The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Image of the Day (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   5/17/2005: Performance contact lenses (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=8369)

Undertoad 05-17-2005 11:27 AM

5/17/2005: Performance contact lenses

http://cellar.org/2005/performancecontacts.jpg

These contact lenses are specficially designed for baseball. "designed to help hitters pick up the seams on the ball better and to protect the eyes from the sun."

And to look bad-ass, I suppose?

full story

wolf 05-17-2005 11:31 AM

I had been wanting to get some of those Wild Eyes contacts, but now that my astigmatism is bad enough to require toric lenses, I won't be able to do that. :(

I need someone to develop extended wear torics. Now.

I knew no greater joy than my "put 'em in for a month and keep 'em damp" lenses.

When you have 20/600 vision seeing the alarm clock in the morning is quite a rush.

elSicomoro 05-17-2005 11:59 AM

I thought about getting contacts yesterday (got an eye exam), but IMO, they're still too much of a pain in the ass. My new glasses arrive tomorrow.

glatt 05-17-2005 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolf
I knew no greater joy than my "put 'em in for a month and keep 'em damp" lenses.

Was that 15-20 years ago? I didn't know there were still doctors who allowed patients to wear extended wear lenses for a month.

chrisinhouston 05-17-2005 01:02 PM

It's interesting that they help baseball players see the ball better. NPR had a report the other day about pro golfers who are having elective eye surgery to increase their vision to see down the green, etc. Something akin to giving their eyes a binocular like magnification effect. Apparently it is a grey area as far as the legality of it in pro golf.

Things were a lot better when everything was amatuer as far as I am concerned.

dar512 05-17-2005 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad
And to look bad-ass, I suppose?

Looks like a poster for the next Exorcist.

wolf 05-17-2005 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt
Was that 15-20 years ago? I didn't know there were still doctors who allowed patients to wear extended wear lenses for a month.

This was last year. They now have lenses formulated to allow much better O2 transfer.

The length of wear depends on the type of lens. My first extended wears were 14 day disposables/7 day extended wear. When I admitted that I accidentally left them in realized I hadn't gone blind the next morning when I woke up, the doc proclaimed me ready for the one month variety. Man, they were sweet. (The doc keeps very on top of the whole "corneal health" thing, and says I'm excellent.)

wolf 05-17-2005 02:09 PM

I can see the enhanced for baseball lenses being as much of a hindrance as a help ... lighting is so variable on a ballfield, light and shade can switch places in seconds ... you can take off sunglasses, but once the lenses are in, they're in ... yeah, yeah, you can rip them out at a moment's notice, but what if you actually need them for vision correction?

footfootfoot 05-20-2005 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolf
snip

When you have 20/600 vision seeing the alarm clock in the morning is quite a rush.

HAhaha!

When I was younger all my girlfriends seemed to have bad eyesight (or I had a thing for girls in glasses) and they'd ask, first thing in the am, "what time is it?".

It became something that I accepted as part of everyday reality.

One morning, the first time this new girlfriend had slept over she woke up and said "Oh my god, it's nine o'clock!"

Surprised, I looked at her and asked, "how did you know what time it was?"

She gave me this concerned, am I dating a moron?, look and she said "I looked at the clock. "

:lol:

dar512 05-20-2005 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by footfootfoot
When I was younger all my girlfriends seemed to have bad eyesight (or I had a thing for girls in glasses) and they'd ask, first thing in the am, "what time is it?".

A girl who is bespectacled
She may not get her necktacled;
But safety pins and bassinets
Await the girl who fassinets.

--Ogden Nash

Sounds like the lines have blurred. (so to speak)

footfootfoot 05-20-2005 10:12 PM

YES,
and if called by a panther?

Don't anther!