The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Image of the Day (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Jan 20, 2010: Retriever (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=21914)

xoxoxoBruce 01-20-2010 01:37 AM

Jan 20, 2010: Retriever

What do retrievers do? Retrieve.
Quote:

Bronson is a retriever extraordinaire. Ducks are his specialty, and sometimes cell phones and other out-of-place odds and ends.
But this 11-year-old black lab recently came up to his owners with a startling quarry: A deadly copperhead snake.
http://cellar.org/2010/retriever.jpg

Quote:

His owners were able to use his excellent training to help them get him out of his scary situation alive. Deborah put a chaff bag on the ground and pulled it up over the bottom of the snake and released its coil from Bronson’s snout. Then she gave the command.
“And as soon I said ‘Give’ he dropped it right into the bag and we sealed up the ends,” she says.
Good grief... I think I'd have gotten a good hold on the snake's head with a pair of vice-grips first. :mg:

Quote:

They rushed Bronson to their local vet, where tests showed he had been bitten at some point during his adventure. He spent four days on a drip at the vet’s, and is now fully recovered.
link

SPUCK 01-20-2010 05:12 AM

Stay tuned when next week Bronson retrieves a (fill in the blank)!

DanaC 01-20-2010 05:17 AM

Stay tuned when next week Bronson retrieves a small semi-detached house!

capnhowdy 01-20-2010 06:56 AM

We graduate from turduckhen to snakeador. Par boil prior to grilling.

sandypossum 01-20-2010 07:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Yarragon, where Bronson & co live, is not far from us. We have copperheads and tiger snakes on our property too. We've been planning to train our new labradoodle pup not to approach them, but haven't got round to it. This is reminds me that we should do it sooner rather than later.

Our snake rule is: if they're in the paddocks or by the dam, they can stay. If they come into the garden - and especially near the house - they're dinner. No, really, dinner! Last summer we killed a big copperhead on our veranda. We peeled him and cured the skin. And then when he was nekkid, my other half said we may as well eat him. So we marinaded it and fried it up... mmmmmmistake! Tastes like chicken, but with the consistency of bicycle tyre. He was showing photos of it to his colleagues that week (he's a "new Australian" so this was his first big snake encounter) and the Chinese and Vietnamese colleagues almost pissed themselves laughing at the way we cooked it. They said snake has to be chopped up small and stewed. We now have a waiting list for the next snake dinner (Chinese, Vietnamese and British/West Indian). Strictly speaking, all snakes are protected in Australia, so this is the only way for them to eat snake. (Okay, take it away Sheldon!)

Trilby 01-20-2010 07:38 AM

I do not eat serpents, Sir. may I say: Yeeeee - Uck.

monster 01-20-2010 07:50 AM

We secretly replaced Bronson's leash with a deadly copperhead snake. Let's see if his owners notice....

TheMercenary 01-20-2010 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandypossum (Post 628425)
Yarragon, where Bronson & co live, is not far from us. We have copperheads and tiger snakes on our property too. We've been planning to train our new labradoodle pup not to approach them, but haven't got round to it. This is reminds me that we should do it sooner rather than later.

Good idea. Our Aussie Cattle Dog got bit by a Eastern Diamondback late last year.

Pete Zicato 01-20-2010 08:58 AM

Thus we see the very beginning of the new copperhead retriever breed.

Shawnee123 01-20-2010 09:00 AM

A labracoppo!

newtimer 01-20-2010 10:03 AM

This is exactly why some of us prefer to live in a little cabin at the North Pole. Why would anybody want to live in a place where poisonous things are slithering on the ground, waiting to bite you?

Trilby 01-20-2010 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newtimer (Post 628476)
This is exactly why some of us prefer to live in a little cabin at the North Pole. Why would anybody want to live in a place where poisonous things are slithering on the ground, waiting to bite you?

exactly. I fee the same way about alligators and crocodiles. They're always wanting to bite you.

jinx 01-20-2010 10:11 AM

Scorpions. <shudder>

Gravdigr 01-20-2010 02:25 PM

Stay tuned when next week Bronson retrieves a big-ass can of snake repellant.:thepain:

Nirvana 01-20-2010 02:40 PM

I cannot wrap my mind around " look honey there is a snake! Lets eat it!":greenface