

Brit Insults

Just popping this link here for when I need it later.

http://septicscompanion.com/category/insults/

Carruthers 05-18-2020 03:48 AM

They missed out 'lummock'.

Gormless bunch. Two bricks short of a load, the lot of them.

Further material for the discerning etymologist here:

Link

Griff 05-18-2020 06:01 AM

Billy no-mates.
That one could sting a bit, think I'll apply to my brother at a later date.

xoxoxoBruce 05-18-2020 08:56 AM

Sure is a lot of words referring to women of loose moral standards.

Carruthers 05-18-2020 09:25 AM

'Poltroon' is a good one but it's recorded as archaic so, on the one hand, it's pretty pointless using it but on the other hand you can still insult someone and live to tell the tale.

lumberjim 05-18-2020 07:50 PM

What was that movie, where the old fat dad character shoots a guy for calling him that?

Urbane Guerrilla 05-20-2020 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carruthers (Post 1052820)
'Poltroon' is a good one but it's recorded as archaic so, on the one hand, it's pretty pointless using it but on the other hand you can still insult someone and live to tell the tale.

Archaic or obsolete I doubt; I'll use it, no hesitation.

Though if there were a schtick about the clueless guy who asks, "Who's this Paul Troon, and what'd he do?" somebody might bring some fun to a story.

DanaC 05-21-2020 12:50 PM

Cockwomble was notable by its absence.

That's currently my favourite insult

DanaC 05-21-2020 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carruthers (Post 1052811)
They missed out 'lummock'.

Gormless bunch. Two bricks short of a load, the lot of them.

Further material for the discerning etymologist here:

Link

Funny you should point out 'lummock'

I've been listening to a series of audiobooks (zompoc fiction) and it follows several different groups in different locations, mostly in the US but with a few storylines in other countries. One of the groups being in London - and as much as I love the story overall, I find that storyline difficult to listen to. The author is clearly familiar with the UK - the physical descriptions, some of the routes he describes and some of the slang and culture....but: it's so not today's Britain. It's definitely written by someone familiar with rather than born of the UK - the slang and speech patterns are off kilter - along with some of the cultural notes. Its supposed to be set in 2013 but is a mish mash of 1950s -1980s slang and attitudes.

One of the words that jarred with me was 'lummock' used by someone in their late teens/early 20s :P Along with a 14 year old addressing a woman in her 30s as 'mum' (ma'am) on first meeting - and then later exclaiming 'what the blazes was that?' ....ya know like the teenz do.

There are a bunch of those details that really pull me out of the narrative. But 'lummock' was one of the first, along with descriptions of someone with a 'stiff upper lip'

Carruthers 05-21-2020 01:48 PM

Variations on a theme.

Quote:

Lummox

Though the etymology of lummox is heavily disputed, one thing is for certain: It came from East Anglia, the coastal outcrop of Britain above London.
There, around 1825, someone threw out the word as an insult, and it stuck, becoming a typically British go-to term.
Some linguists believe it comes from the word lummock, which typified a lummox: it means a clumsy oaf.
If pressed, I'd have put its origins in the West Country.
It just doesn't sound as if it originated in East Anglia.

LINK

monster 05-22-2020 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 1052988)

I see a lot of people liking that -it emerged since I left.... my main problem is there's a lovely family local to me with the last name Womble. So.... zipt. for now. :D.

Carruthers 05-22-2020 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 1053017)
I see a lot of people liking that -it emerged since I left.... my main problem is there's a lovely family local to me with the last name Womble. So.... zipt. for now. :D.

Do they hail from Wimbledon Common by any chance?

monster 05-22-2020 02:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carruthers (Post 1053018)
Do they hail from Wimbledon Common by any chance?

no, bless. They have no idea of such things. Completely innocent. As are most of our mutual friends. We've never actually met. We nearly did by Zoom a few weeks ago but apparently she was struggling with it and it was all I could do to stop myself asking if maybe Tobermory could help her figure something out

Carruthers 05-22-2020 02:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 1053019)
no, bless. They have no idea of such things. Completely innocent. As are most of our mutual friends. We've never actually met. We nearly did by Zoom a few weeks ago but apparently she was struggling with it and it was all I could do to stop myself asking if maybe Tobermory could help her figure something out

No mention of great uncle Bulgaria then?

footfootfoot 05-22-2020 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 1052988)

Is the distaff version Twatwaffle? because that's my current favorite.