The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Image of the Day (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   2/16/2006: Migrating starlings at sunset (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=10102)

Undertoad 02-16-2006 04:08 PM

2/16/2006: Migrating starlings at sunset

http://cellar.org/2006/starlings.jpg

This WaPo image is a group of starlings, arriving in Algiers. The caption points out that millions of birds migrate from Europe to Africa, and so I wonder whether any of the birds in that shot were also in this one which was taken in Italy.

Beautiful image, and one that really stretches the limits of JPG image compression. This one is about 116k in size. The millions of dots against the colors in the sky are hard for JPG to reproduce correctly. If you have a digital camera that can take images in a "RAW" or "TIFF" mode, this is one time when you might want to use it to get the best possible shot... if you're ever shooting thousands of migrating starlings against a sunset.

Ubergeek 02-16-2006 04:12 PM

This truly is a beautiful image... amazing shot.

But....... having said that, am I the only one sick enough to look at this and think it bears an amazing resemblance to a couple of giant sperm swiming through the sky?

Hey... at least I admit I'm sick... what's YOUR excuse? ;-)

Elspode 02-16-2006 04:36 PM

I saw a very, very scaled-down version of this on the way home last night...only a couple of thousand as opposed to a few hundred thousand. It did, however, cause me to spontaneously work up a verbal outline (to the wife, who was driving) of a Neo-Con children's story about Stevie Starling, a rebellious little Starling who refused to fly with the flock, and froze to death all alone in the winter.

The real heroine of the story is Sally Starling, who went along with the gazillions of other birdies, and earned the respect of her peers by supporting traditional bird family values because she raised her young to follow the flock, and so on, and so on...

xoxoxoBruce 02-16-2006 05:51 PM

I don't know which of the two posts is sicker. :lol:

AureliusVin 02-16-2006 07:58 PM

It makes me feel good that there still are that many starlings on the planet. In San Fran they have taken similar pics, except the starlings are smog:dead:

daveyhavokheart 02-16-2006 11:31 PM

Ooh it's so pretty. I don't generally like birds, but I love this image. By the way, this is my first post. I've viewed every single IotD, but this is the first I've replied to.

Happy Monkey 02-17-2006 12:24 AM

Welcome, but that's really not a good color. Try something darker.

Pie 02-17-2006 08:09 AM

Which one of those is carrying H5N1? :worried:

Elspode 02-17-2006 08:40 AM

I don't know, but they could carry it on a bit of string, tucked beneath the dorsal guiding feather...

dar512 02-17-2006 10:20 AM

Would those be African or European....

Never mind. I was thinking swallows.

barefoot serpent 02-17-2006 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dar512
I was thinking swallows.

*cough*
:blush:

wolf 02-18-2006 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Monkey
Welcome, but that's really not a good color. Try something darker.

Like default black. That's one of our personal favorites.

We are NOT a colored post board. Yes, we discriminate based on color. We already have one token color poster, and she seems to have gotten over it.

The lack of avatars and long, complicated, animated picture bearing signatures should have been your first clue.

If you understand and accept this, welcome.

If not, don't let the virtual door hit on your ass on the way out.

dar512 02-18-2006 07:49 AM

'Cause we're all about the words, baby.

Undertoad 02-18-2006 08:06 AM

I was thinking about the avatar question before the bandwidth problems, but you know this place does use a ton of bandwidth, it turns out, and every little bit will help, I think.

An single avatar - ONE of them - can use as much bandwidth as the words in an entire page.

Elspode 02-18-2006 08:17 AM

The photo content alone would give most sysops a headache.