The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Sports (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Camping Tips (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=32594)

xoxoxoBruce 03-03-2017 04:12 PM

Camping Tips

2 Attachment(s)
I'ma gonna dump some camping tips here 'bouts..

xoxoxoBruce 03-03-2017 04:13 PM

2 Attachment(s)
S'more...

Pamela 03-03-2017 06:08 PM

Many good ideas there. I pack my kit about the same way, although I carry some other things as well. And I notice it made no mention of extra socks/change of clothes and hygiene items like a toothbrush or baby wipes. Never leave home without baby wipes!

glatt 03-04-2017 07:13 AM

Excellent ideas. Although I have to snicker at the relative sizes of some of the items in that backpack. For example number 24, the foam sleeping pad. A regular non-inflatable one takes up as much space as a tent. See if you can even find 24.

Griff 03-04-2017 07:35 AM

Interesting lists, maybe we should compare sometime with the one we inherited and updated. As fate would have it, Lil' Pete is camping this weekend.

sexobon 03-04-2017 11:18 PM

Maybe #24 is a spray can of expanding foam insulation. :D

Pamela 03-07-2017 05:09 AM

I prefer dry grass/leaves piled under my tent (make sure there are no rocks or roots there!) for padding. Less to carry, although I do have a closed foam sleeping pad that I sometimes use. I would carry the pad if I were planning on urban camping where I might be sleeping on concrete or other hard surfaces.

I love my Biolite camp stove too. Best camp stove I ever used. It does need a flat, solid surface to stand on, but it can support a small cast iron pan or Dutch Oven as well as the grill attachment. It cools quickly too, once you are done with it. The legs seem rickety and awkward but once you get the hang of using them, they really aren't.

footfootfoot 03-07-2017 07:43 AM

Here's something I never could figure out. Apparently you can make a snow cave and live inside w/o freezing to death. But you read of people in their cars in blizzards who get buried and freeze to death. Isn't the car effectively a snow cave once it is buried? Do they actually suffocate or is it that the space inside the car, however insulated with mountains of snow, is too big to warm? I'm guessing, now that I think about it, 2 tons of metal is a greater heat sink than two tons of snow. Presumably, it would be better to make a snow cave outside the car.

Did I answer my own question?

xoxoxoBruce 03-07-2017 02:39 PM

Usually the ones trapped in cars try to run the engine, at least intermittently, and the exhaust gets them. Plus the ones sheltering in snow caves are waiting out a storm or sheltering overnight then move on when they can. The ones buried in cars are waiting to be found and rescued.

monster 03-07-2017 09:08 PM

Duck Tape
Bungees

pen & paper essential

leave the foam pad

sexobon 03-08-2017 05:16 PM

battery operated TV
folding lounge chair
sun umbrella
porter

captainhook455 03-08-2017 08:30 PM

I would think the occupants of a car are not dressed for the weather. It's possible to survive in a 32° snow cave or buried car if you are dressed properly.
People that live in snow country should carry some supplies in case they have to wait for triple a.

tarheel

xoxoxoBruce 03-08-2017 09:24 PM

A can of tuna in oil can cook your supper, and you can eat it too.

http://imgur.com/lMYWcHY

Griff 03-09-2017 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by captainhook455 (Post 983835)
I would think the occupants of a car are not dressed for the weather. It's possible to survive in a 32° snow cave or buried car if you are dressed properly.
People that live in snow country should carry some supplies in case they have to wait for triple a.

tarheel

Or hope some native girl rides up with hot coffee to check on you.
http://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/stranded-...back-1.3315992

footfootfoot 03-09-2017 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 983857)
Or hope some native girl rides up with hot coffee to check on you.
http://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/stranded-...back-1.3315992

Faith in humanity restoration level: 100%

footfootfoot 03-09-2017 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by captainhook455 (Post 983835)

tarheel

I have to explain that to my kids all the time when they jump in the car wearing a t-shirt and light sweatshirt when it is -10. "Don't assume the worst won't happen." I usually keep a blanket or sleeping bag in the car in the winter.

