The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Cleaning House (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=12478)

Trilby 11-20-2006 03:48 PM

Cleaning House

Every fortnight or so (and by 'fortnight' I mean two years) I go around and clean things that I don't usually think of cleaning every week, like, oh, baseboards and window ledges, blinds, walls, the basement...etc. I did this today and I wonder: how have I managed to elude anthrax, SARS and the plague when I have such a dirty house?

I like to think I keep a relatively clean house, but, holy-joe! Owning three cats was definitely a mistake and the kids cannot be helped. BUT! How does all this crud get here? I always wonder--am I a slob? 'Coz my house never looks like The O.C. OR like I have ever, ever, ever had a maid. Because I haven't. Had a maid. Ever. This seems like a miscarriage of justice to me. I really could use a good maid.

So--really, how clean is your house? Is your grout clean? Are your outside gutters clean? Is your laundry room clean? Are the tops of your washer and dryer lint-free? If they are--I really hate you.

Undertoad 11-20-2006 03:55 PM

You clean every week?

Griff 11-20-2006 03:58 PM

I thought this was another colonoscopy thread ... sorry.

Shawnee123 11-20-2006 04:14 PM

Prior to moving, I had dust HIPPOs. We'll see how long I can keep up with this place. But, it's just me...so no yellow carpet in the bathroom. No cat hair pillows to be made. Shouldn't be too bad.

Trilby 11-20-2006 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad
You clean every week?

By 'every week' I mean every four months. Or, five.

Clodfobble 11-20-2006 05:56 PM

I have a little reminder program that I set up, that tells me when to clean what. Scrub each bathroom every 3 months, clean the ceiling fans every 6 months, dust once a month, etc... but I have them all staggered so that I end up with about one chore or so a week. I don't ever have to think about it, the computer just tells me what to do, and I never have to spend more than maybe 15 minutes at a time on cleaning.

Does that make me a freak? I have a system for cooking dinner too...

Trilby 11-20-2006 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble
I have a little reminder program that I set up, that tells me when to clean what. Scrub each bathroom every 3 months, clean the ceiling fans every 6 months, dust once a month, etc... but I have them all staggered so that I end up with about one chore or so a week. I don't ever have to think about it, the computer just tells me what to do, and I never have to spend more than maybe 15 minutes at a time on cleaning.

you are my worst nightmare.

footfootfoot 11-20-2006 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble

do tell, I could use a similar program if it would help me get out of the crisis management I live under.

Aliantha 11-20-2006 06:03 PM

Hmmmm...I'm a bit of a clean freak. I clean my house most days which includes sweeping and vaccuuming the floors. Wiping over all the surfaces for dust. Tidying my husbands incredibly messy office (I don't know how he messes it up when he only spends a couple of hours per evening in there). I usually wipe over the bathroom basin and tub but only use cleaning fluids on those surfaces once a week. I clean the toilet at least once a week. I wash all the sheets etc once a week. I also push all the cushions back properly into the couch.

I don't get dust bunnies thank god! Both me and hubby get the sneezes if there's much dust around.

Then I do the yard.

Under the house is a disaster area at the moment though. We're going to build in part of it, so since we moved there's a fair bit of stuff just chucked anywhere till we do the reno.

jinx 11-20-2006 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brianna
So--really, how clean is your house? Is your grout clean? Are your outside gutters clean? Is your laundry room clean? Are the tops of your washer and dryer lint-free? If they are--I really hate you.

Grout? I don't have any grout..
Outside gutters? What are these "gutters" of which you speak?
Laundry Room? Mine is a 200 year old basement. It's a scary as you can imagine. Although I do keep my lint in a bag...

My house is SO dirty right now. I hope to have it clean in time for the holidays, but I might have to pen the kids and LJ in the yard to keep it that way.

DucksNuts 11-20-2006 07:05 PM

I *used* to be a super super clean freak!! Think OCD on crack! I couldnt sit down of a nite time or go to bed unless the house was in *display house* order.

Now with the two little kiddies living here, I have given up.

I dont get how we are all gone from 7.30am till 6pm and the house still gets trashed...I still havent figured out how to get the crayon off the walls or the yogurt off the roof.

Some people live and breathe by FlyLady ... I say flylady can go eff herself.

Trilby 11-20-2006 07:11 PM

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Ducknuts and jinx--i think i love you

jinx 11-20-2006 07:13 PM

I used to do flylady, although I was never hard-core enough to wear makeup and shoes (couldn't grasp how that made my house cleaner either), it really does help. A maid would help a lot more I imagine.

DanaC 11-20-2006 07:13 PM

I used to have a really nice tidy little cottage.......then I ran for local government and started a degree and it all went tits up so to speak.

I have learned to be comfortable in a mess now....it's the only way. Every so often it all gets too much and I go on a cleaning frenzy...but never if there's an essay due!

Trilby 11-20-2006 07:16 PM

I'll bet any one of you cunt's that no man will tread on this thread! waddya say?