The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Current Events (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Talking "furrin lengwidge" is now illegal in Kansas? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=9689)

Tonchi 12-10-2005 03:34 AM

Talking "furrin lengwidge" is now illegal in Kansas?

I'm wondering why nobody has jumped on the story that a Latino kid was suspended from school in Kansas today, for the high crime of speaking Spanish outside class to one of his friends? I'm looking for a thread to that story now.

Looks like after Kansas schools get rid of all those godless science teachers who refuse to see the truth of Creationism they want to wipe out anybody who won't accept the English language as their savior as well :eyebrow:

Perry Winkle 12-10-2005 04:16 AM

http://www.kansascitykansan.com/arti...ocal/news4.txt

another interesting kansas story:
http://www.cnn.com/2005/EDUCATION/12....ap/index.html
Kansas Anti-Creationist Professor (forced?) to Resign

Beestie 12-10-2005 04:27 AM

This is just flat-out unbelievable.

What in the flying hell is wrong with those people?!

Griff 12-10-2005 07:53 AM

"I was trying to be nice to her. I asked her why she did not want me to speak Spanish and she got mad. She said 'I don't want to hear it in my building.' "

If we get too many more control freak principal stories we'll have to start a thread to track them.

xoxoxoBruce 12-10-2005 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beestie
This is just flat-out unbelievable.

What in the flying hell is wrong with those people?!

One person.....petty tyrant. "Those people" will show their stripes when we find out how the tyrant is dealt with. :eyebrow:

From Grant's second link;
Quote:

On Monday, Mirecki was treated at a Lawrence hospital for head injuries after he said he was beaten by two men on a country road. He said the men referred to the creationism course. Law enforcement officials were investigating.
:rar:

wolf 12-10-2005 08:25 AM

They'll send her to sensitivity training, give her a new position and move her to the "central office", and increase her salary by 15%.

wolf 12-10-2005 08:28 AM

The principal handled things poorly, but ... the young man "spoke spanish to his friends to help them" but by doing so he's reducing their chances to become proficient in english ... and recieve proper correction from someone who is proficient in both languages.

"It's just natural for me to speak to them in Spanish," Zach said. "Some of them don't speak English that well, and it is easier for them. "

Troubleshooter 12-10-2005 08:35 AM

All we need to do now is to get the nonsense the fundamentalist speak declared a foreign language and we'll be fine.

richlevy 12-10-2005 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolf
The principal handled things poorly, but ... the young man "spoke spanish to his friends to help them" but by doing so he's reducing their chances to become proficient in english ... and recieve proper correction from someone who is proficient in both languages.

"It's just natural for me to speak to them in Spanish," Zach said. "Some of them don't speak English that well, and it is easier for them. "

I think it is more the paranoia of having students know a 'secret' language that the listener is too lazy to learn.

I'm not saying that instruction should not be in English, I'm just saying that public schools are not intended as 'total immersion' situations. In the classroom the teacher may have a right to restrict speech. But in the hallways and the lunchroom?

It reminds me of this guy.

Quote:

To teach Indian school children in their native tongue is practically to exclude English, and to prevent them from acquiring it. This language, which is good enough for a white man and a black man, ought to be good enough for the red man. It is also believed that teaching an Indian youth in his own barbarous dialect is a positive detriment to him. The first step to be taken toward civilization, toward teaching the Indians the mischief and folly of continuing in their barbarous practices, is to teach them the English language. The impracticability, if not impossibility, of civilizing the Indians of this country in any other tongue than our own would seem to be obvious, especially in view of the fact that the number of Indian vernaculars is even greater than the number of tribes. ...

But it has been suggested that this order, being mandatory, gives a cruel blow to the sacred rights of the Indians. Is it cruelty to the Indian to force him to give up his scalping-knife and tomahawk? Is it cruelty to force him to abandon the vicious and barbarous sun dance, where he lacerates his flesh, and dances and tortures himself even unto death? Is it cruelty to the Indian to force him to have his daughters educated and married under the laws of the land, instead of selling them at a tender age for a stipulated price into concubinage to gratify the brutal lusts of ignorance and barbarism?

marichiko 12-10-2005 11:17 AM

Everytime I make a call to a business that's any larger than Mom and Pop and cousin Joe, I am treated to an automated recording which advises me to press 1 for English or 2 for Spanish. Colorado has got to be one of the most backward states in the union, but even it seems to recognize that there is a significant percentage of the population out there that is most comfortable transacting business in Spanish.