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 983839)
A can of tuna in oil can cook your supper, and you can eat it too.

http://imgur.com/lMYWcHY

I'm gonna guess that is instant rice. I think some foil around the base would help keep the heat in. I have to try that.

glatt 03-09-2017 07:11 AM

Be mindful of the plastic coating on the inside of the tuna can melting a little into your tuna.

Undertoad 03-09-2017 07:22 AM

Quote:

I'm gonna guess that is instant rice.
Yeah no the oil in one can of tuna didn't boil a cup of water and two cups rice for 20 minutes. That shit is tepid.

Pamela 03-11-2017 08:34 PM

My truck is equipped for winter survival and summer desert survival. I keep sleeping bags and extra blankets on hand, plus several gallons of water, about a weeks' worth of food, several flashlights and extra batteries, an emergency radio and plenty of clothing. I have a knife too, just in case.

monster 03-11-2017 08:49 PM

pschew.... I have that and more just in my minivan. Except the week's food because the little shits boys eat it faster than I can restock. Also gender-non-specific spare clothes for all seasons and sneakers. And swim goggles. And a wash kit. And sewing kit. Towels. ....

ok... stopping...

not going to start on what's in my handbag/purse.....

sexobon 03-11-2017 09:01 PM

I don't like carrying the weight of a lot of water; so, I keep some dehydrated water tablets in my wallet. I just haven't figured out what to reconstitute them with yet.

xoxoxoBruce 03-11-2017 09:12 PM

Piss on 'em. ;)

monster 03-11-2017 09:20 PM

...yes, water purifying tablets.....

monster 03-11-2017 09:21 PM

but they're so far out of date it's probably safer to drink the water ;)

glatt 03-13-2017 10:13 AM

I found the jugs of drinking water in my car were freezing, so I just added a pint of antifreeze to each one.

Gravdigr 03-13-2017 03:34 PM

I just drink a little antifreeze every now and then to stay topped up.

Crown Royal makes a really tasty antifreeze.:yum:

monster 03-13-2017 05:04 PM

oooh non minimalist camping tip (prob only for those on this side of the pond)...... Reuse one of those semi-transparent gallon milk jugs as a small drinking water container. At night, set it on a flat surface and set your big flashlight to shine into it and you will have a very useful lantern, bright enough for food prep etc

xoxoxoBruce 03-23-2017 10:47 PM

Good evening Mr. and Mrs. America, from border to border and coast to coast and all the ships at sea. There's good news tonight!

Quote:

National Geographic has built an easy to use web interface that allows anyone to quickly find any 7.5 minute topo in the continental U.S.A. for downloading and printing. Each topo has been pre-processed to print on a standard home, letter size printer. These are the same topos that were printed by USGS for decades on giant bus-sized presses but are now available in multi-page PDFs that can be printed just about anywhere. They are pre-packaged using the standard 7.5 minute, 1:24,000 base but with some twists:

Page 1 is an overview map showing the topo in context
Pages 2 through 5 are the standard USGS topo cut in quarters to fit on standard printers
Hillshading has been added to each page of the PDF to help visualize the topography.
http://www.natgeomaps.com/trail-maps/pdf-quads

Since now National Geographic is in bed with FOX, these were probably intended for the survivalists in Idaho, but you can get them too. Of course the NSA will probably monitor your downloads so get extras scattered around the country to mind fuck them. ;)

Pamela 03-25-2017 09:03 PM

I downloaded every chart of US waterways once. Still have em.

Not sure what I'm going to DO with them, but I got em, just in case the zombie apocalypse comes and I have to take to a boat to survive.

BigV 03-27-2017 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pamela (Post 985151)
I downloaded every chart of US waterways once. Still have em.

Not sure what I'm going to DO with them, but I got em, just in case the zombie apocalypse comes and I have to take to a boat to survive.

