The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Image of the Day (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   May 1, 2007: Melted freeway (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14041)

joelnwil 05-02-2007 03:38 PM

A long time ago, my mother told me never to say "Nobody would ever be so stupid as to believe...", because as soon as you say that, somebody will publish something that is just that stupid.

http://www.429truth.com/

Now I wonder if this site is intended to be a parody, of it somebody actually is that stupid. Consider, in addition to the GAY thing:

"The tragic attack occurred on Yom Ha-Atzmaut, Israeli independence day. The “driver” was named “Mosqueda”, a mix of “Mossad” and “al Queda”. 4/29 is also the anniversary of the ratification of the Chemical Weapons Convention."

Well that proves everything.

I would not expect anything worthwhile from "Blubber Brain" Rosie, but it is really sad if somebody is stupid enough to believe her, or to believe anything on that site.

richlevy 05-03-2007 08:45 PM

Quote:

Engineers said the green steel frame of the I-580 overpass and the bolts holding the frame together began to melt and bend in the intense heat -- and that movement pulled the roadbed off its supports.
Okay, what does the color of the steel frame have to do with anything? When I saw green and frame, for a 1/10 second I thought wood since why would engineers care if steel was painted green?

"Engineers state that if the steel had been properly seasoned and not green the bridge might have survived."

xoxoxoBruce 05-03-2007 10:15 PM

That's so people reading the story will know which part they are talking about. Don't laugh, a lot of people don't know which is which... or care.

glatt 05-26-2007 06:28 AM

This morning's paper says the road is now reopened to traffic.

Only took 25 days to fix. Impressive.

xoxoxoBruce 05-26-2007 09:43 AM

Some people will be able to afford a great vacation financed by overtime and bonuses.

SPUCK 05-27-2007 05:25 AM

I believe they got a $5M bonus for getting it open one month early.

They also got it open a week before they said they would.

TheMercenary 05-29-2007 10:21 PM

But according to the 9/11 conspiracy theorists you can't melt steel with gas. So did the goberment plant bombs on those steel beams and plan for that truck to hit the overpass at that point and burst into flames covering the goberment explosions?

xoxoxoBruce 05-30-2007 03:27 AM

When they tore up RR tracks during the Civil War, they melted them with wood fires. Maybe it was a wooden truck.

busterb 05-30-2007 01:41 PM

Fucking hell. Green steel, gas won't melt steel. RR tracks are tough as a wood haulers ass. Gas won't do it, but wood would? get real. Flappin reporters.

xoxoxoBruce 05-30-2007 02:43 PM

It doesn't melt like with a cutting torch, becoming a liquid. The fire makes it hot enough to lose its strength, while under load, and bend like plastic until it fails. If you look at the pictures, the beams are still all there, just twisted up from failing under load.

busterb 05-30-2007 04:00 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I well understand that. I was in the field when this one burned and helped rebuild. Chevron

HungLikeJesus 05-30-2007 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by busterb (Post 348777)
I well understand that. I was in the field when this one burned and helped rebuild. Chevron

Better in the field than on the platform.

Nice pictures. The first one reminds me of something out of Terminator.

xoxoxoBruce 05-30-2007 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by busterb (Post 348777)

I figured that, that's why I didn't understand your previous post. But that's OK, we geriatrics get confused easily, be gentle.

zippyt 05-30-2007 11:42 PM

WOW Buster !!! Killer pics !!!!!
I bet it SUCKED getting that shut off !!!!!!

Any more pics like this ??

tw 05-31-2007 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zippyt (Post 348988)
Any more pics like this ??

Search for references to Piper Alpha (I think that was its name) in the North Sea.