The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Politics (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Dems 08; Tell Us Who and Why (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=11005)

Pangloss62 06-13-2006 02:51 PM

Dems 08; Tell Us Who and Why

http://www.wildfreshness.com/brian/archives/2008.jpg

MaggieL 06-13-2006 04:31 PM

Kinda speaks for itself, y'know?

And you misspelled Pat Paulsen's name.

smoothmoniker 06-13-2006 04:35 PM

I think it'll be the white guy.

Happy Monkey 06-13-2006 04:48 PM

Of the likelies? Feingold. He is pretty consistently on the right side of issues.
Of the unlikelies, I'd go for Dean or Gore. I don't think Obama's got his sea legs yet, and I don't know much about Paulson.

DanaC 06-13-2006 04:55 PM

Quote:

I think it'll be the white guy.
LOL

Pangloss62 06-13-2006 05:42 PM

White Guys

My apologies to Pat Paulsen (evidently, not Paulson). I'm old enough to remember him and his candidacies, and that funny gasoline commerical (Mobil?) where he stood in a tank with a car engine or something like that.

Obama has so much charisma, and is such a personable figure, but I agree he's just too inexperienced. Kucinich kinda bombed last time out, so he's doubtful. Dean and Clinton are two-facers that I no longer respect. A friend of mine gets inside scoop on the Biden machine and she tells me his underlings are working 24/7 to get him the press and soundbites (what it's all about, right?). As far as respectable talking heads are concerned, Feingold strikes me as a good choice.

White males? Well, if a woman like Thatcher was running, she might have a chance.

MaggieL 06-13-2006 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Monkey
Of the likelies? Feingold. He is pretty consistently on the right side of issues.
Of the unlikelies, I'd go for Dean or Gore. I don't think Obama's got his sea legs yet, and I don't know much about Paulson.

Ain't none of those guys on the *right* side of any issue. :-)

As for Pat, here's some info.http://www.paulsen.com/palb01.jpeg

MaggieL 06-13-2006 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pangloss62
White males? Well, if a woman like Thatcher was running, she might have a chance.

Not with the Dems.

Pangloss62 06-13-2006 06:34 PM

Hey Maggie:

Thanks for that Paulsen link! That guy cracked me up. Now I do remember him on Smother's Brothers. Perhaps "Laugh In?" At any rate, our country was better off with him in the race.

I'm pretty far to the left of left, but we better start thinking now who we can get into the White House. I think it's sad the the Nader voters were run out of town just for voting. What does that say about democracy? I held my nose and voted for Kerry, while my father of 82 years voted for Nader.

MaggieL 06-13-2006 06:49 PM

Quote:

Thanks for that Paulsen link! That guy cracked me up. Now I do remember him on Smother's Brothers. Perhaps "Laugh In?" At any rate, our country was better off with him in the race.

Long ago and far away. Yes, he was on Laugh-In too.

Quote:

I'm pretty far to the left of left, but we better start thinking now who we can get into the White House.

What you mean "we', kemo sabe? Got a mouse in your pocket? :-)

Condi in '08!

glatt 06-13-2006 06:49 PM

We had a Democrat primary today in Virginia, to try to find someone to oust the Republican Senator. I had a real dilemma. Hold my nose and vote for a guy everyone says has a better shot against the incumbent, or vote for a guy who reflects my values, but supposedly doesn't have a shot. I voted for the latter.

The first "more electable" guy used to be a Republican, and even endorsed (in a previous election) the incumbent he hopes to run against now. The thinking is that he's more middle of the road, and is more palatable to swing/right wing voters. I think he's a waffler, just like Kerry was. I can just imaging the political ads.

I held my nose when I voted for Kerry. I don't want to do that again.

As for this bunch of characters up there. I have no idea. It's too soon to tell. There are several who I don't want to see run. I don't want Clinton, Kerry, Gore, Obama, or Dean. Warner was a very good governor. He would be excellent running the domestic side of things as President. Beats me how he would be on foreign policy.

Urbane Guerrilla 06-19-2006 02:43 AM

Joseph Lieberman is conspicuous by his absence, which seems surprising. I'd like to see what he sounds like as a candidated unyoked from Gore. Probably wouldn't get my vote, as I don't trust the Jackass party as far as I can kick them, but I'd at least pay him attention.

Voting for Kerry, of course, was right out for me, noseholding or no: that man has proven at about every conceivable opportunity that if running the war were ever entrusted to him, he'd lose it in four months, six at the outside. We the nation don't need somebody who will move Heaven and Earth to lose a fight with antiliberty activists, slavemakers, terrorists and fascistic thugs. This man voted against supporting the Contras, too -- it's a chronic problem with him that on some level he doesn't want liberty or capitalism to prevail. So to history's ash-heap with him, and pronto.

And I see practically the entire corpus of the Democratic Presidentabili as infected with the same jaundice. They ain't got the liver to win against the jerks with a bomb and a grudge.

Pangloss62 06-21-2006 03:25 PM

And NOW Kerry shifts to the left with his advocacy of a "definite" Iraq pull-out date and the other Dems are mad at him. Lieberman says he may run as an independent. Great. Give me a Dem with some balls.

lookout123 06-21-2006 11:30 PM

oh pleasepleaseplease let napolitano run. i would love to get her the hell out of arizona, even if only for a short time.

rkzenrage 06-21-2006 11:39 PM

That whole list makes me want to drink.