Then we'll have

Want to sea what Pam seas?

johngibbs 03-28-2017 03:22 PM

No hot dogs? Come on now...

Gravdigr 03-28-2017 03:35 PM

They're in the box with the pork & beans.

xoxoxoBruce 04-01-2017 10:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Seems to me it would be less work to wrestle a bear for his cave. :rolleyes:

Pamela 04-02-2017 08:11 PM

Gotta share dis

http://media.oglaf.com/comic/rangerron.jpg

BigV 04-02-2017 11:19 PM

LOL

glatt 04-03-2017 07:14 AM

Back at my desk after a weekend camping trip.

We had a lot of rain Friday night, but it stopped overnight and was dry by morning. The crazy thing was, after all the leaf cover was dry and we had returned from a morning hike, a trickle had appeared in our camp area. I followed it to its source, and it was bubbling up out of the ground.

I've seen springs before, but they were already running. This is a spring I saw just as it was beginning to spring. Pretty cool. Cool that is, until the trickle got stronger and then all the paths became little streams and we had big puddles growing all around the camp area.

glatt 04-03-2017 07:59 AM

4 Attachment(s)
So the spring started off barely producing any water.
Attachment 59958
But then it started flowing more.
Attachment 59959
And threatened some tents
Attachment 59960
And flooded the paths.
Attachment 59961

fargon 04-03-2017 12:18 PM

Cool. Did you get a drink from it?

glatt 04-03-2017 02:23 PM

Nah. It was probably clean enough to drink right at the source, but it was literally in the middle of a group campsite. Humans are filthy disgusting creatures and there is no telling what had been done to that spot on the ground before the water came.

Gravdigr 04-03-2017 03:50 PM

There is no water 'clean enough to drink' untreated.

Even falling from the sky, it's too dirty to be good for ya.

xoxoxoBruce 04-03-2017 07:33 PM

Right, drink beer.

Gravdigr 04-03-2017 10:21 PM

;)

xoxoxoBruce 04-09-2017 01:27 PM

Skip the hassle of camping, go Glamping in California.

Quote:

Terra Glamping is a luxury glamping experience 2.5 hours north of San Francisco along Pacific Coast Highway 1.

Each of our ten safari tents have a full ocean view. Starting at $250/night, you can expect the following at Terra Glamping:

Comfort and luxury - Sleep well on a memory foam bed with down comforter, in a well appointed safari tent
Reconnect with nature - Enjoy a digital detox as you take in the sun, ocean and stars
Connect with others - Romance is in the air as you and your sweetheart meet new friends or enjoy the privacy of your tent
Adventure - Whale watching, a campfire with s'mores, hiking and kayaking await...or read a book and enjoy the ocean breeze
:lol:

Pi 04-18-2017 04:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 983451)
Excellent ideas. Although I have to snicker at the relative sizes of some of the items in that backpack. For example number 24, the foam sleeping pad. A regular non-inflatable one takes up as much space as a tent. See if you can even find 24.

Back in my wild days as recon I bought a foldable sleeping pad. It wasn't very thick and we draw our body outline on it and cut off everything else...
It was good as a cushion too and as we didn't sleep a lot it served us well.
Also check out the newest tech on sleeping pads : http://gizmodo.com/everything-you-ev...eep-1658866916

Pi 04-18-2017 04:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by footfootfoot (Post 983635)
Here's something I never could figure out. Apparently you can make a snow cave and live inside w/o freezing to death. But you read of people in their cars in blizzards who get buried and freeze to death. Isn't the car effectively a snow cave once it is buried? Do they actually suffocate or is it that the space inside the car, however insulated with mountains of snow, is too big to warm? I'm guessing, now that I think about it, 2 tons of metal is a greater heat sink than two tons of snow. Presumably, it would be better to make a snow cave outside the car.

Did I answer my own question?

I did some survival in Austria and Finland. So your answer is correct and then snow insulates very well. There's no wind/chill factor to consider when staying inside the snow. It's a smaller space than probably a car and with your body head and a small candle you could live quite comfortably for a night or two.

