The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Cellar Meta (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Anyone else agree that number of posts under your screen-name is distracting? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=10546)

SteveBsjb 04-20-2006 07:54 AM

Anyone else agree that number of posts under your screen-name is distracting?

Maybe there should be a way to hide this? Optionally? Or put it on profile page?

glatt 04-20-2006 08:26 AM

I'm not distracted by it.

Sometimes I'm curious about what someone's total is, and then I can see it right there. It's useful. But I don't treat it as a way of ranking people. It's just one piece of information.

skysidhe 04-20-2006 08:54 AM

no

Beestie 04-20-2006 09:28 AM

A strip of duct tape might work.

marichiko 04-20-2006 10:15 AM

Elmer's glue to keep your fingers pasted away from your keyboard. ;)

I don't see how number of posts is distracting. I just read the stuff going on in a thread. If I'm curious about the person who posted something, I may look at their profile, but usually I don't. The number of posts never was a big deal around here until lately.

SteveBsjb 04-20-2006 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beestie
A strip of duct tape might work.

Hahaha... reminds me I used to tell people to put black electrical tape over the red lights on their dashboard in their car. Instant mechanic!

SteveBsjb 04-20-2006 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marichiko
Elmer's glue to keep your fingers pasted away from your keyboard. ;)

I don't see how number of posts is distracting. I just read the stuff going on in a thread. If I'm curious about the person who posted something, I may look at their profile, but usually I don't. The number of posts never was a big deal around here until lately.

I found old threads where people were congratulating each other for reaching certain number of posts.

Also, I've never been one to bring up post numbers, though a few have accused me of just posting to drive up my post count. Well, I'm TELLING YOU all, it's not true.

Maui Nick 04-20-2006 11:51 AM

To answer the question in the thread title: No.

SteveBsjb 04-20-2006 11:55 AM

that's all I need! :)

Elspode 04-20-2006 01:01 PM

The post totals are is a reasonably reliable indicator of how active a given Cellarite is. What it doesn't reveal is whether there is any worthwhile content in those posts. 5,000 posts of "Me too!" doesn't exactly make one into an admired poster.

In general, though, the higher the post numbers, the more involved and contributory the poster is...at least, that used to be the case. Time will tell if that will be true in the future.

wolf 04-20-2006 01:04 PM

no

DucksNuts 04-20-2006 06:12 PM

no

lumberjim 04-20-2006 06:24 PM

only for a moment, then the moment's gone.

marichiko 04-20-2006 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveBsjb
I found old threads where people were congratulating each other for reaching certain number of posts.

*cough* That was back in the old days when people tried to post stuff that had content. I imagine that now people will feel pity toward those with large numbers of posts after their name. In fact, I am thinking of getting a new user name and only posting once a week.

Flint 04-20-2006 07:06 PM

I don't care about # of posts, or care about who cares about # of posts.