The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Image of the Day (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   5/7/2005: Soldier comforts dying Iraqi girl (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=8285)

Undertoad 05-07-2005 12:05 PM

5/7/2005: Soldier comforts dying Iraqi girl

http://cellar.org/2005/LittleGirlinMosul.jpg

The entire first-person story

Quote:

Major Mark Bieger found this little girl after the car bomb that attacked our guys while kids were crowding around. The soldiers here have been angry and sad for two days. They are angry because the terrorists could just as easily have waited a block or two and attacked the patrol away from the kids. Instead, the suicide bomber drove his car and hit the Stryker when about twenty children were jumping up and down and waving at the soldiers. Major Bieger, I had seen him help rescue some of our guys a week earlier during another big attack, took some of our soldiers and rushed this little girl to our hospital. He wanted her to have American surgeons and not to go to the Iraqi hospital. She didn't make it. I snapped this picture when Major Bieger ran to take her away. He kept stopping to talk with her and hug her.

The soldiers went back to that neighborhood the next day to ask what they could do. The people were very warming and welcomed us into their homes, and many kids were actually running up to say hello and to ask soldiers to shake hands.

Eventually, some insurgents must have realized we were back and started shooting at us. The American soldiers and Iraqi police started engaging the enemy and there was a running gun battle. I saw at least one IP who was shot, but he looked okay and actually smiled at me despite the big bullet hole in his leg. I smiled back.

One thing seems certain; the people in that neighborhood share our feelings about the terrorists. We are going to go back there, and if any terrorists come out, the soldiers hope to find them. Everybody is still very angry that the insurgents attacked us when the kids were around. Their day will come.

wah 05-07-2005 01:14 PM

Wow.

I hadn't seen the larger version of this.

Wow.

wolf 05-07-2005 01:50 PM

This is indeed a striking picture. I saw a much smaller version of it this morning and my first thought was that it would make a good IOTD. Seems that I was right, but not fast enough on the draw to get it to you ...

Speaking of which, I've sent along a couple, but don't know if they ever made it to you. What's the best address to send IOTD candidates to?

xoxoxoBruce 05-07-2005 01:53 PM

God Damn It God Damn It God Damn It God Damn It God Damn It God Damn It. :mecry:

Undertoad 05-07-2005 01:55 PM

probably undertoad hat cellar dot org these days.

I really want to build a submission thingie some day, but you know.

Trilby 05-07-2005 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
God Damn It God Damn It God Damn It God Damn It God Damn It God Damn It. :mecry:

My sentiments, exactly. This pic also reminds me of the Oklahoma firefighter holding that baby girl who died in the Ok. City bombing. Evokes the same feelings, too. :(

wolf 05-07-2005 03:23 PM

I think part of what makes this an effective picture is that because we don't see any easily identifiable part of the child, it makes her all the children.

I remember Bayley Lee Almon too, and did think of her when I saw this picture, her and numerous other innocent victims.

capnhowdy 05-08-2005 07:11 AM

:rar:
My biggest problem with these cowardly car bombers: They do their twisted deed and kill themselves instead of giving us the pleasure of retribution. If only we could capture them live..........then we could take them to Paris Island, S.C. and turn them loose for graduating Marines to hunt down like the goddam sickass dogs they are. It would be great practice for the recruits and at least some justice (however minute) could be served. That would transform their completely worthless carcasses into almost completely worthless carcasses.
How fuckin selfish of those bastards. :flamer:

Undertoad 05-08-2005 01:02 PM

The girl's name was Farah.

Troubleshooter 05-08-2005 02:10 PM

A friend and I were waiting for Sahara to start at the theater and we were discussing whether we belonged in other countries doing what we're, ostensibly, doing. In most cases, no, we don't belong there, but there are times, and I'm not a person of extravagant sentimentality, when it's time for some people, and possibly a whole people, to try the next turn of the wheel.

Rwanda, Sudan, Zimbabwe, Kosovo, Iraq, any people where there is such a disconnect from humanity that it allows such actions just... need... to... go... away...

Leah 05-08-2005 07:23 PM

What a sad photo, I feel very sorry for that soldier having to see all these horrible killings. Get those bastards.

Catwoman 05-09-2005 08:41 AM

Children die in legal wars, too.

Beestie 05-09-2005 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catwoman
Children die in legal wars, too.

True, but not usually by the hand of their own countrymen. Of course, Saddam's regime was known to torture toddlers to make their parent's talk.

Catwoman 05-09-2005 09:41 AM

I was more pointing to the iniquity of people who kill children than pointing fingers.

magilla 05-09-2005 11:48 AM

Damn all wars

There have been some pretty amazing, disturbing, humorous, and emotional photos here. I have looked at every single IotD in the archive.

None of them made me weep- until now.