Griff 04-18-2017 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 986413)
Skip the hassle of camping, go Glamping in California.

:lol:

kinda missing the whole point aren't they?

The last pad I got was closed cell. Pi's article gets it right they are comfortable and rugged but bulky to pack.

glatt 04-18-2017 08:09 AM

I just got an ultra light inflatable pad for my birthday. It's the size of a liter water bottle when folded up. We'll see how it works in a few weeks. On the living room floor, it's comfortable, very warm, and a bit loud.

footfootfoot 04-18-2017 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 985994)
Right, drink beer.

This is why, during the 1854 Broad Street cholera outbreak, brewery workers did not contract cholera:
Quote:

There was one significant anomaly – none of the workers in the nearby Broad Street brewery contracted cholera. They were given a daily allowance of beer, and did not consume water from the nearby well. The water used in the brewing process is boiled during mashing which kills cholera bacteria.
I'll be brewing on Thursday. The first time since my divorce Hejira ended.

footfootfoot 04-18-2017 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 987040)
kinda missing the whole point aren't they?

Back in my bike mechanic days, people were still touring. One day we mechanics were spec'ing out our dream touring bikes discussing what braze-ons we wanted for racks and water bottles and other accessories. The manager said his ideal touring bike had only one pair of braze-ons right on the top tube, for his credit card. Bike from hotel to hotel, sleep in a nice warm bed and have a hot shower.

He was (still is. actually) all about biking.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 987040)
The last pad I got was closed cell. Pi's article gets it right they are comfortable and rugged but bulky to pack.

I have tried about six different pads and nothing tops my green closed-cell ensolite pad. Mine got destroyed/lost/given away by Kali. I would like to find another. Perhaps I can just find a foam supplier and get some closed cell neoprene, which is what I think they were made of.

sexobon 04-18-2017 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 987046)
I just got an ultra light inflatable pad for my birthday. It's the size of a liter water bottle when folded up. We'll see how it works in a few weeks. On the living room floor, it's comfortable, very warm, and a bit loud.

If you're concerned about using an inflatable on rough ground, you can put a Spectra or Kevlar drop cloth under it:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1500-Denier-...QAAOSwHMJYG8XS

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3000-Denier-...3D302283988743

glatt 04-18-2017 08:12 PM

good call.

xoxoxoBruce 04-18-2017 08:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Problem solved.

captainhook455 04-19-2017 10:47 AM

I am stealing that picture Bruce. I think it was Pam who said she would rake up leaves for the pad under the tent.
I have done that many times. Often wondered what the next camper thought when they saw that square of leaves on the tent pad.

Sent from my Z818L using Tapatalk

glatt 04-19-2017 10:54 AM

You don't practice "leaf no trace?"

Gravdigr 04-19-2017 01:54 PM

I practice trace no leaves.

Griff 04-20-2017 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by footfootfoot (Post 987049)
Back in my bike mechanic days, people were still touring. One day we mechanics were spec'ing out our dream touring bikes discussing what braze-ons we wanted for racks and water bottles and other accessories. The manager said his ideal touring bike had only one pair of braze-ons right on the top tube, for his credit card. Bike from hotel to hotel, sleep in a nice warm bed and have a hot shower.

He was (still is. actually) all about biking.

Gotta know what you want.

My touring bike has been hanging a long time.

xoxoxoBruce 05-27-2017 01:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Snek! Snek! Don't fall for the old suck out the poison trick, ladies.

captainhook455 05-27-2017 06:55 PM

Thats the old joke where two buddies are in the woods and one gets bit on his pecker. The other runs to town to find help. They said to suck out the poison.

He goes back to his buddy and says, man you gonna die.

Sent from my Z818L using Tapatalk

xoxoxoBruce 07-18-2019 11:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
If you get stranded on a South Sea Island you should know how to open a coconut.

xoxoxoBruce 07-26-2019 01:25 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Treading water and fighting gators...