The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Image of the Day (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   March 1, 2009: It's Greek to Me! (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=19655)

Clodfobble 02-28-2009 10:30 PM

March 1, 2009: It's Greek to Me!

Did you know that the expression "it was Greek to me" was first coined by Shakespeare? Yep, Julius Caesar, Act I, Scene 2. But what do the Greeks say, when they find something to be incomprehensible? Well, turns out they have expressions that indicate something is either "Arabic" or "Chinese." But what idioms do those cultures use as the pinnacle of confusing nonsense? Wait, wait, this could get complicated. Let's make a chart. Or rather, let's just look at one that someone else already made, posted on Strange Maps.

http://cellar.org/2009/LanguageMap.JPG

Looks like we're not alone; five other languages reference Greek. The most universally-confusing language is apparently Chinese, with eleven languages deferring to its incomprehensibility. And the only language the Chinese think is beyond them? Oh, just the language of God.

xoxoxoBruce 03-01-2009 12:26 AM

I wonder why the Russians get two arrows to Chinese?
It's interesting the Chinese, with half the world pointing at them, only point to "Heavenly Script". Guess they think everyone else is scrutable.

Kolbenfresser 03-01-2009 04:32 AM

German?

Since Germany is not mentionend at all, I suppose there is nothing incomprehensible for us at all :-)
And don't bug me with alternative interpretations.
By the way, I personally like to refer to Portuguese and Polish.

DanaC 03-01-2009 05:22 AM

How the hell is German missing from that map? lol

Lovely idea though:)

I like that the two end points are Heavenly Script and Hindi.

apropos of nothing: i wish I could remember the words, but as a youngling I was rocked with a Hindi lullaby.

Trilby 03-01-2009 08:22 AM

Where's Navajo?

Gravdigr 03-01-2009 05:13 PM

No Sanskrit? Where is Sanskrit?? The Sanskritians (Sanskrites?) are gonna be pissed.:headshake

Beestie 03-01-2009 05:19 PM

Well, if you can understand German then you can understand pretty much anything.

monster 03-01-2009 05:19 PM

English should have an arrow to Dutch too. Cool idea for a map, though :)

TheMercenary 03-01-2009 05:36 PM

And what about those Galic speakers. I think it is racism.

newtimer 03-01-2009 06:57 PM

Oh.
At first glance, I thought this was a chart showing what kind of restaurant different peoples prefer when they go out to eat.

That would explain why there are so many Chinese restaurants in the world, but not many English or Croatian restaurants.

Pie 03-01-2009 09:39 PM

How about Xhosa, one of the African "click" languages?

ZenGum 03-01-2009 09:51 PM

Whole thing looks double dutch to me.

ferret88 03-01-2009 10:39 PM

Y'all are missing the point.

<snip>Did you know that the expression "it was Greek to me" was first coined by Shakespeare? <edit> But what do the Greeks say, when they find something to be incomprehensible? Well, turns out they have expressions that indicate something is either "Arabic" or "Chinese." But what idioms do those cultures use as the pinnacle of confusing nonsense?<snip>

The map is not a map of language relationships. It is a map of what idiom is used by speakers of one language when referring to incomprehensible language.

xoxoxoBruce 03-01-2009 10:48 PM

Mmmmm idioms. :yum: Salt & pepper, bacon wrap, parsley, lightly broiled. Delicious.

monster 03-01-2009 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ferret88 (Post 540160)
Y'all are missing the point.

The map is not a map of language relationships. It is a map of what idiom is used by speakers of one language when referring to incomprehensible language.

who's missing the point? seems to me everyone so far understood that.... some chose to take the piss and/or play the race card.... but what's new?

btw zengum, I already covered the English > Dutch, although in hindsight, I should have suggested two arrows.....