The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Image of the Day (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   November 11, 2007: Badger badger badger (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=15909)

Undertoad 11-11-2007 01:18 PM

November 11, 2007: Badger badger badger

http://cellar.org/2007/badgerbadgerbadger.jpg

Recreating the Internet-famous Flash presentation here.

Trilby 11-11-2007 01:30 PM

Snake! There's a Snake! Look out for the SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!

Clodfobble 11-11-2007 02:38 PM

I think the cat is taking the invasion in stride.

DanaC 11-11-2007 02:40 PM

lol hadn't even spotted the cat til you pointed it out :P

Hiya Bri:)

ViennaWaits 11-11-2007 02:48 PM

So is the cat supposed to symbolic of the snake or the mushroom?

I'm gonna have that fucking "song" in my head all day now.
Thanks. Thanks very much.

badgerbadgerbadgerbadgerbadgerbadgerbadgerbadgermushroomMUSHROOM
damn :headshake

Sundae 11-11-2007 02:50 PM

Hello, tuberculosis!

They spread it in cows by sucking their udders you know.
Which is why they are prized by naturalists in this country and hated by farmers.

DanaC 11-11-2007 02:54 PM

they suck cows udders? seriously?

Sundae 11-11-2007 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 406025)
they suck cows udders? seriously?

Okay, I don't know if that really is the way it's spread, but it is a matter in debate regarding badgers and TB.

From here:
Quote:

Bovine Tuberculosis (bTB) was a major problem in cattle herds earlier this century but was virtually eradicated by tuberculin testing and slaughter of infected cattle. However, bTB has persisted in southwest England, its traditional stronghold, some parts of Wales and the West Midlands, and is now increasing in other parts of Britain. Since the mid-1970s tens of thousands of badgers have been culled in response to bTB outbreaks because of circumstantial evidence that badgers spread the disease. However bTB has continued to increase in cattle. Bovine TB can be a serious problem for those farmers whose herds are affected. However it is still a relatively rare disease in the UK. To put bTB into context, in 2002 19,792 bTB reactors (cattle that gave a positive tuberculin skin test result) were slaughtered, which compares to 4,189,000 animals (including 590,000 cattle) slaughtered during the FMD outbreak1. In addition, 90,000 cattle are culled annually due to mastitis, 31,000 due to lameness and 125,000 due to infertility2.

In November 1996, the government commissioned a review, chaired by Professor John Krebs, to investigate links between bTB in cattle and badgers. The final report was published on 16 December 1997. It stated that “the sum of evidence strongly supports the view that, in Britain, badgers are a significant source of infection in cattle, although evidence is all indirect” and principally recommended that the Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Fisheries (now the Department for the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA)) should set up an experiment to quantify the impact of culling badgers3. In February 1998 the Independent Scientific Group on Cattle TB (ISG) was set up by the Government, chaired by Professor John Bourne, to advise on implementation of the recommendations in the Krebs Report, specifically the badger culling trials. On 17 August 1998 the Government published the Bourne Report4 and announced its plans for a strategy to control bTB in cattle.
Sos to be teh serious!!! :)

TheMercenary 11-11-2007 03:40 PM

Holy Crap UT, where is that picture from. I would be out there with a .22 having a field day. That is just ridiculous.

TheMercenary 11-11-2007 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 406019)
lol hadn't even spotted the cat til you pointed it out :P

Hiya Bri:)

Must be a yard ornament, there is no way a cat would just sit there with all those same sized animals walking around. Unless of course there are all the cat's friends and he invited them over.:D

Nikolai 11-11-2007 05:10 PM

With that many badgers you could make alot of badger stew, so heres how its done:

1 badger
1 glass of pig's blood
1 small glass of armagnac
1 ginger root
1 bottle of dry, sparkling white wine
2 eggs
1 pot of crème fraîche
salt and pepper
500g forest mushrooms OR chestnuts to accompany
100g butter
oil

Eviscerate and skin your badger, and soak it in a fast-flowing river for at least 48 hours. This will help you to de-grease it more easily.

Once the badger is de-greased, cut it into pieces and brown it in a frying pan with butter. When the pieces are golden and stiff, flambée with the armanac, season and add a grated soup-spoon of ginger, fresh if possible.

Pour over the wine, and simmer gently for at least two hours.

At the end of the cooking time, mix the chopped badger liver (cooked beforehand in a little oil), the glass of blood, two egg yolks, a coffee-spoon of ginger and the crème fraîche, and pour into the cooking dish. Serve immediately.

This dish goes well with wild mushrooms or chestnuts.

http://www.gastronomydomine.com/2006...dger-stew.html

Razzmatazz13 11-11-2007 05:18 PM

Oh well...I've been wondering what to do with my extra glass of pig's blood...

Sheldonrs 11-11-2007 05:49 PM

The cat is probably blaming it's owners. "Stop badgering me!!!"

(oh, like none of YOU were thinking that!!)

Gravdigr 11-11-2007 06:20 PM

:band: badgerbadgerbadgerbadgerbadgerbadgerbadgerbadgerbadgerbadger:jig: :jig: :jig: :help:

lumberjim 11-11-2007 07:13 PM

i don't think they're badgers at all. I think they're aardvarks.