The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Current Events (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Manchester blast (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=32811)

monster 05-22-2017 08:36 PM

Manchester blast

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-manchester-40007886.

I'm from there. It shouldn't make a difference. I doubt anyone I know was there, but.....

Clodfobble 05-22-2017 10:19 PM

Most of the concertgoers were kids. Fucking awful.

sexobon 05-22-2017 10:26 PM

Each attendee should get a full refund of their ticket price AND a free ticket* to another concert of their choosing**. That way those who were kiled will not have died for nothing.

* Good only at the same location.
** Just in case the suicide bomber was a disgruntled Ariana Grande fan.

How something like this could happen in a country that has a moat around it I can't imagine. OTOH, a moat is not a wall.

Too soon?

DanaC 05-23-2017 02:22 AM

Yes too soon

Griff 05-23-2017 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 989246)
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-manchester-40007886.

I'm from there. It shouldn't make a difference. I doubt anyone I know was there, but.....

It does hit harder at home, sorry.

Beest 05-23-2017 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sexobon (Post 989248)
How something like this could happen in a country that has a moat around it I can't imagine. OTOH, a moat is not a wall.

Most, all? recent terror attacks are perpetrated by citizens/ resisdents.

ISIS radicalizes people at home via youtube etc, they are not agents sent in from outside any more, that's out dated rhetoric.

xoxoxoBruce 05-23-2017 11:10 AM

He was referring to how Trump's wall would prevent that from happening here, which is of course as ridiculous a premise as the channel would prevent it there. ;)

tw 05-23-2017 11:37 AM

Britian was once protected by a moat. So terrorists built a Chunnel - defeating that protection.

sexobon 05-23-2017 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 989274)
He was referring to how Trump's wall would prevent that from happening here, which is of course as ridiculous a premise as the channel would prevent it there. ;)

I was referring to the Great Wall of China.

xoxoxoBruce 05-23-2017 04:46 PM

Well excuuuuuuse me. :p:

sexobon 05-23-2017 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beest (Post 989269)
Most, all? recent terror attacks are perpetrated by citizens/ resisdents.

ISIS radicalizes people at home via youtube etc, they are not agents sent in from outside any more, that's out dated rhetoric.

So it's largely domestic terrorism. Those citizens/residents must be very unhappy with their home. You'd think BREXIT would have cheered them up by now. I guess you just can't please some people. All in all a small price to pay for personal freedom though. You don't want Britain to become like China.

tw 05-23-2017 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sexobon (Post 989326)
You'd think BREXIT would have cheered them up by now.

Hark! An EU terrorist attacking the heartland of Brexit. It makes complete sense. Why did political spin doctors not know it first?

DanaC 05-23-2017 05:34 PM

I went to work today and a lass from my team was desperately trying to get word of her friend who took his kid sister to the concert. He wasn't answering his phone, he wasn't responding to texts.
She eventually heard from him about 2pm - his phone had powered down. He and his sister had stayed in Manchester overnight as they couldn't get a train back to Yorkshire.

Something I find very, very sad in all this, is that the bomber was only 22. He was barely a grown up himself. I'm sure he felt very grown up. A year younger than my eldest niece.

He took a couple of steps from the nest and ...

Angry and violent young men (mainly) who for whatever reason feel the world is against them, or that their parents don't understand them, or that life needs some greater meaning than it has, have always been vulnerable to extremist recruitment and/or influence. They're also vulnerable to a bunch of other stuff, like depression and suicide.

IS and their ilk are insidious. The mechanisms they employ in recruitment, whether to formal engagement or informal association, are highly sophisticated and very effectively calibrated for their target groups.

They only need to reach a handful of kids to cause unbelievable harm - both in terms of casualties and in terms of social cohesion.

And we play their game - every time we tweet or post a facebook comment that points the finger at muslims in general, we read the script they penned for us. We feed straight back into that recruitment machine.

In case you hadn't guessed from the above: I made the mistake of reading some youtube comments underneath a clip of James Corden's piece about the bombing. Just made me feel even angrier. Do they think they have more right to their outrage than Mancunian muslims? Are they more personally affected by this horror than the mostly muslim taxi drivers who ferried people about Manchester all night, for free, getting kids back to worried parents? How about the muslim concert goers?

Fucking hell, man. What a mess. 22 dead, 59 injured, and how many traumatised for life? How do you explain something like this to those kids?

sexobon 05-23-2017 07:28 PM

You just have to explain to them how much more their concert tickets would cost to pay for proper security screening and how much longer they would have to stand in line for everyone to get screened. I'm sure they'd agree that taking their chances on what happened was the better option.

While you're at it, tell them how lucky they were that NHS support wasn't taken down by hackers at the same time; because, NHS is still running Windows XP with all its vulnerabilities. Point out how much they're saving on taxes by not upgrading.

You just have to say what the young people are wanting to hear, that you're saving them money; then, they'll calm down and everything will be hunky-dory.

xoxoxoBruce 05-23-2017 11:03 PM

Quote:

Angry and violent young men (mainly) who for whatever reason feel the world is against them, or that their parents don't understand them, or that life needs some greater meaning than it has, have always been vulnerable to extremist recruitment and/or influence. They're also vulnerable to a bunch of other stuff, like depression and suicide.
Christian/atheist/FSM youth who feel alienated commit suicide. Muslim youth become suicide bombers, either to kill some of the white devils that caused their problems, or in hope of the virgins and respect from the Muslim community.