Certainly, it is very important for children whose native tongue is Spanish to become proficient in English, as well, if they wish to get far in the US as adults. However, disciplining a student for speaking Spanish outside the classrooms reminds me of the stories of Native American children who were taken away to boarding schools and punished for speaking in their own tongue. This country lost a major portion of its native heritage with the loss of those languages. One thing I love about being in the 4 corners area is the chance to hear the Navajo language on the airwaves, and look at the great contribution the Navajo code talkers made in WWII. That principle should be exiled to South America.

Elspode 12-10-2005 02:58 PM

I've been following it, but I didn't bring it up because, frankly, it is embarassing. I work right down the street from that school district. I've been in their headquarters building.

richlevy 12-10-2005 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elspode
I've been in their headquarters building.

Great. In addition to all of this crap they have lousy security.http://www.cellar.org/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Mari, I agree about the boarding schools. However, while doing my mandatory fact check for my last post I discovered that the U.S. goverment mandated the prohibition of native language, and not the schools themselves.

marichiko 12-10-2005 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richlevy

Mari, I agree about the boarding schools. However, while doing my mandatory fact check for my last post I discovered that the U.S. goverment mandated the prohibition of native language, and not the schools themselves.

Oh, well, if the GOVERNMENT mandated it, I guess that was OK. Didn't the Souix have WMD's? I'm sure Paraguay does. :worried:

Urbane Guerrilla 12-15-2005 11:16 AM

Some people ought to resign out of sheer shame. I speak three languages besides English, and Spanish is one -- I don't count once being just about able to order lunch in Turkish as exactly speaking it.

tw 12-15-2005 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tonchi
Looks like after Kansas schools get rid of all those godless science teachers who refuse to see the truth of Creationism they want to wipe out anybody who won't accept the English language as their savior as well

A school teacher in (I think it was) upper NY State found herself under attack from right wing religious extremists (more intolerants) because her students were signing a song using the expression "Happy Holidays". The extremists accused her of changing the words from "Happy Christmas". How satanic! Using the term "Happy Holidays" is not acceptable when right wing religious extremists have decided they must save us from ourselves.

Fortunately for that teacher, the song was originally written using "Happy Holidays". Otherwise we would have had another Spanish Inquisition. As we all know, nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition. Happy Holidays to ya all – because I remember why people fled Europe to settle here.

Happy Monkey 12-16-2005 07:34 AM

Happy Holidays
Quote:

Originally Posted by Congressman John D. Dingell

‘Twas the week before Christmas and all through the House

No bills were passed ‘bout which Fox News could grouse;

Tax cuts for the wealthy were passed with great cheer,

So vacations in St. Barts soon would be near;

Katrina kids were nestled all snug in motel beds,

While visions of school and home danced in their heads;

In Iraq our soldiers needed supplies and a plan,

Plus nuclear weapons were being built in Iran;

Gas prices shot up, consumer confidence fell;

Americans feared we were on a fast track to…well…

Wait--- we need a distraction--- something divisive and wily;

A fabrication straight from the mouth of O’Reilly

We can pretend that Christmas is under attack

Hold a vote to save it--- then pat ourselves on the back;

Silent Night, First Noel, Away in the Manger

Wake up Congress, they’re in no danger!

This time of year we see Christmas every where we go,

From churches, to homes, to schools, and yes…even Costco;

What we have is an attempt to divide and destroy,

When this is the season to unite us with joy

At Christmas time we’re taught to unite,

We don’t need a made-up reason to fight

So on O’Reilly, on Hannity, on Coulter, and those right wing blogs;

You should just sit back, relax…have a few egg nogs!

‘Tis the holiday season: enjoy it a pinch

With all our real problems, do we honestly need another Grinch?

So to my friends and my colleagues I say with delight,

A merry Christmas to all,

and to Bill O’Reilly…Happy Holidays.

Urbane Guerrilla 12-31-2005 02:04 AM

All that guff really amounts to is the anti-Christ crowd waving the white flag. "Since when were we having people not say 'Merry Christmas'?" ("Revisionists? When were we ever revisionists?") One is put in mind of the Soviets, another notably left of center group, announcing there had never been a Soviet-American race to the moon -- shortly after July 1969. :lol:

Recall that this matter did not start this year, but last year at about this time. This December there was more noise made about it, and it seems to have had the desired effect.

richlevy 12-31-2005 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Urbane Guerrilla
Recall that this matter did not start this year, but last year at about this time. This December there was more noise made about it, and it seems to have had the desired effect.

If the desired effect is to make the religious zealots seem more needy and out-of-touch, then the effect has been noted.

