The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Image of the Day (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   9/22/2003: Indonesians kick at terror (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=3997)

Undertoad 09-22-2003 01:31 PM

9/22/2003: Indonesians kick at terror

http://cellar.org/2003/indonesiakick.jpg

Oh brother. The official caption says Indonesia's corporately attired Presidential Guards show off their martial art skills at an anti-terror drill in Jakarta. I really don't know what to make of this.

Denbeste has said that Indonesian government's response to the war on terror was originally weak, at least until the huge bombing in Bali. But I'm not sure the response of having an outfit of western-suited martial artist wankers is going to have much of an impact.

Then again, we see repeated video tape of terrorists going over monkey bars as some sort of exercise. It's good training for hijackers because you never know when a jungle gym is going to suddenly present itself from out of nowhere.

dar512 09-22-2003 03:06 PM

Or Maybe it's really tryouts for the chorus line of the new James Bond musical.

ferkelparade 09-22-2003 03:56 PM

What I find quite frightening is that this proves beyond the shadow of a doubt that the terrorists are the Good Guys here. I mean, everybody knows that only the Bad Guy is protected by a cadre of kickboxing kung fu monkeys. Were the president actually the Good Guy, he'd be the greatest kickboxer alive, would battle his way through terrorist hordes and finally defeat the terrorist head honcho in a dramatic showdown involving a number of white doves.

xoxoxoBruce 09-22-2003 04:23 PM

Well don't you think OUR Secret Service Agents are trained in the Martial Arts? I think "Presidential Guards" would be the same thing and nothing like Republican Guards. But Bush's Secret Service guys would be Republican Guards. I'm so confused. :confused:

dave 09-22-2003 04:40 PM

Our guys aren't trained in martial arts because you can't karate chop someone when two bullets have been placed through your mouth.

daniwong 09-22-2003 06:25 PM

Well - I know that I am now scared of Indonesia. I mean - mean in suits trained at kick boxing??!!! Saddam better run if they come after him!!!!:p

Undertoad 09-22-2003 06:51 PM

They must have an executive tailor who's good at reinforcing crotch seams.

bjlhct 09-22-2003 10:27 PM

Those explosives are no match for my mad kickboxing skillz!

The sad thing is that there are sillier things being done over here. Library monitoring?

Elspode 09-23-2003 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by dave
Our guys aren't trained in martial arts because you can't karate chop someone when two bullets have been placed through your mouth.
Reminds me of that old joke..."Karate chop from China!"

'.357 Magnum from Smith and Wesson!"

warch 09-23-2003 12:52 PM

An easycare, stain resistant wool/lycra blend, tailored for the active male. Made in Indonesia, of course.

OnyxCougar 09-23-2003 01:23 PM

Everybody was kung foo fighteeeeeeeeng!!! In fact it was a litte bit frightneeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeng!!

***slinks away***

dave 09-23-2003 01:35 PM

Actually, you forgot the second line, which is

"Those cats were fast as lightning"

OnyxCougar 09-23-2003 01:40 PM

Didn't forget it, just wasn't sure if I knew all the words correctly. And I don't know how fast these cats are. So I skipped it, as opposed to looking silly.

Whit 09-23-2003 01:53 PM

Quote:

Our guys aren't trained in martial arts
      Actually they are, quite heavily as a matter of fact. Just not Kung Fu theater type stuff. So are all law enforcement officers and even soldiers are trained in some basic hand-to-hand in basic training. Of course you can only squeeze so much in to a few weeks of training. I've trained with a lot of cops that wanted to improve their skills beyond the training provided. The Secret Service though? Oh yeah, those guys have years of training. They can do a hell of a lot more than shoot you.

bjlhct 09-24-2003 03:57 PM

OK ... Defendu?