The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Current Events (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Texas arresting people in bars for being drunk (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=10472)

Torrere 04-09-2006 03:54 AM

Texas arresting people in bars for being drunk

Quote:

SAN ANTONIO, Texas (Reuters) - Texas has begun sending undercover agents into bars to arrest drinkers for being drunk, a spokeswoman for the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission said on Wednesday.

The first sting operation was conducted recently in a Dallas suburb where agents infiltrated 36 bars and arrested 30 people for public intoxication, said the commission's Carolyn Beck.

Being in a bar does not exempt one from the state laws against public drunkenness, Beck said.
Sheeeeeeeeeesh!

xoxoxoBruce 04-09-2006 10:40 AM

Are they testing or making subjective judgements? :confused:

Beestie 04-09-2006 11:32 AM

Since when are bars public property?

Clodfobble 04-09-2006 03:33 PM

Subjective judgments. They are specifically not doing breathalyzers or field sobriety tests, they're pretty much going based on whether your behavior is considered disruptive or not. It's almost more "disturbing the peace" than "public intoxication," though the latter is still what you're charged with I believe.

There's been a huge uproar, and I expect the nonsense will cease shortly due to the PR nightmare it's turned into.

Elspode 04-09-2006 06:28 PM

What's next? Busting people in whorehouses for having sex?

zippyt 04-09-2006 11:01 PM

Since when are bars public property?

I agree , I don't see haw this could be constitunal .

I wounder if the rangers came to your house , and you were sitting quietly in side buzzed ( leagealy on say beer ) , they knocked on your door , ( by mistake , wrong address ) , could they bust you for opening the door ?? or would you have to step out side ???

marichiko 04-10-2006 12:40 AM

Yep, bars are private property. That's why they have bouncers to kick the rowdy patrons out. The bar owner frowns on such behavior in HIS establishment. Now, if the cops stood outside the bar and arrested drunks coming out, that might be different. Still, I see drunks here coming out of bars all the time and waiting good naturely for a cab to take them home. I really don't see why the cops would do such a thing. Isn't there enough ACTUAL crime in Texas to keep law enforcement busy?

Its one thing if a rowdy drunk starts accosting people on a public sidewalk; a whole other thing if someone quietly drinks 6 martini's in a bar and then takes a cab home. Stupid thing to waste the time of law enforcement officers on and unconstitutional, as well.

Flint 04-10-2006 09:06 AM

Sadly, his very real news item almost belongs on The Onion.

Trilby 04-10-2006 09:08 AM

I thought bartenders were supposed to sort of have a feel for a patron and if said patron was snockered, to quietly get him/her a cab or similar? No?

Flint 04-10-2006 09:42 AM

@B: True, yes, but at the same time they are serving alcohol - and applying an arbitrary law enforcable point where the effects of the product being sold are considered not acceptable is a little hard to make sense of. Either alcohol is illegal or it is not.

The bartender that stops serving you is making a private business decision.

FallenFairy 04-10-2006 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flint
The bartender that stops serving you is making a private business decision.

Right on the head Flint... but take it one step further - the bartender is also covering their own ass... in most states now the bartender and bar owner can be held legally responsible for allowing an overly impared patron to leave their establishment, should accident or death befall that person due to drunk driving or other alcohol related accident ... I spent some time bartending in Seattle and we were sent to classes held by the Alcohol Control Board to learn how to determine a patrons height/weight and the amount of alcohol it would take to impair that person... (an inaccurate and futile game, how does one know how many drinks or other substances said patron had before entering your establishment?)

Point is once the powers that be make it so not only the bar patrons are accountable for their individual actions ie. over-imbibing and choosing to drive, but that the bartender and bar owner are responsible for that individuals bad decision... well, the demise of the friendly neighborhood bar is on the horizon....
Seems to me the authorities in Texas are looking to hurry the process.

Trilby 04-10-2006 03:33 PM

whaa...? I'd love t'know what yoooo said but em tooo drunksye

jaguar 04-12-2006 08:26 AM

In the UK it's illegal to serve someone who appears drunk but any attempt at enforcement would result in another poll tax riot.

Flint 04-13-2006 09:13 AM

Due to public outcry, the TABC is suspending this program, pending an internal investigation. What a joke. What happens when you make something that people are going to do anyway illegal? They do it anyway, but you lose tax revenues. They do it anyway, but completely unregulated. They do it anyway, but an underground industry is formed, and violence follows as organized crime bosses muscle in for a piece of the action.

Am I to understand that we will still have bars, they will still serve alcohol, but it will be illegal to get drunk? So you have to go to a speak-easy?

FallenFairy 04-13-2006 09:30 AM

Maybe we should invest in a speak-easy now and beat the rush...if this is a sign of the times, there's gonna be lots of business for us!

Possibly TX will consider passing legislation imposing a 2 drink limit in all public places... :headshake
ahhh but again - bars are privately owned...