Christianity is the majority religion in the United States, but not the only one. Efforts to paint as anti-Christmas deliberate efforts to be inclusive are self-defeating.

Maybe this is all a warm up for the first US pogroms, but I doubt that there will be many takers.

Urbane Guerrilla 01-01-2006 01:26 AM

BS, Rich. I couldn't name such a zealot, and neither could you, most likely. It seems I must inform you that the desired effect is that "Merry Christmas" shall not be disparaged in the public square. This seems to me a better thing than what has been posted as the alternative path.

And for "the first US pogroms," you're a little late, by upwards of a century. Lynchings? Ku Klux Klan? Just pogroms writ small. Race riots? A little bigger and more destructive. Not sponsored by government Cossacks, to be sure, but then like many things American, this kind of thing seems quite adequately done by private individuals. Now, not vexing the Christians, of whatever intensity of practice, hardly seems the stuff to engender pogroms. For that you need three things: 1. Hatred. 2.Governmental Power. 3. A Disarmed Target Population.

Point to a zone where all three conditions apply, and that would be where in the U.S. to expect a pogrom.

xoxoxoBruce 01-01-2006 12:01 PM

The Branch Davidians were not disarmed. Disarming isn't necessary when you've got Warthogs and Apaches. :headshake

marichiko 01-01-2006 12:52 PM

Quote:

And for "the first US pogroms," you're a little late, by upwards of a century. Lynchings? Ku Klux Klan? Just pogroms writ small. Race riots? A little bigger and more destructive. Not sponsored by government Cossacks, to be sure, but then like many things American, this kind of thing seems quite adequately done by private individuals. Now, not vexing the Christians, of whatever intensity of practice, hardly seems the stuff to engender pogroms. For that you need three things: 1. Hatred. 2.Governmental Power. 3. A Disarmed Target Population.

Point to a zone where all three conditions apply, and that would be where in the U.S. to expect a pogrom.

Ever hear of something called "The Ghost Dance," UG? Or a people called the Lakota? Or a place called "Wounded Knee"? Ever hear of Canyon de Chelly and the Long March and the Navajo? Ever hear of the Cherokee and the "Trail Of Tears"? :eyebrow:

Urbane Guerrilla 01-09-2006 10:24 PM

As I said, Rich was a little on the late side here.

Mari, I did half my growing up in Rapid City, SD. Sioux all over the place. Been to Wounded Knee, too. We watched the AIM kick off, and kick up dust -- they were annoying enough that we started talking about the Assholes In Moccasins.

marichiko 01-09-2006 11:46 PM

Quiz for UG:

1) Wounded Knee is

a) what you put an ace bandage on
b) the place where some drunk injuns got uppity in the 1970's
c) the location where members of the Lakota tribe were slaughtered in the 1890's for practicing their religion.

2) The ghost dance is

a) What you do at a halloween party
b) What spirits do when they want to celebrate in the local graveyard
c) A ceremonial performed by the Lakota Sioux at the end of the 19th century that they believed would cause time to start running backwards, the buffalo would return, dead loved ones would be reborn, and the white man would vanish from the high plains.

3) Canyon de Chelly is:

a) the world's largest receptical for grape jelly
b) a resort in the French alps
c) the sacred home of the Dinee' or Navajo; the place where the Navajo's chief diety, Changing Woman, was said to have been born and the location of the final battle of the Navajo with the US military where many Navajo jumped to their deaths thousands of feet below rather than surrender their most holy site.

4) The long march is:

a) an especially tedious and lengthy tune your band teacher made you learn to play for homecoming parades
b) an especially snowy and wintery month that seems to go on forever
c) the forced journey by foot at the hands of the US Calvery that the Navajo made from their sacred home of Canyon de Chelly to a barren reservation in Oklahoma. Many Navajo died either on the march or in Oklahoma from starvation.

Don't bust a gasket trying to answer these. :eyebrow:

Urbane Guerrilla 01-10-2006 12:31 AM

I see every correct answer is C.

Mari, do us both a kindness: quit assuming I'm only as bright as you are, okay? Bring your A game, not your usual.

If I wanted to behave as irrelevantly resentful as yourself, I'd be sneeringly informing you that M.C. Escher is not a rapper.

I like the Ace bandage one, though.

marichiko 01-10-2006 12:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You know, UG, I actually dislike playing the PC card, but in your case, I think you deserve to be hit up side the head with it.

