The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Image of the Day (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   December 15, 2007 Great Escape (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=16196)

xoxoxoBruce 12-15-2007 11:59 AM

December 15, 2007 Great Escape

http://cellar.org/2007/browntrout.jpg

From the Telegraph
Caught in the act, Brown Trout escaping from a UK fish farm, by leaping 3 feet into an 8 inch supply pipe. They swim against the current for 30 feet, to the river that supplies water to the farm.

monster 12-15-2007 12:46 PM

:lol: hope they survive in the river.

Grilled with almonds and a little fresh lemon juice should do it.

coolcat 12-15-2007 11:24 PM

"instinct" what exactly is it?.... Has it been scientifically explained? ...

xoxoxoBruce 12-16-2007 01:15 AM

A pattern of behavior, they do without knowing why. We know why but they don't.

ZenGum 12-16-2007 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolcat (Post 417005)
"instinct" what exactly is it?.... Has it been scientifically explained? ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 417032)
A pattern of behavior, they do without knowing why. We know why but they don't.

Also, a pattern that is not learned after birth but is programmed in, innately. Chicks imprinting on the first big moving thing they see is an example.
I've seen some "explanations" that I didn't really understand but which seemed to me to work for very simple behaviours.
For example, caterpillars that always climb up branches are in fact climbing towards the light. Boffins like to mess with them by putting light bulbs at the bottom of grass stems and watching them climb down. (with lights at either end and a toggle switch, they have hours of fun...)
Anyway it turns out that if one of the caterpillar's eyes is receiving more light than the other, this sends a signal which inhibits (slows) the movement of legs on that side of the caterpillar's body. Just like with a tank, one side moving slower than the other means it turns, in this case, toward the light.
It is an open question, just how far this sort of behaviour can go in terms of complexity. For these fish, some mechanism to make them "swim into the current" seems quite possible.

Elspode 12-16-2007 03:07 AM

Are we pretty sure that they don't just somehow smell that there's some strange wherever that water's coming from? That would really simplify all the speculation.

xoxoxoBruce 12-16-2007 06:20 AM

Not everything, that gets a whiff of something strange, runs away from home.

morie 12-16-2007 09:01 AM

hope they aren't genetically modified trout. then again, it's probably too late to think about that.

Morie
check out my website: www.anthology.page.tl

classicman 12-16-2007 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 417064)
Not everything, that gets a whiff of something strange, runs away from home.

not something strange...SOME strange. At least, thats the way I read it.

Fish were designed to swim UPstream or into currents. But these trout, much like salmon, are still amazing to me.

Happy Monkey 12-16-2007 11:48 AM

Their normal behavior is to swim upstream to mate, jumping up waterfalls along the way. They've already explored the whole pool, and the only "upstream" is the pipe, which is nothing more than a particularly tricky waterfall to jump.

But it's not like they don't have all day to keep trying.

xoxoxoBruce 12-16-2007 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicman (Post 417111)
not something strange...SOME strange. At least, thats the way I read it.

Yeah, that's what I meant, your wording is more gooder.

TheMercenary 12-16-2007 04:08 PM

How do we know that the fish aren't just being spit out of the pipe backwards? :D

Gravdigr 12-17-2007 12:44 AM

When I first saw the pic, I hadn't read the story and thought it was a sewer pipe. I had this crazy mental image of some motherly English type sitting on a toilet, then letting out a whoop as a foot long brown trout tried to continue "swimming upstream". If you're picking up what I'm laying down...:eek:

Gravdigr 12-17-2007 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMercenary (Post 417154)
How do we know that the fish aren't just being spit out of the pipe backwards? :D

The fish look pretty calm, so I think they're swimming upstream. If they were coming out backwards, they would look scared as hell...:headshake