The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Politics (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Would you? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=16770)

Griff 03-06-2008 04:01 PM

Would you?

Would you ever consider being a temporary Democrat if your state was thinking of handing Hillary the nomination?

lookout123 03-06-2008 04:06 PM

No. I couldn't take enough showers to wash the guilt from my soul. I will proudly go to my grave knowing I've never registered for a party. Yes, I realize that means I don't get to vote in primaries, but that's life.

Clodfobble 03-06-2008 04:16 PM

I actually wondered about that very possibility this week, with the Texas primary 'n' all. I'm not registered one way or another, and I don't know if I'd have to do anything other than show up and pick a table to stand at. But then I got lazy and forgot about it.

Shawnee123 03-06-2008 05:11 PM

Years ago I had registered as a republican (first it was 'cause I was young and dumb and then because my father-in-law suggested a good political move is to vote in the primaries for the person you thought your party could beat.) I changed that some years ago. Well, went in Tuesday and they said I was still registered as a republican. I had to sign a paper saying I would uphold the teachings of the church of the democrat or something (and those switching from pub to dem had to do the same for their party.) So I voted the dem ticket, but that cut me out of voting for county sheriff or county coroner as everyone running was a republican. Go figure.

TheMercenary 03-06-2008 07:28 PM

Every state is different. The rules in every state are different for the primaries, some are open, some are closed, some have manipulated the system to include independents but exclude republickins. I crossed over and voted for Obama in an effort to exclude Hitlery. I have no idea who I am going to eventually vote for other than it will not be "that woman".

skysidhe 03-08-2008 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 437091)
Would you ever consider being a temporary Democrat if your state was thinking of handing Hillary the nomination?

Temporary Democrat to what end? To vote Obama?
Why not just be an independant?

oh nevermind
These politics are making me sick. :greenface

Griff 03-08-2008 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skysidhe (Post 437434)
Temporary Democrat to what end? To vote Obama?
Why not just be an independant?

Yeah, to vote for Obama since Bush/Clinton are one on foreign policy. In Pennsylvania, independents/ Libertarians/ Greens are all blocked from the primary system.

skysidhe 03-08-2008 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 437438)
Yeah, to vote for Obama since Bush/Clinton are one on foreign policy.

I understand the thinking here but I am not so sure Obama will be able to effect the change he says he can.

What I mean is he will have to compromise on some of his positions. He will have to come closer to the center to a more moderate position just as McCain will come closer to the center. It is the only way to get anything done in congress.

That's just my opinion. I know there is alot of passion and hope for the future and I hope with all my heart the Obama supporters are right and I am wrong.

xoxoxoBruce 03-08-2008 06:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Maybe...

Bullitt 03-08-2008 09:08 PM

Already did.. too bad she still took the state:neutral:

BrianR 03-09-2008 08:17 AM

Why worry about Bush? He's not running!
Clinton has no real chance of winning (I hope) since all the Middle Eastern and South American countries would immediately lose all respect for the US and I believe that a majority of Americans realize that.

Obama is a possible but I don't see him winning.

To me, this is another "hold your nose and vote Republican" election, like the last one.

Ibby 03-09-2008 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianR (Post 437527)

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/i...acd134db_m.jpg

Griff 03-09-2008 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianR (Post 437527)

Clinton and McCain are both advocates of his foreign policy.

Holding noses and voting Republican didn't work out too well last time. I don't see how giving a nutter like McCain the nuclear football makes the world a better place. The nose holding cuts both ways, if Hillary gets the nomination antiwar folks will have to find a third party representative.

Clodfobble 03-09-2008 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff
if Hillary gets the nomination antiwar folks will have to find a third party representative.

At this point, it's basically numerically impossible for her to beat him in unpledged delegates. (It's not completely impossible, but she would have to win every contest from here on out by a relatively huge margin, and no one believes that will happen.) The only question is whether the superdelegates will go against the general vote or not. Several high-level superdelegates have said it will never happen, because of the general anger and disillusionment it would cause, but I'll believe it when I see it.

piercehawkeye45 03-10-2008 05:24 PM

I'm not sure what I'm doing yet, I'm still not registered.

I've heard very bad things about Obama's foreign policy, a lot of his advisers are hawks who are considered the democratic version of Henry Kissinger.

I don't really trust any candidate, but maybe thats because I'm listening to The Who right now....