"Assholes in Mocasins"

Tonchi 01-10-2006 05:41 PM

UG's problem may also stem from the fact that some of those Sioux beat the shit out of him on occasions when he was being his typically antagonistic self at the wrong time. Friends have told me the Sioux are frequently 6'2" and very smart and you definitely do not want to get on their wrong side in a bar. UG probably decided it was safer for him to leave the state.

Urbane Guerrilla 01-10-2006 11:53 PM

Wrong on all counts, Tonchi. All the fights I ever had were with caucasian kids.

Satire should be done better. :p

Urbane Guerrilla 01-11-2006 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marichiko
You know, UG, I actually dislike playing the PC card, but in your case, I think you deserve to be hit up side the head with it.

"Assholes in Mocasins"

You're trying to pull off a conflation of Wounded Knee and the American Indian Movement. Won't work.

Bring your A game, girl! Not your usual one!

mrnoodle 01-11-2006 09:40 AM

I always got along well with people of other races, in general. Except japanese -- for some reason I've clashed with every Japanese person I've ever known. But as to racism, I've been colorblind forever. I don't make it my personal crusade to sniff out prejudice under every rock, I just don't factor it into my appraisal of someone's worth.

I'm also a "fundie". Why is it that my religious beliefs get me automatically pigeonholed into the "pokes brown people with sticks" category? I thought libs were supposed to be free of bias. *snort*

marichiko 01-11-2006 10:57 AM

Quote:

You're trying to pull off a conflation of Wounded Knee and the American Indian Movement. Won't work.

:3_eyes:

Ahem, earth to UG:

Quote:

Now, not vexing the Christians, of whatever intensity of practice, hardly seems the stuff to engender pogroms. For that you need three things: 1. Hatred. 2.Governmental Power. 3. A Disarmed Target Population.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marichiko
Ever hear of something called "The Ghost Dance," UG? Or a people called the Lakota? Or a place called "Wounded Knee"?

Quote:

Mari, I did half my growing up in Rapid City, SD. Sioux all over the place. Been to Wounded Knee, too. We watched the AIM kick off, and kick up dust -- they were annoying enough that we started talking about the Assholes In Moccasins.

You aren't even worth my C game, UG. Get back to me when you have something to say that doesn't insult the intelligence of everyone here. :right:

Noodle, I never knew that you fundies hated black folk! Really? Do you guys really beat 'em with sticks? Down here in fundieville, they seem to more or less leave the black folk alone (yes, Wolf, there are three black people here in Colorado. I guess Noodle and his friends ran off the rest. ;) ).

Tonchi 01-11-2006 04:47 PM

Mari, when UG starts spewing those "Bring it on" remarks of his, I am reminded of the priceless scene in Raiders of the Lost Ark where this huge sword-brandishing bully is glaring and posturing at Harrison Ford. We all know what the outcome was :D

Some people/statements/ideas aren't worth wasting your time on.

Clodfobble 01-12-2006 01:03 PM

Useless trivia: that scene was filmed that way because Harrison Ford was deathly ill that day on the set. It was supposed to be a long drawn-out fight scene, but he wasn't up to it so they changed it to the humorous set up instead.

Tonchi 01-12-2006 02:31 PM

... and one of the greatest scenes of all time is created :thumb: UG started talking about cuisine once and we all thought he was sick too. Unfortunately, he soon recovered.

Urbane Guerrilla 01-16-2006 08:12 PM

You don't get sick off my cooking, Tonchi, as you'd know if you tried some. Go ahead; it doesn't hurt 'less'n you overeat! :p

"... I am large, I contain multitudes." -- Walt Whitman

(rather OT) Recent development in cooking baked beans -- I found a recipe in something dating from the mid-1930s for baked beans that noted they can be done in under three hours if cooked in a pressure cooker instead of eight hours in the oven. Hmm.

xoxoxoBruce 01-17-2006 09:24 PM

They are fully cooked but not good. :vomit:

Tonchi 01-17-2006 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
They are fully cooked but not good. :vomit:

So are UG's philosophies :rolleyes:

marichiko 01-17-2006 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tonchi
So are UG's philosophies :rolleyes:

:lol2: One might add, half baked like his beans (say, are we having a circular agreement here? ;) )

Urbane Guerrilla 01-17-2006 11:47 PM

More of a mental circle jerk. :lame: Well, it keeps your hands busy and improves your morale...

Tonchi 01-18-2006 07:11 PM

UG seems to be more easily amused nowdays. Shall we tie him down and tickle him? :)

Urbane Guerrilla 01-19-2006 12:03 PM

Either that, or you're getting better at being amusing. Polls, tickles... handjobs? ;) This goes on long enough, we'll all have to adjourn to the recipe thread to keep our strength up.