The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Cities and Travel (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Bournemouth, England (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=10559)

Pie 04-21-2006 04:56 PM

Bournemouth, England

Badger and I will be in Bournemouth, England for the next week. Anyone got suggestions of what's cool to see? We've already got Stonehenge on the list. :D We'll have some free time, but we're mostly there to lend moral support to my parents while my dad undergoes chemotherapy at the University.
Thanks in advance,
- Pie

twentycentshift 04-21-2006 05:47 PM

travel north, to liverpool. very nice people up there, and lots to do. helps if you're into the beatles, but even if you're not, go check out matthew street. it's not as "rough" of a city as you may have heard. wonderful place.

Pie 04-21-2006 06:09 PM

Thanks for the thought but Liverpool is a little further away than we can manage! We might have 5 or 6 hours to spare here and there, not days! Liverpool is ~260 miles away, according to google.

twentycentshift 04-21-2006 07:00 PM

yeah, it's a good trip.

enjoy england. i really loved it.

JayMcGee 04-21-2006 07:07 PM

Liverpool is def out of reach if you only havwe a few hours. Stonehenge is OK , but TBH not a lot to see there....

Brighton and it's Pavillion are an hour or so up the road, and well worth a look.

Poole, an old harbour town, is just down the coast from Bournemouth.

And, of course, you're within striking distance of Southampton, Portsmouth (home to the Royal Navy), Winchester and even the Isle of Wight.

I hope you enjoy your stay in England, as much as you can given the circumstances.

xoxoxoBruce 04-22-2006 08:51 AM

You can be part of an Art Installation. :D

carouselle 04-22-2006 11:18 AM

If you are going to see Stonehenge, then make sure you also see nearby Avebury, which is nowhere near as famous as Stonehenge but it ought to be. It is one of the largest standing-stone complexes in the world, big enough to encircle the entire village. If should provide you with more to explore than Stonehenge will.

xoxoxoBruce 04-23-2006 01:10 PM

I don't understand why they think Avebury is anything more than a fortification. :confused:

Griff 04-23-2006 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pie
...but we're mostly there to lend moral support to my parents while my dad undergoes chemotherapy at the University.
Thanks in advance,
- Pie

Do they have a new therapy there?

Cyclefrance 04-25-2006 04:53 AM

Missed this earlier. Depending upon your interests, I would head west towards Swanage and the coastal path as natural history abounds!

Take in the following:

Studland Bay Nature Reserve
Old Harry Rocks
Lulworth Cove
Durdle Door
Corfe Castle

Amazing coastline with ample evidence of pre-historic fossils and great scenery and wildlife - weather looks as though it may be reasonable to good too!

jaguar 04-25-2006 01:51 PM

I advise driving to brighton. Stonehenge, partly due to the shoddy setup for tourists is surprisingly underwhelming.

Pie 04-30-2006 08:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi everybody, I'm finally back in the land of the Internet. Everything seems to be going well on the medical front -- my father is responding very well to the treatment! Yippee! :D
We did get to Stonehenge, as well as Salisbury Cathedral, Corfe Castle, Sherborne Castle, St. Hengistbury Head, St. Aldhelm's Head, Christchurch Priory, and many pubs. I'll post some pics in the next few days as I get over the jetlag.
Thanks for all your suggestions... We'll definitely be going back to the UK one of these days, and we'll keep them all in mind.
Meanwhile, here's Stonehenge on Mars.

xoxoxoBruce 05-02-2006 05:36 PM

That's good news, Pie. Welcome back. :D