The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Image of the Day (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   5/10/2005: Dinosaur tracks (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=8303)

Undertoad 05-10-2005 02:47 PM

5/10/2005: Dinosaur tracks

http://cellar.org/2005/dinotracks.jpg

A recent earth sci pic of the day, sent along by xoB, these are dinosaur tracks. The EPOD caption:

The photo above showing dinosaur footprints on a limestone slab was taken in the Fumanya Coal Mine, near the city of Berga (Catalogna) in northern Spain. This large surface layer of Maestrichtian (upper Cretaceous) lacustrine limestone was exposed during mining activity. Fumanya Mine is located in the southern Pyrenees Mountains. The numerous alignments of rounded traces which can be observed here are tracks of dinosaur footprints. Given the size and the general shape of their footprints, these animals were probably sauropods -- large plant eating dinosaurs. Note also the superb network of small- scale offset faults that crosscut the structural surface.

glatt 05-10-2005 03:15 PM

I've got no sense of the scale of this thing from the picture. Those look like a house cat's tracks to me.

jaguar 05-10-2005 03:16 PM

now remember everybody, these were put here by THE ALMIGHTY LORD to test our faith.

glatt - picture is taken from above, probably a shopper, the area shot is about 20m wide.

glatt 05-10-2005 03:43 PM

I'm an idiot. I didn't see the scale in the corner.

mrnoodle 05-10-2005 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaguar
now remember everybody, these were put here by THE ALMIGHTY LORD to test our faith.

Erm, I'm pretty sure they were put there by big lizards. Your newfound acceptance of the concept of God is heartening, though. Rough around the edges, but it's a start.

sandra77 05-10-2005 05:18 PM

What a great picture!! Of course, dinosaurs are one of my favorite things. :love: I would love to see this in real life.

Sandra

xoxoxoBruce 05-10-2005 09:05 PM

Spain awaits, Madam. :biggrinba

Troubleshooter 05-11-2005 08:13 AM

All we need now is for one of the dragon prints to have a human footprint in it and we'll be done.

wolf 05-11-2005 10:34 AM

There was a "creation archeologist" who was caught chiseling toe prints into some dinosaur tracks to make them look more like human footprints back in the 80s.

Troubleshooter 05-11-2005 11:26 AM

Any way to point me in a direction to cite that? I'd heard about the footprint in a footprint thing, but I never really looked into it.

lookout123 05-11-2005 11:37 AM

i'm sure it is true, there are idiots abundant in every religion and philosophy. and that guy deserved to catch a chisel between the eyes.

but seriously, don't you get tired of dogging people who hold faith in a higher power than themselves? it goes in spurts around here. nothing for awhile, and then several threads will careen off into christian bashing. quite often people who call themselves christians deserve to be slapped around for being stupid - but i don't see how that justifies ridicule of those that choose to follow Christ's teachings.

i'm not very good analogies but here goes: TW is an engineer who has liberal leanings. I disagree with TW on damn near everything. Should I then feel justified in ridiculing all liberal, or all engineers as stupid arrogant jackasses who...? or can i just realize that TW is one person who makes his own choices and it would be unfair to judge all by the actions of one?

edit: reread my post and thought i should clarify. TW - i do not think you are stupid. arrogant, sure. jackass, maybe. it was just an awkward analogy. ;)

Happy Monkey 05-11-2005 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lookout123
but seriously, don't you get tired of dogging people who hold faith in a higher power than themselves? it goes in spurts around here. nothing for awhile, and then several threads will careen off into christian bashing. quite often people who call themselves christians deserve to be slapped around for being stupid - but i don't see how that justifies ridicule of those that choose to follow Christ's teachings.

"People who try to put young-Earth creationism into public schools" doesn't have much to do with "people who hold faith in a higher power than themselves". Personally, I only have an issue with people who try to enforce something they call christianity on everyone else. If gays were running around trying to force everyone to marry someone of the same sex, I'd have the same problem with them. Or if the wiccans were trying to put Goddess stories into history books. Or if Jews were trying to ban non-kosher foods.

mlandman 05-11-2005 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Monkey
"People who try to put young-Earth creationism into public schools" doesn't have much to do with "people who hold faith in a higher power than themselves". Personally, I only have an issue with people who try to enforce something they call christianity on everyone else. If gays were running around trying to force everyone to marry someone of the same sex, I'd have the same problem with them. Or if the wiccans were trying to put Goddess stories into history books. Or if Jews were trying to ban non-kosher foods.

This one time, at wiccan camp...

OnyxCougar 05-11-2005 12:59 PM

As a literal creationist, I don't think Creationist views should be in public school at all.

Nor should Evolution as origin of man.

At the school-age level, no origin of man need be discussed at all.

It is not up to our schools to indoctrinate our children in ANY religion, humanist or otherwise.

And the tracks you refer to that were faked are the paluxy tracks.

mlandman 05-11-2005 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnyxCougar
It is not up to our schools to indoctrinate our children in ANY religion, humanist or otherwise.

Evolution isn't religion, humanist or otherwise. Nor is the presence of dinosaurs.

-mike