The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Image of the Day (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Oct 31, 2011: Stones with Faces (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=26194)

ZenGum 11-12-2011 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandypossum (Post 772174)

I came home and went over to the stones to have another look at them, to see if I could pick out the various families, and... they were all lying face down. Now THAT is weird.

:eyebrow: :eek:

footfootfoot 11-12-2011 05:06 PM

Sounds like a case of pranksterish mates.

sandypossum 11-12-2011 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 772200)
What she neglected to mention, of course, is how her 14-year-old daugher tragically drowned in the bathtub!

And afterwards, the little stone families kept moving when no one was looking, and at night you could hear them sliding around on the ground, and a little girl's voice faintly laughing and playing with them, until they got so afraid that they buried the bathtub and all of the stones together in the ground to get away from them.

But they buried all three buckets of the stones with the bathtub, of course. There's no explanation for how so many of the stones got out into your garden, and under your house, and...

Now that truly does click with the whole feeling about them for me!

I forgot to tell you all that I also mentioned to the lady that I had posted it on an internet forum and that it had sparked a lively discussion about possible meanings. To my alarm, she said "oh I'd love to see that! Can you send me the link." Link? Not "can you show it to me" or "is there any way I could see that?" Oh dear. I realised that I had said things she might find appalling (eg about why she had to sell up) even if none of you know her. Not to mention the comments about dead babies.

So I sent her a link to the photo on my Flickr page and pasted in all the safe comments from all of you under it, and said alas she can't see the page as it is for members only. Now I can only hope she doesn't think to do a search for the website and find the IotD page.

And if she does... I'M SORRY! It wasn't meant to hurt or offend!

sandypossum 11-12-2011 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandypossum (Post 772174)
I came home and went over to the stones to have another look at them, to see if I could pick out the various families, and... they were all lying face down. Now THAT is weird.

Okay, I confess I made that bit up.

ZenGum 11-12-2011 06:45 PM

Oh god. Now you've really done it.

Seriously, I can imagine the stones being used for drainage in the bathtub, and likewise if the bucket had been used as a planter.

Back to the fun .. there's still enough ambiguity about why these stones were painted and buried for us to play with. Clod, that is creepy. I can hear the tinkling music-box.

sandypossum 11-13-2011 03:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZenGum (Post 772377)
I can imagine the stones being used for drainage in the bathtub, and likewise if the bucket had been used as a planter.

Nuh-uh. The stones were distributed evenly throughout the entire bathtub, not just on the bottom. And the bucket was a thin plastic, and was full. No way was it a planter.

Quote:

and a little girl's voice faintly laughing
Sometimes we do hear what seems to be someone saying something, but it's a man's voice. We have no neighbours within hearing distance, so it used to creep us out a bit. Then we discovere one of our two young steers (about 4 months old) was making the sounds, as if he was mimicking one of us. ("Hey, Porterhouse, this is what the man sounds like: moo MOO moo moo moo moo!")

Then we moved the steers to another paddock, and that paddock now has sheep in it. We heard it again. This time it turns out one of the sheep had started doing it. Either our animals have talents or a weird sense of humour.

BTW, we have some WWOOFers staying with us at the moment. Last night one of them, from the Netherlands, said she was once sent a stone with a face carved on one side, together with a sort of chain letter telling her she had to mail it on for good luck, otherwise bad luck blablabla. She didn't bother and kept the stone. So maybe...?

limey 11-13-2011 05:23 AM

OMG you have a steer with a friend called Porterhouse :lol:

sandypossum 11-13-2011 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by limey (Post 772416)
OMG you have a steer with a friend called Porterhouse :lol:

We have two steers, Mr T-Bone and Mr Porterhouse. The last three were Stewie, Rumpy and Wellington. They say you shouldn't give names to animals you plan to eat, but we like all our animals to have names (makes it easier to know which one you're talking about) so we keep the names realistic.;)

limey 11-13-2011 06:07 AM

Brilliant!

infinite monkey 11-13-2011 10:26 AM

I, too, think there is way more to the story. Keep us posted. If you can. Muahuauahaaaa!

Oh, and my nieces had a couple cows a few years ago (cows meaning the entire cow genre, I don't know from cow/reproductive abilities names) and named them Chip and Lightbulb. But they ate 'em up yum. ;)

burns334 11-13-2011 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HungLikeJesus (Post 771850)
SP - this must be important; burns334 has only posted 11 times in seven years, and four of those have been in this thread.

I'll have to post more for sure, I visit the site almost everyday and never realized that I hadn't said more, I'm really not quite. Maybe I can find the seashells my little girl painted.

Clodfobble 11-13-2011 01:26 PM

You definitely should, burns!

sandypossum 11-13-2011 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infinite monkey (Post 772442)
But they ate 'em up yum. ;)

Fish heads, fish heads, roly poly fish heads!:D

Flint 11-14-2011 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigV (Post 771341)
I hated the original ...

Dude, great movie. Funny how tastes vary.

Aliantha 11-14-2011 05:41 PM

sandy, was that bathtub the one you were planking on earlier in the year???