The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Home Base (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Are you green? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=17142)

Drax 04-29-2008 11:31 PM

Are you green?

Environmentally speaking.

lumberjim 04-30-2008 12:00 AM

I'm pink.

Crimson Ghost 04-30-2008 12:40 AM

I'm more of a crimson.

NoBoxes 04-30-2008 03:47 AM

I used to be olive drab, spent a lot of time in the environment, and always used catholes.

Trilby 04-30-2008 06:14 AM

Purple.

Buffalo Bill 04-30-2008 06:31 AM

I recycle twice as much as my neighbors, so, I think that I can say that I'm greener than most.

ferret88 04-30-2008 07:42 AM

I'm wearing a green shirt today...

Dingleschmutz 04-30-2008 07:59 AM

I put hippies in recycling machines.

sweetwater 04-30-2008 08:03 AM

I try constantly to go without, reuse, reduce, & recycle, but the cans/jars bin attracted mice in the garage and I set traps. That probably undoes all the positive effort, but we will be using a big covered waste bin (once we finish using it on another project) to save cans/jars/ and the future mice. So I'm cat-eye green.

glatt 04-30-2008 08:15 AM

Great way to be green is to stop throwing stuff away. Fix it instead. And buy stuff that can be fixed whenever possible.

I just repaired some old stereo speakers by installing new foam surrounds. Saved about 30 pounds from the landfill, saved the pollution associated with manufacturing new speakers in China, and saved a couple hundred bucks.

Am I green? No. But I try.

Dingleschmutz 04-30-2008 08:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 449752)
Great way to be green is to stop throwing stuff away. Fix it instead. And buy stuff that can be fixed whenever possible.

I just repaired some old stereo speakers by installing new foam surrounds. Saved about 30 pounds from the landfill, saved the pollution associated with manufacturing new speakers in China, and saved a couple hundred bucks.

Am I green? No. But I try.

sweetwater 04-30-2008 08:31 AM

Recently moved from a town that still had a cobbler. We had several pairs of shoes and other leather items repaired or resoled at his shop, and only cost a couple of bucks. He was an old man, though, and is going to die with no apprentice to take over. It's a shame that old skills are going like that. We need Foxfire books for these times. Author! Author!

Cloud 04-30-2008 08:43 AM

I use compact fluorescent bulbs, and I use my pressure washing machine and spin dryer, which uses soooo much less water and electricity. But I throw away too much stuff. Whatever happened to trash compactors?

I recently read a story (sorry, can't remember where) about a guy fighting his garbage bill because he generates -- NO -- garbage. None. I'm thinking, how is this possible?

I bet they could reduce waste drastically by charging by volume. (Or do they--dunno, I live in apartment.)

xoxoxoBruce 04-30-2008 09:14 AM

Quote:

I recently read a story (sorry, can't remember where) about a guy fighting his garbage bill because he generates -- NO -- garbage. None. I'm thinking, how is this possible?
I put out one bag of trash every three weeks or so, but pay the same as my neighbors that put out five or six barrels every week.

Sundae 04-30-2008 09:27 AM

We (HM & I) generate a small carrier bag worth of landfill between us every two weeks - mostly packaging that states it cannot be recylced, and a litter bit of cat litter.

I always take my own bags to go shopping and don't use any extra packaging in store (ie separate bags for fruit & veg, bakery items)
We use energy saving light bulbs and always run a full load if using the dishwasher, turn lights off when leaving rooms and (on my part) keep any heating to an absolute minimum.

I'm not very green, but I do try my best to consider the impact of my actions on the environment on a daily basis. Sometimes it takes someone else to point it out to me (like not running water while I clean my teeth) but I reckon I have the big things nailed.