The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Food and Drink (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Come Mr. Tally man... (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=11739)

footfootfoot 09-14-2006 04:15 PM

Come Mr. Tally man...

Inch and I cruised over to the coop today and scored 10 pounds of "ready to go" organic bananas, at a drastic price reduction. That's a whole lotta potassium.

Thanks to the infite wisdom of the cellar and in particular the fair clodfobble, I peeled and froze much of the lot in zip lock bags.

When his inchliness wakes from his nap we'll make banana bread with pecans and maple syrup.

Just thought I'd share my banana boon.

Pie 09-14-2006 04:33 PM

Try adding cardamom to (some of) the bread... It's a great combo with ber-naners.

I miss 'em. Too high a GI for me... :sniff:

Clodfobble 09-14-2006 05:48 PM

Don't forget banana smoothies for breakfast! :yum:

Happy Monkey 09-14-2006 06:51 PM

Peanut butter and banana sammiches are tasty, too!

Griff 09-14-2006 07:41 PM

banana pancakes!
and of course banana wine

Elspode 09-14-2006 09:40 PM

And make sure 'Silla makes you some fried peanut butter n' nanna samiches...

How much per pound on that drastic price reduction, then?

footfootfoot 09-14-2006 10:45 PM

.60/lb for organic, usually they are in the .90s.

Not sure what the rest of the world pays.

And ladies and gentlemen the banana breads are out of the oven!

mit cardamom, and pecans. most yummy.

wolf 09-15-2006 12:32 AM

Get thee a copy of the "Hershey's Chocolate Treasury Cookbook."

Make the Chocolate Banana Bread. Add Chocolate Chunks to the mix. Or white chocolate if you're in that kind of mood, but I'm a purist.

I can post the recipe later, but I don't have it in hand at the moment.

incommunicadocat 09-15-2006 12:44 AM

Strange thing, I didn't eat bananas for years. Couldn't stand the texture, nor the taste. Didn't mind dried bananas so much, but wouldn't go near fresh ones. Then I accidentally ate some in a fruit salad and thought 'what a lovely thing' and found myself wondering what had turned me off them for so long. After a great deal of soul searching I remembered an ex telling me how much he hated them and so I stopped buying them while he lived with me. Silly suggestible me. Won't tell you the other things he convinced me to try, or not do. Now I've converted back to the banana, Australia don't have none, as they were all blown away by a cyclone.
Incidentally, that particular ex could self-fellate. So why no banana?

Beestie 09-15-2006 01:34 AM

Hey! I just made bananananana smoothies for the kids 2 nights in a row!

And I love a bananananaa and mayonaise sammich from time to time. My dear old Mom used to make 'em for me. Then, she's smack me upside my head but that's another story.

Oh. And my favorite desert of all time: bananananas Foster. I make it all the time. Pour over vanilla ice cream. And dont forget the rum. I recommend extra rum. Lotsa rum. But not for the inchling. :3eye:

footfootfoot 09-15-2006 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolf
Get thee a copy of the "Hershey's Chocolate Treasury Cookbook."

Make the Chocolate Banana Bread. Add Chocolate Chunks to the mix. Or white chocolate if you're in that kind of mood, but I'm a purist.

I can post the recipe later, but I don't have it in hand at the moment.

In a moment of pure gestalt I was walking from the mixer carrying the wet ingredients toward the counter where the dry ingredients were sitting and right behind the bowl, perfectly lined up, like navigational lights in the Inland Passage was a can of Ghirardeli's chocolate powder. I had the thought "I wonder if chocolate in this banana bread would be simply awesome or a complete crash and burn?

I took the safe route, but next time I'll give those moments of insight a deeper look.

Quote:

Originally Posted by incommunicadocat
Silly suggestible me. Won't tell you the other things he convinced me to try, or not do. Now I've converted back to the banana, Australia don't have none, as they were all blown away by a cyclone.
Incidentally, that particular ex could self-fellate. So why no banana?

OK this had been a family thread until you brought up self fellation. So now you should feel compelled to tell us the other things he convinced you try and not do. It's a standard cellar penalty, ask anyone. :p And welcome to the cellar.

Quote:

Originally Posted by beestie
Oh. And my favorite desert of all time: bananananas Foster. I make it all the time. Pour over vanilla ice cream. And dont forget the rum. I recommend extra rum. Lotsa rum. But not for the inchling.

Not Foster's Lager, I hope. Isn't rum how everyone puts their kids to sleep?

incommunicadocat 09-16-2006 08:41 PM

OK this had been a family thread until you brought up self fellation. So now you should feel compelled to tell us the other things he convinced you try and not do. It's a standard cellar penalty, ask anyone. And welcome to the cellar.

Ahhhhh, the stories, the stories. Too dire to tell, methinks. Ånd perhaps the most dire of them all is... Reader, I married him. At four in the morning, with no celebrant, his drummer as bishop and drummers' girlfriend as maid of honour. An illegal blood letting ceremony with (!!!Thank All The Stars In Heaven And Every Beneficient Entity!!!) nothing legally binding us together.

And once we did the deed at a gig. In the middle of the crowd. I had a short skirt on. I don't THINK anyone noticed. So maybe we weren't doing it right?

Ahhhh.... The stories, the stories. Sex, Drugs, Rock 'n' Roll... but no bananas.

wolf 03-28-2009 12:49 PM

Better Late than Never

Chocolate Banana Bread

1 1/2 cups unsifted all purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
2/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup mashed ripe banana (about 3 small)
2 eggs, beaten
Confectioners' sugar (optional)

Combine flour, coca, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in large mixing bowl.
Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
Add mashed bananas and eggs.
Stir until just blended.

Pour into greased and floured 9 1/4" X 5 1/4" X 2 3/4" loaf pan. Bake at 350 F for 50 to 55 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean.
Cool 10 minutes, remove from pan.
Cool completely on wire rack.
Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar, if desired.

Variation: Fruited chocolate banana bread; add 1 cup raisins or finely chopped dried apricots to batter.

The only thing I do differently from the official recipe, is add a full bag of chocolate chunks rather than using the suggestion of 1 cup from the fruited variation above.

richlevy 03-28-2009 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by incommunicadocat (Post 266257)
An illegal blood letting ceremony

Now that is sick and twisted. Everyone knows that there should be no bloodletting in marriage until the divorce.;)

Sheldonrs 03-28-2009 10:51 PM

Bananas can be used as food too? Cool! I usually throw them out when I'm done with them.

hehehe