The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Image of the Day (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   July 29, 2009: Built-in Phone (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=20764)

xoxoxoBruce 07-29-2009 12:53 AM

July 29, 2009: Built-in Phone

Built-in your house? Built-in your car? Built-in your briefcase, eyeglasses, toothbrush?

Nooooo, built-in you!

http://cellar.org/2009/tattoodisplay.jpg

Quote:

The basis of the 2x4-inch "Digital Tattoo Interface" is a Bluetooth device made of thin, flexible silicon and silicone. Itīs inserted through a small incision as a tightly rolled tube, and then it unfurls beneath the skin to align between skin and muscle. Through the same incision, two small tubes on the device are attached to an artery and a vein to allow the blood to flow to a coin-sized blood fuel cell that converts glucose and oxygen to electricity. After blood flows in from the artery to the fuel cell, it flows out again through the vein.

On both the top and bottom surfaces of the display is a matching matrix of field-producing pixels. The top surface also enables touch-screen control through the skin. Instead of ink, the display uses tiny microscopic spheres, somewhat similar to tattoo ink. A field-sensitive material in the spheres changes their color from clear to black, aligned with the matrix fields.

The tattoo display communicates wirelessly to other Bluetooth devices - both in the outside world and within the same body. Although the device is always on (as long as your bloodīs flowing), the display can be turned off and on by pushing a small dot on the skin. When the phone rings, for example, an individual turns the display on, and "the tattoo comes to life as a digital video of the caller," Mielke explains. When the call ends, the tattoo disappears.
Anybody that puts one of these in their body is a goddamn fool.
Seriously kids, stick to alcohol and drugs. ;)

link

SPUCK 07-29-2009 05:24 AM

I'm with you there..

Ibby 07-29-2009 05:53 AM

dude where do i sign up i want one
fserious

you think your iphone's cool? check THIS.

ZenGum 07-29-2009 06:47 AM

... until someone figures out how to hack it.

The idea is teetering between brilliant and insane. Possibly both.

Although, from the link, it seems it is more of a demonstration of concept than a fully ready device.

I think the blood-fuel cell is the most interesting thing about it. Googling seems to confirm that this actually works. Cool. And possibly useful.

capnhowdy 07-29-2009 07:06 AM

Pushing the envelope, to say the least. Where does it end?

glatt 07-29-2009 07:19 AM

I'm sure it sounds crystal clear. What with the microphone picking up your muffled voice through your skin, the sound of blood rushing, etc. And the speaker has to be fantastic for the same reasons. Maybe they can snake a wire up to your eardrum to vibrate that so you can hear the other party.

ZenGum 07-29-2009 07:21 AM

You could implant one in someone's back and text KICK ME to it. :)

TheMercenary 07-29-2009 08:26 AM

Or have some hot lady put it inside her inner thigh. So if you are going down on her you can still make a few calls. :D

Sheldonrs 07-29-2009 08:46 AM

I thought this was already posted in The WTF NSFW thread with the pic of the guy with the phone in his ass.

:D

ajaccio 07-29-2009 09:18 AM

Um. So. If you have in incoming call, do you put your hand up to your ear to hear it and talk into your wrist to answer...?
:blah:

SteveDallas 07-29-2009 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMercenary (Post 584934)
Or have some hot lady put it inside her inner thigh. So if you are going down on her you can still make a few calls. :D

I'm thinking lower back...

Sheldonrs 07-29-2009 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajaccio (Post 584948)
Um. So. If you have in incoming call, do you put your hand up to your ear to hear it and talk into your wrist to answer...?
:blah:

Talk to the hand!!!

Shawnee123 07-29-2009 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveDallas (Post 584949)
I'm thinking lower back...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheldonrs (Post 584961)
Talk to the hand!!!

Talk to the booty 'cause the hand's off duty

(my 9 year old niece told me that one.) :rolleyes:

monster 07-29-2009 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMercenary (Post 584934)

or stream the video live....

imagine if you accidentally speed-dialed her mom...... or dad.... :eek:

monster 07-29-2009 10:33 AM

Soooooo......

the blood fuel cell uses stuff from my body to make energy..... does that mean if I have enough of them I'll get thinner without exercising? And if so, what to do with all that energy....?

Built-in vibrator anyone? :eek:

did I type that aloud?

:lol: