The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Technology (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   My PC's Graphic Card is dying. (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=23310)

skysidhe 08-06-2010 09:20 AM

My PC's Graphic Card is dying.

My pc will grind when I turn it on. It's temperature will get up to 82c then, when I am lucky, like now it goes down to 51c. The CPU is high when it gets hot.

I ran a driver diagnostic application. My graphics card driver was out of date. I updated that but it did not help.

The diagnostic tool says my mass usb mass storage device is out of date and my pci express card. When I check these via the pc itself it says they are all working properly.

I previously adjusted my system to run some graphics for classes. In fact, the system is as it should be for those classes. After this weekend, when the class is finished, I plan to revert my system back to the way it was before.

The question I keep asking myself is, did this special adjustments and permissions I gave this class mess up my GPU ?or is my stock graphics card just getting old?

I know all ideas will just be speculation but I would like some company speculating.

I also have a little fan blowing on my hard drive case. I don't know if it actually helps or not.

(Edit- No the fan doesn't help. It is grinding away at 87C)

classicman 08-06-2010 10:12 AM

Is the fan blowing in the opposite direction as the cooling fan inside? that would be counterproductive.
<I have no clue>

Undertoad 08-06-2010 10:52 AM

If your CPU is overheating, it is not the graphics card doing it. This sounds like a bad fan on the CPU's heat sink.

skysidhe 08-06-2010 11:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks UT

I will keep that in mind.

I just had something odd happen and it's probably coincidental. A couple of months ago I added a free trial of Blast Internet by Comcast. It was no longer free so I canceled it, Just now! and my GPU is running at 57 it is quiet.
I hear nothing!!!! It isn't running hard, nor is there any grinding.

I just know the moment I post this the grinding will begin again, or I will feel it running hard.

Undertoad 08-06-2010 01:20 PM

Oh that IS the graphics card. You'll probably need a new one. You can replace it yourself, if this is not a laptop. We can help in that.

Pete Zicato 08-06-2010 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skysidhe (Post 674820)
My pc will grind when I turn it on.

Does it bump when it grinds? 'Cause that's a whole other problem. :D

Flint 08-06-2010 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Zicato (Post 674890)

Yeah, I have a troublesome stick of RAM that likes to get on down with its bad self.

Flint 08-06-2010 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Zicato (Post 674890)

Yeah, I have a troublesome stick of RAM that likes to get on down with its bad self. I'm always telling it "Don't make me re-seat you, mister!"

skysidhe 08-06-2010 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 674885)
Oh that IS the graphics card. You'll probably need a new one. You can replace it yourself, if this is not a laptop. We can help in that.

Alright, Thanks.

Hopefully total gpu failure will time it's self nicely with money. Maybe in a couple of weeks. I'll let you know.

oh and btw. This is a stock G Force 100. I won't need more than that.:)

skysidhe 08-16-2010 07:38 PM

This is very interesting.

Nvidia overcooks driver update

I refuse to allow any nvidia updates vis windows through since my reinstall.

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/...-driver-update

tw 08-16-2010 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skysidhe (Post 676920)
This is very interesting.
Nvidia overcooks driver update

That overcooking does not cause any hardware damage. Heat simply narrows the switching thresholds. Eventually gets a wrong software instruction to be executed. Heat only causes instability. Does not cause damage.

You can locate this problem quickly - long before it causes failure. Simply operate the computer in a 100 degree F (38 degree C) room. That is ideal perfect temperature for all computer hardware. And will quickly identify insufficient switching thresholds or defective hardware (that will probably fail years later). Heat (a 100 degree F room) is one of the best diagnostic tools available to every computer user.

skysidhe 08-16-2010 09:54 PM

I laughed. You have got to be pulling my leg.

......It's been that hot all week.

tw 08-17-2010 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skysidhe (Post 676937)
I laughed. You have got to be pulling my leg.
......It's been that hot all week.

Which is why summer is a great time to buy a computer. Run it in a 100 degree room. If it has a defect, the defect is identified before its warranty expires.

Same (but harsher) environment is performed routinely on flight hardware since failure is not an option. Such heat does not cause hardware failure. Heat identifies defects before a failure occurs later. Heat is a diagnostic tool. A perfect way to identify a defective Nvidia or defective Ram before its warranty expires.

Tick 08-19-2010 04:01 PM

Whoaa. Sky said that there was "grinding". That can't be caused by drivers, or chips, or whatever. It's mechanical. That points to either a fan or a hard drive. I'm betting fan. If it's choked with dust you will hear it beating against the mat of dust. Open it up and vacuum it out. (Or blow it out. I know one guy who uses a leaf blower.) Be sure to get any heat sinks too.

If it's a hard drive, back it up right now. It won't make noise for long before it dies.

JMO

skysidhe 08-24-2010 01:02 AM

Thanks Tick. Yes,too late. I've done the reinstall. Right now I am viewing in low resolution just hoping it stays running for a bit. Dusted the guts..all that.

Interesting note,When I went shopping for the right hardware I found out that the stock video card was installed needing 300 watts but the power supplies only 220. Perhaps the thing has been slowly frying for some time.

I am online but crippled.

This is an acer mini tower that cost $400. It's been a good computer for the last two years but I am wondering if I really want to spend half it's value or more fixing it. Probably not now. I am thinking of replacing it and shoving this in the closet.

I..just..don't..want..to..deal..with..it. I know that's either lazy or financially wise. * shrug *

:comp1: