The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Image of the Day (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   1/1/2004: S. Korean farmer protests with pig (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=4712)

Undertoad 01-01-2004 01:26 PM

1/1/2004: S. Korean farmer protests with pig

http://cellar.org/2003/pigprotest.jpg

Thousands of local farmers rallied on Tuesday outside Seoul's National Assembly Hall to protest the ratification of a free trade agreement with Chile in Seoul.

And apparently they brought their livestock.

xoxoxoBruce 01-01-2004 01:29 PM

Why are he and the pig so happy looking? The other pigs are not.;)

emmtayoe 01-01-2004 02:50 PM

I bet they are just unhappy to be arresting a member of the family...I don't blame them, I would be too. :(

Beletseri 01-01-2004 03:14 PM

I think that farmer is a woman, and the pig might be a girl too.

Sun_Sparkz 01-01-2004 04:21 PM

I don't think that pig looks happy, i think it looks scared and uncomfortable. it looks like like its squealing, poor thing wouldn't know what is going on. I would be in more support of a protest against the farmers in their treatment and disrespect of their animals.

emmtayoe 01-01-2004 05:55 PM

It looks like the pig is lauging at something with an incredibly dumb expression on its face...almost high and in a state of disconnected bliss. For example, Beavis and Butthead, from what I've seen, have this expression on their face rather often. That is just what I see in this pig, but I'm not one to know the behavior of animals. :confused:

Oh and the pigs in uniform, however, look as though they long to get in a high, blissful state.

Leus 01-02-2004 02:36 PM

Haw, didn't know my little country was so important to other people...

And as today we have a free trade agreement with USA too. Which means... cheap computers! cheaper cars! Wheeee!

Undertoad 01-02-2004 03:14 PM

And even cheaper good wine for us?

:yum: --> :thumb:

xoxoxoBruce 01-02-2004 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Beletseri
I think that farmer is a woman, and the pig might be a girl too.
You're right. She's a she.:)

Leus 01-02-2004 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Undertoad
And even cheaper good wine for us?

:yum: --> :thumb:

That's right -- good cheap wine. Not french, mind you, but more bang for the buck (got that right?)

xoxoxoBruce 01-03-2004 12:59 AM

Are grapes a big crop there, Leus?

Katkeeper 01-04-2004 05:41 AM

Yes, I want to know about the wine as well. Grapes, quality, production, price. What are the bst areas for grape growing/wine production?

Leus 01-05-2004 06:42 AM

We have a fairly decent production; our wine production has become a major player in our world presence the last decade, and now you can find chilean wine in most hotels in the world. Grapes are okay; some years ago, we even were boicotted (sp?) by US producers who were threatened with our quality and, specially, price --do a search for "cyanide chilean grapes" and you'll find a very amusing albeit serious story.
Edit: That "producers who were threatened" phrase is somewhat unfortunate. Some people thinks it was just the most expensive phone prank ever. The boicott theory is plausible, but most likely bogus.

Leus 01-05-2004 06:46 AM

Oh, areas of production: Colchagua Valley, Maipo Valley, Maule, Casablanca. Those came to mind right now.

Good cheap wines: "Reserva de Familia Errazuriz", which cost about 10 bucks, "Medalla Real Santa Emiliana", about US$5, the most classic of our wines, "Casillero del Diablo", about US$5 as well.

Good "expensive" wines: lots, prices between US$30 and US$60. Any wine in this category is good enough.

If anybody is willing to pay the postage, I can give one of the cheap ones for free ;)

Katkeeper 01-05-2004 07:37 AM

We might not only have to pay the postage but also the fine for bringing an alcoholic beverage into the U.S. And Pennsylvania will not allow wine to be shipped into it from another state.

Absurd laws.