The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Cellar Meta (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Do you hear voices when you read posts? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=20063)

Undertoad 04-14-2009 06:03 PM

Do you hear voices when you read posts?

Not the voices in your head from the schizophrenia, I mean... like... many of us have enjoyed Sundae Girl's videos, so do you read her posts in her voice, as if she was speaking?

And then -- for most posters, who don't do videos -- do you ever make up a voice to go along with their posts?

For me, it only happens occasionally -- like if SG posts something British, it may remind me to read the rest of the post in her voice. People I've spent time with in person I can automatically switch to their voice, especially if it's a distinctive voice.

If I make up a voice for someone, and then meet them or see their video, the voice is never anywhere near close.

Clodfobble 04-14-2009 06:36 PM

I do, but I'm pretty aurally-inclined. But only once I "get to know" a dwellar, newbies don't have voices.

Trilby 04-14-2009 07:44 PM

everyone here has a voice to me. sometimes it goes "blahblahblahblah", like tw's or something.

lumberjim 04-14-2009 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 556392)
I'm pretty aurally-inclined

I like the sound of that

theotherguy 04-14-2009 08:04 PM

everyone has the same voice in my head and they sound a lot like Barney Fife.

Beestie 04-14-2009 08:41 PM

Speaking of voices, I took my wife to hear Fran Drescher speak today.

Nobody in the Cellar sounds like Fran Drescher.

NoBoxes 04-14-2009 11:40 PM

My imagination has everyone, whose voice I haven't already heard, speaking with a German accent except for Crimson Ghost ... he sounds French.

Juniper 04-14-2009 11:56 PM

I've been told I sound like Sally Field or Sandy Duncan. There's an aural image for you. ;)

DanaC 04-15-2009 04:54 AM

I hear voices when i read. Sometimes it's just my own voice. Sometimes it's a generic male or female voice, other times it'[s something very specific. Bruce and UT sound quite similar in my head. Monnie sounds like a manc in my head (but not a strong manc accent, just a hint), Sundae sounds like Sundae. That's an easy one.

Ali has an aussie accent. Like UT, I get occasional reminders of the acent in a post and from then on it's an aussie accent. Likewise Ducks and Zen.

BigV I imagine speaks slowly and with much thought. I hear a voice very similar to an old American friend of J's dad.

bri...I have an amalgam of various american actresses in my head for Bri. The kind that play cookie roles, like the chick nathan married in six feet under, or like something out of Thelma and Louise.

I have voices for Jim and Jinx but not sure how to describe them. I guess, Jim is like a faster version in my head of toad and bruce. jinx reminds me an awful lot of a chick I used to know in Bolton. I have to keep reminding myself not to give her a bolton accent. So...she's kind of like my mate but with an American accent instead of a Bolton one. Similar intonations and cadences. I imagine similar facial expressions.

There are more. I'll post them as I remember them, or as I figure a way to explain them.

Aliantha 04-15-2009 05:28 AM

I sort of hear voices for the regulars, but not all. They're probably all wrong except for SG whom I've heard on the phone, so that probably doesn't count for the purposes of this thread. I've heard UT on youtube, so I know what he sounds like, and quite a few others on their 'show me your house' clips.

It's very good to get the sound to go with the posts sometimes. Makes the poster seem more real. It becomes more intimate.

limey 04-15-2009 05:33 AM

No.

Griff 04-15-2009 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 556380)
For me, it only happens occasionally -- like if SG posts something British, it may remind me to read the rest of the post in her voice.

That seems to be my experience.

I think my voice is kinda Floyd Landis if you haven't done the house tour.

glatt 04-15-2009 07:44 AM

For me, it only happens occasionally.

LabRat 04-15-2009 08:24 AM

Only for a few dwellars I have gotten to know more than others and even then, only occasionally.

I have awful trouble keeping dwellars apart.

For the longest time I kept confusing glatt and Griff...both started with "g" and ended in double letters. Finally, once both had posted pics, I remembered which was which by remembering that the one with the small g was the tall guy in DC, and the Big G was the goat herding bike rider :D. right? tt= ttall ff=ffarmer

sweetwater 04-15-2009 08:38 AM

I don't hear voices - it's more like tone or inflection. The sound is generic, the personality is not, but either way it is only for dwellers with whom I am more familiar.