The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Arts & Entertainment (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Harry potter (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=5759)

McGee 05-09-2004 08:40 PM

Harry potter

:confused: do ppl here like harry potteR? im just curios...cuz i honestly think its awesome

Elspode 05-09-2004 10:44 PM

No. No one likes Harry Potter. Someone is losing zillions of dollars behind that series of books, films and endless runs of licensed merchandise. ;)

DanaC 05-10-2004 03:53 AM

*chuckles*
I havent read any, but I have it on good authority ( my niece) that it rocks. Have you read the books or watched the films or both? If both how did the films compare to the books?

xoxoxoBruce 05-10-2004 06:36 AM

Welcome to the Cellar, McGee.:)
Check out this thread.

jaguar 05-10-2004 08:10 AM

Why the capital R?

Meh. Kinda trashy reading but tollerable.

Happy Monkey 05-10-2004 08:52 AM

Better than most 'kiddie lit'. And it encourages kids to be willing to read books longer than 120 pages.

perth 05-10-2004 09:05 AM

I really enjoyed the books as a diversion from more "literary" reading, and I really can't wait until my son is old enough for me to start reading them to him (he still prefers the books with pictures and characters that lend themselves well to funny voices). I've been seeing previews for the new movie and I'm kind of excited about that because I really like Gary Oldman and Alan Rickman.

jaguar 05-10-2004 09:47 AM

Quote:

And it encourages kids to be willing to read books longer than 120 pages.
I'll second that, the rate they are going up the final one is going to give war and peace a run for it's money.

BrianR 05-10-2004 11:12 AM

I read them all in the course of a three day weekend.

I agree that they are better than most kiddie-lit crapola, but they were a tad predictable and simplistic. Then again, it's nice to see a clear good-vs-evil fight and have good triumph without a scratch. Nowadays good always seems to have a streak of evil in it and tends to be less than pure white. Witness Wolverine from X-Men.

Boiled down, it's standard child fantasy fodder. In most successful childrens series, the hero is smarter and more able to deal with the crisis at hand than all the adults at hand. Only wordier and with more imagery.

Final tally: I'd buy them, but only at a garage sale.

Brian

OnyxCougar 05-10-2004 11:17 AM

I like em, my kids like em, and the movies are so close to the books that I like those too. And the Third HP movie comes out in July.

Elspode 05-10-2004 11:41 AM

In all seriousness, we are HUGE fans at our house, kids and adults alike.

russotto 05-10-2004 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by BrianR
Then again, it's nice to see a clear good-vs-evil fight and have good triumph without a scratch. Nowadays good always seems to have a streak of evil in it and tends to be less than pure white.
Err, you haven't read Book 5 yet, have you?

wolf 05-10-2004 01:26 PM

I was going to say much the same thing, although it's been clear since Book 1 that there are costs to pay for using magick, even if it is to fight evil, and you are positioned as the one in the white wizard's hat, so to speak.

I've been enjoying the books a lot, and have been preordering them on amazon.com as soon as a release date is specified. I just wait until they show up in the mail.

McGee 05-10-2004 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by jaguar
Why the capital R?

Meh. Kinda trashy reading but tollerable.

Lol...i did that by accident...srry...