The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   The Internet (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Google Chrome excellence noticed (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=22162)

Undertoad 02-25-2010 10:23 AM

Google Chrome excellence noticed

I was writing a long post just now...

when suddenly a Flash application in a different tab became unresponsive, and took down pretty much all of Chrome.

Aw shit, I thought, I don't want to rewrite that post!

I made a screen capture of the 2/3rds of it that was still on my screen, and ended Chrome. Windows 7 did a nice job of noticing that the application was hung, and helpfully gave me a dialog box to end the program.

I decided that, with a pending Windows Update due, I should just reboot the entire system. When it came back I restarted Chrome. Chrome noticed that it had crashed, and asked whether I wanted all the tabs back. Nothing new there, Firefox will do that for you.

OK, I thought, might as well. But when the Cellar tab reappeared, my whole post was there with it. How awesome! How unexpectedly delightful! Great work, Google: if they want the tabs restored, chances are 99.9% they want the form data restored too.

I have switched to using Chrome as my primary browser.

Gravdigr 02-27-2010 04:57 PM

One more item making me lean toward trying Chrome. UT, have you noticed anything else that makes Chrome standout from Firefox?

Undertoad 02-27-2010 05:01 PM

Yes, the overall speed of it is remarkable.

Tulip 02-28-2010 04:35 PM

Hmm.....Chrome is good, huh....hmmmm....

squirell nutkin 03-01-2010 07:23 PM

Thought I'd try chrome again. It asked me if I wanted it to be my default browser. Sure, why not?

It didn't say it would erase firefox from my hard drive in the process and remove every trace of it.

I admit to being less than thrilled with that jack-booting approach.

jinx 03-01-2010 07:28 PM

That's not very nice.... although I wish firefox did that to IE...

The girl uses chrome. I fear change.

lumberjim 03-01-2010 07:29 PM

i thought it ran off of firefox?

squirell nutkin 03-01-2010 07:43 PM

Like a borg or something? Maybe it just assimilated FF?

Undertoad 03-01-2010 08:55 PM

It didn't do that, footer. It can't do that.

squirell nutkin 03-01-2010 10:27 PM

Why are my FF icons gone and replaced with Chrome icons? Desktop, Start Menu, Program Files. All gone.

Undertoad 03-01-2010 10:36 PM

It didn't delete anything. It just changed your file associations. If you run Firefox, it will ask you whether you want Firefox to be your default browser, and if you agree to that, everything will switch back.

Cicero 03-01-2010 11:05 PM

I just started getting used to google chrome. I like the news about the post as that has been a frustration for many years!

I tested firefox and it was quicker by a second. But that could have been for any variety of reasons. I think I'll test again! :)

On a second test chrome won....

squirell nutkin 03-02-2010 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 638559)
It didn't delete anything. It just changed your file associations. If you run Firefox, it will ask you whether you want Firefox to be your default browser, and if you agree to that, everything will switch back.

Like I said, I can't run firefox because it isn't here anymore. It is not under program files, it doesn't show up when I search all my drives for it, and when I down loaded it again it didn't say "dude, FF is already installed."

It doesn't matter, I've been assimilated. It kept all my bookmarks, but it doesn't have a slider so I have to scroll down a lot of book marks. Probably time to clean house...

Undertoad 03-02-2010 08:58 AM

I'm tellin ya, that's just crazy talk. If Chrome deleted anything on people's systems, there would be screams of holy hellfire and it would be treated as a trojan horse. Maybe you found some bogus installation that somebody other than Google is handing out?

squirell nutkin 03-02-2010 09:43 AM

I don't know. After all, I'm just a squirell.