The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Current Events (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Signs of the times (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=2172)

Gravdigr 11-16-2017 03:50 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 62377

Attachment 62379

tw 11-17-2017 08:35 AM

Must be Trump country.

Gravdigr 12-02-2017 03:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 62535

Why would you fight a child w/diebeetus?:eek:

glatt 12-02-2017 03:19 PM

That's so not right.

sexobon 12-02-2017 07:21 PM

December 1st last fell on a Sunday in 2013. They've had a few years to get it right.

lumberjim 12-04-2017 04:13 PM

It says bizarre. And it is.

Gravdigr 12-12-2017 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 999450)
Why would you fight a child w/diebeetus?:eek:

Cuz I like to win.

BRING IT YA LITTLE SHIT!!!!

Gravdigr 12-12-2017 04:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
...by the each?

Attachment 62654

BigV 12-14-2017 07:52 PM

scale broken, just buy the damn steak

or....

by the "8 oz portion", so a price of $4.50 per is really $9.00 / pound.

Carruthers 12-15-2017 04:52 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Local newspapers have always plodded along in the shadow of their national and regional counterparts.
Apart from the rare occasion when a story of national importance occurs on their patch it has always been a struggle to come up with a headline that will encourage potential readers to part with their money.
No doubt circulation increased by tens of thousands...

Attachment 62690 Attachment 62691

xoxoxoBruce 12-15-2017 06:00 AM

Absolutely, working 2nd shift(2:30 to 11) there were always plenty of newspapers left behind. I'd always look for the local paper (Delaware County Times) because they would tell me the important things. Stuff like a sausage dog runs amok, or Chester Twp cop doing a routine check at the Boots&Bonnets Bar, couldn't get out because there was a dead body against the outside of the door when he tried to leave.
The Philly Inquirer was just depressing stuff like hate and crooked politicians and war.

glatt 12-15-2017 06:45 AM

I love my little local paper. It has stuff that I actually care about. School sports. Local issues. Quirky stories.

My daughter sent a letter to the editor a couple weeks ago as a college assignment and it got published, giving her an automatic A on that project.
That makes me wonder how many letters are written by college kids doing homework. You can tell the nut balls easily enough, but if a letter makes sense and spotlights an issue, did a college kid write it for homework?

tw 12-15-2017 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 1000218)
The Philly Inquirer was just depressing stuff like hate and crooked politicians and war.

If you emotions are relevant, then you are still a child. Adults need facts and do not let their emotions rule them.

We massacred 50,000 Americans in Vietnam for no purpose because so many adults were emotional - and then foolishly believed a president who was a crook. They even blamed the victims and all other students at Kent State for a massacre created by corrupt Ohio National Guard soldiers. A classic murder justified by emotional adults. An example of how hate rules so many adults who are still children.

Adults never let emotions (fear of or love of) rule. Children do. Adults learn irregardless of their emotions.

Local paper is useless if it does not report upcoming events. Until recently, most local papers never did. For example, a paper must list time and location for every 4th of July fireworks. None around here did. Local paper must report the results of the investigation of every car crash and murder. Still most don't. Those would be relevant facts. Most local papers only want to hype emotion of the crash or murder. And cannot be bothered a month later to report what really happened, why, and details of that trial or scientific study. Emotional adults (their target audience) don't care about facts.

Gravdigr 12-15-2017 12:02 PM

Dude. Don't you get tired of repeating the same thing ad infinitum?

I've asked before with no proper response, but...

TW, what do you do for a living? Srs qstn, no barb to follow, just genuinely curious.

glatt 12-15-2017 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tw (Post 1000237)
Local paper must report the results of the investigation of every car crash and murder. Still most don't. Those would be relevant facts. Most local papers only want to hype emotion of the crash or murder. And cannot be bothered a month later to report what really happened, why, and details of that trial or scientific study.

This is actually a good point. But the truth is that a newspaper story must be a story to engage the reader.

18 year old boy took LSD, thought he was dying of internal hemorrhaging when he started throwing up red jello in the shower, so he ran out naked into a busy street and got arrested when he fought back as the cops tried to subdue him. It's anticlimactic to write a story four months later that the charges were dropped because he kept his nose clean and apologized to everyone and their mother.