The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Home Base (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Continuing Human Evolution? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=15019)

Bullitt 08-08-2007 11:25 AM

Continuing Human Evolution?

Inspiration from Rk's thread.

Given the idea that evolution is a continuous process, life is always changing, adapting, evolving. Do you think that we as humans are on the top of the evolutionary heap here on Earth, and only improving more as time goes on? Is it possible for our immune systems to reach there point one day where they actually keep our bodies completely immune? Will our mental abilities improve as we tackle more and more complex happenings in science? Will we ever stop building things like the killer baby carriage?Tell me what you think, just out of curiosity (and as an excuse to get away from my theology research paper due tomorrow night at midnight)

freshnesschronic 08-08-2007 11:30 AM

Completely immune? No. We don't even know of every compound or disease or some unknown exists.

Personally I feel we are adapting based on the technology we introduce to the world. In 200 years our life span and medicine and daily lives have improved drastically, with positive technology (cure for cancer?) outweighing negative technology (fossil fuels) the future looks reasonably prosperous for the human race.

glatt 08-08-2007 12:13 PM

Yes we are continuing to evolve. It never stops.

But it's not happening fast enough in all areas. For example, our technology allows us to have very rich diets, but our bodies are still genetically tuned to be efficient at extracting maximum calories from our food. In Western nations at least, we are too fat as a result.

Since individual humans tend to reproduce before the health consequences of being fat get around to killing them off, this is a problem that evolution is probably not going to fix very quickly.

Clodfobble 08-08-2007 12:25 PM

In theory healthier people are still more attractive, though, so at least in theory they'd have a statistically smaller chance to reproduce.

Rexmons 08-08-2007 12:33 PM

and along came this.

barefoot serpent 08-08-2007 12:41 PM

We'll continue to evolve until an asteroid/comet resets the evolutionary clock and Homo sapiens becomes part of the fossil record.

Rexmons 08-08-2007 12:44 PM

barefoot thats crazy, once my global defense energy shield goes up, asteroids will no longer be a concern. :footpyth:

rkzenrage 08-08-2007 02:39 PM

We are in NO way at the top of the evolutionary "ladder", which is a tree.
The World ecosystem would shrug us and all vertebrates off without a second thought, no change, but invertebrates go, just insects and arachnids/oids even, and the entire system crashes... just bacteria after about a hundred years (I'm being generous there, we will go in much less time).
If it continues to breed, it evolves. We are just mammals like any other, just another great ape.... too full of ourselves.

xoxoxoBruce 08-08-2007 03:25 PM

But, but, but... Gannet495 will still be here.:headshake

rkzenrage 08-08-2007 03:28 PM

Bacteria?

barefoot serpent 08-09-2007 01:18 PM

But wait 'til cats develop opposable thumbs; then we've had it.

bluecuracao 08-09-2007 02:03 PM

Then they'd be able to scoop their own litter--I can't wait.