The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Image of the Day (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   June 30, 2010: Bike Lane (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=23044)

xoxoxoBruce 06-29-2010 11:02 PM

June 30, 2010: Bike Lane

There, in the night... Ahhwooooo... Bike lanes of London, Ahwooooo!

http://cellar.org/2010/cyclelaneop.jpg
photo credit: jamesup

Quote:

Spotted last night along Southwark Street. Two chaps constructing one of London's new Cycle Superhighways (sorry, Barclays Cycle Superhighways). Specifically, route CS7, due to connect Merton to the City with a continuous blue line from this summer. What we hadn't realised was how these things are laid. Wherever the azure lane needs a special marking, these fellows take out a flat-pack kit and 'iron on' the symbol like a transfer. Who knew?
Must be the perspective but the lane in between the two bike lanes look pretty narrow.:confused:

link

HungLikeJesus 06-29-2010 11:12 PM

I wonder if they're slippery when wet. Does it rain much there?

xoxoxoBruce 06-29-2010 11:18 PM

Does it rain much in London? :eek:

Gravdigr 06-30-2010 01:02 AM

:lol2:

Antimatter 06-30-2010 03:18 AM

If they're anything like the ones in Copenhagen they're coarse enough not to get slippery when wet.

xoxoxoBruce 06-30-2010 03:22 AM

I don't know about Europe, but the plastic lines and letters they put down here are slippery as shit.

Griff 06-30-2010 05:40 AM

Yeah, but we don't have bikes here.

xoxoxoBruce 06-30-2010 05:47 AM

Them ain't horses I'm trying to avoid on the road.

Griff 06-30-2010 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 667517)
Them ain't horses I'm trying to avoid on the road.

Try harder. ;)

We've almost given up rode riding. It used to be you'd get the occasional jack-ass swerving and laying on the horn but now it is some form of aggression pretty much every time out no matter how carefully you follow the rules of the road. A lot of cyclists ride like punks now feeding that violence. hmmm... sounds like a foru...

squirell nutkin 06-30-2010 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 667518)
Try harder. ;)

We've almost given up rode riding. It used to be you'd get the occasional jack-ass swerving and laying on the horn but now it is some form of aggression pretty much every time out no matter how carefully you follow the rules of the road. A lot of cyclists ride like punks now feeding that violence. hmmm... sounds like a foru...

That's why I stopped riding. I'd consider riding again if I were armed. A bullet through the windshield amy make drivers think twice before hassling cyclists. And by hassling I mean throwing things, hitting from a moving car, side swiping, and general menacing.

The cat calls and honks are nothing.

HungLikeJesus 06-30-2010 07:55 AM

Last year in Colorado they passed a law that a car passing a bicycle must give three feet clearance. That seems to have helped.

newtimer 06-30-2010 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by squirell nutkin (Post 667531)
A bullet through the windshield amy make drivers think twice before hassling cyclists.

Amy sound like tough character. She not afraid of big cars. Bet she graduated from all-girls school in Afghanistan.

classicman 06-30-2010 08:22 AM

hahaha -

Antimatter 06-30-2010 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by squirell nutkin (Post 667531)
That's why I stopped riding. I'd consider riding again if I were armed. A bullet through the windshield amy make drivers think twice before hassling cyclists. And by hassling I mean throwing things, hitting from a moving car, side swiping, and general menacing.

The cat calls and honks are nothing.

Whoa, you guys have serious problems over there! I knew bicycling wasn't as widespread in the states as it is in Denmark, but I had no idea motorists are acting hostilely towards bicycle riders.

jinx 06-30-2010 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HungLikeJesus (Post 667534)
Last year in Colorado they passed a law that a car passing a bicycle must give three feet clearance. That seems to have helped.

Great idea. :thumbsup:
Especially if bikers are required to stick to roads where there's 3 feet to give.