The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   There's lumberthing I want to tell you (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=29093)

Clodfobble 01-26-2015 04:12 PM

Sorry about your friend, Jim.

xoxoxoBruce 01-26-2015 04:36 PM

Sorry Jim, losing friends sucks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 920350)
Doctors are trained to keep treating the patient. It's not their job to wonder if they should treat the patient.

Doctors are bound by oath and law to do everything they can to keep you alive, until somebody tells them to stop. Unless you spell it out clearly ahead of time it's left to spouse/kids who say, For Mom/Dad, of course, do everything possible. They don't want to think about how much suffering Mom/Pop are experiencing by dragging it out. They don't want to be the one to say pull the plug. So Mom/Pop lives a few more months or a year in a miserable state.

Obamacare had a provision to pay doctors to sit down with patients and explain their end of life options and how to guarantee it would happen the way they want. The disloyal opposition screamed, "Death Panels".

I think I posted a chart on what doctors chose for themselves. It was very heavy on pain relief, and very light on extraordinary measures.

BigV 01-26-2015 05:58 PM

Yes, I remember such a news item. Presumably, these are people who love life as much as I do, who dislike pain as much as I do, and yet choose dramatically different end of life plans than I would. Presumably, the only difference is that they're better informed about the process. Something to be learned there.

classicman 01-26-2015 09:19 PM

Sorry Jim. Getting older sux. We know and know of more people dying.

DanaC 01-27-2015 04:55 AM

Damn, Jim, that's so sad.

fargon 01-27-2015 05:51 AM

So sorry for your loss Jim.

Griff 01-27-2015 06:21 AM

Sorry Jim, sounds like a rough way to go.

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicman (Post 920394)

Beats the alternative?

limey 01-27-2015 06:58 AM

So sorry, Jim.

Sent by thought transference

Spexxvet 01-27-2015 08:02 AM

My condolences, Jim.

Undertoad 01-27-2015 09:46 AM

Sorry to hear of this.

xoxoxoBruce 01-27-2015 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicman (Post 920394)

First it was mostly people I knew as friends of my folks, then Vietnam took people I knew, and sometimes older people I worked with kicked off, but not many personal friends. About twenty years ago suddenly friends started dropping in their late 40s and 50s, and as classicman said, that sux.

A friend recently joined facebook to try and connect with some of the many musicians he'd played with over the years. What he found was he was wasting his time, because most of them were dead.

Griff asked
Quote:

Beats the alternative?
Good question, is it better to miss than be missed?

glatt 01-27-2015 02:17 PM

It's shocking when they are your age. Fortunately there haven't been too many of those yet for me.

infinite monkey 01-27-2015 06:01 PM

I'm sorry jim. I've lost some good friends in the last few years, and I agree with the sentiments expressed by other dwellars.

The fact that you were moved enough to write about him, well, he sounds like a neat guy, and interesting guy, and that's a pretty cool way to have lived.

lumberjim 01-27-2015 07:01 PM

thanks shaw ( and all y'all )

It's a bummer, but it was inevitable, and I saw it coming a long way off, so I'm not really all that upset about it. That's kind of why I put it in this thread. I'm more relieved that he's at rest. We had some fun times.

BigV 01-27-2015 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 920471)
snip--

Good question, is it better to miss than be missed?

it's better to miss.

there's plenty of time to be missed later, and others can do it for you. I'll miss as long as I can. it hurts, true. still. I want to live.