The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Image of the Day (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Mar 16, 2009: Operation Smile, Jordan (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=19810)

xoxoxoBruce 03-15-2009 05:39 PM

Mar 16, 2009: Operation Smile, Jordan

Operation Smile;
Quote:

Operation Smile mobilizes a world of generous hearts to heal children’s smiles and transform lives across the globe. Our network of volunteers works worldwide to repair childhood facial deformities including cleft lips and cleft palates.
They've been doing this remarkable work for almost 30 years.
Quote:

Founded in 1982, Operation Smile, headquartered in Norfolk, Virginia, is a worldwide children’s medical charity whose network of global volunteers are dedicated to helping improve the health and lives of children and young adults. Since its founding, Operation Smile volunteers have treated more than 130,000 children born with cleft lips, cleft palates and other facial deformities and the organization has a presence in 51 countries. In addition to contributing free medical treatment, Operation Smile trains local medical professionals in its partner countries and leaves behind crucial equipment to lay the groundwork for long-term self-sufficiency.
My old friend Fat Larry just returned from one of the missions to Jordan, and sent me a link to his pictures.
I figured since we're all friends here, you might like a backstage peek at some of the patients and the wonderful people that do this volunteer work.

A child in need ---------------------------------------------A worried mother with her fixed up, gooder than new, baby.

http://cellar.org/2009/larry1.jpg

Ah, the beauty and the beast. :haha:

http://cellar.org/2009/larry2.jpg

These Doctors, Nurses, Technicians, and certainly the patients and their families, thank you for your support.

Shawnee123 03-15-2009 08:44 PM

Oh bless them. This is a worthy cause and I'm glad it's getting some attention.

Thanks Bruce.

spudcon 03-15-2009 10:17 PM

Those doctors and volunteers must have a lot of money to do what they're doing. We should raise taxes on rich people like them!

xoxoxoBruce 03-15-2009 10:19 PM

No, they only need a couple weeks off from work. The organization pays the expenses.

hipshot 03-15-2009 11:00 PM

BRAVO TO YOU LARRY AND TO YOUR PARTNERS!!!! Showing the world a little love by fixing their kids can only be good...:thumb: :D :thumb:

capnhowdy 03-16-2009 08:27 AM

See.... there IS good on this planet.

classicman 03-16-2009 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 545610)
No, they only need a couple weeks off from work. The organization pays the expenses.

Although your friend may be compensated for their expenses, many people who do this are not. They volunteer not only their time, but in some cases the materials and are not compensated for lost work or use their own vacation time.
Regardless, I applaud any and all of them that do this type of work/volunteering. Many of them go to very distant places and are at personal risk while doing so.

spudcon 03-16-2009 12:21 PM

My feelings exactly, Classic. I'm sure there are people in other professions who use their wealth for good, and who don't publicize it. Our employees in Washington think they should raise their taxes, because the government can do a better job. Apart from waging war, I can't think of a thing that private enterprise can't do better than government.

sweetwater 03-16-2009 01:24 PM

That's quite a talent - operate on just one small face, but put a smile on faces around the world. Good job, people!:grouphug:

monster 03-16-2009 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spudcon (Post 545609)
Those doctors and volunteers must have a lot of money to do what they're doing. We should raise taxes on rich people like them!

WHAT? Aren't the Doctors volunteers too? Why must they have a lot of money? And why should they do it quietly? the more people who know about it, the more money will be donated, the more kids will be helped....

I think it's a great program, particularly as it focuses on a problem that is often not literally life-threatening, but pretty much ensures the kids will have no chance to escape their poverty unless the freak-show is hiring. And it trains local physicians to take over when they leave. Excellent.

xoxoxoBruce 03-16-2009 10:26 PM

Yes, everyone is volunteering their time and expertise. No one is being compensated for time off from work. I don't know where in hell Classic got that from. The equipment and air travel is provided by Operation Smile.

classicman 03-16-2009 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicman (Post 545755)
Although your friend may be compensated for their expenses, many people who do this are not.

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 545936)
I don't know where in hell Classic got that from.

Read my post Bruce - I was talking from my personal experience and I clearly stated that I was NOT talking about your friend. I was talking about other health care professionals.

xoxoxoBruce 03-16-2009 11:27 PM

Well I was talking about Operation Smile.

classicman 03-16-2009 11:51 PM

lol - I got that. I really didn't mean to offend or detract from this at all.