The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Cellar Meta (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Let's improve on the user profile (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=8208)

Undertoad 04-26-2005 03:31 PM

Let's improve on the user profile

The current user profile includes a section where there are four "free format" fields (four free format fields, say that four times fast).

These fields are: biography, interests, location, occupation. Aside from "location", which appears on every post, the fields only show up if you look at someone's profile.

We can edit these or add to these. What should be asked - the original LJ poll questions?

SteveDallas 04-26-2005 05:27 PM

The questions from the end of Inside the Actor's Studio?

Happy Monkey 04-26-2005 05:39 PM

Perhaps the ability to put multiple homepages in?

lookout123 04-26-2005 06:00 PM

i enjoy visiting everyone's homepages, but that does leave about 3/4 of the cellarites out - remember the cellar isn't just for the computer savvy anymore.

how about something to do with what you do in real life? sort of like a resource guide?

BigV 04-26-2005 06:34 PM

:2cents:
I like this idea, but I approach it from a consumer of the information much more than a producer of personal information. I would like to be able to add my own details about my friends here. Stuff I have noticed and wish to remember. Like no pickles for wolf, and that zippyt knows his record labels, and that OC also has a teenage son, same as me...likes, dislikes, etc. y'know?

wolf 04-27-2005 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveDallas
The questions from the end of Inside the Actor's Studio?

I like that idea. Even if the questions are from some damn Frog show ...

Well, we should at least have the "what's your favorite curse word?" question.

mrnoodle 04-28-2005 12:21 PM

A couple of silly questions would be fun. kind of like the "what kind of _____ are you" quizzes, but not a quiz. you get to say what kind of _____ you are.

richlevy 04-28-2005 03:49 PM

One feature I would like to see is a the number of ignore lists the person is on. As a matter of fact, I would like to know the top 5 Cellarites on other's ignore lists.

BTW, why is it you can add someone to your buddy list from the drop down you get by clicking the name on a post, but to add them to the ignore list you have to go to their profile?

lumberjim 04-28-2005 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad
- the original LJ poll questions?

which one was that? or do you mean a bizzare batch of questions in general?

i bet if you put your mind ( and maybe hot_pastrami's) to it, you could come up with random quizzes for every newbie. we could all contribute several questions we'd like to know about the new and untested. ;) ;)

how about a 'source' field? " i found the cellar via ___________"

BigV 04-29-2005 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lumberjim
how about a 'source' field? " i found the cellar via ___________"

interesting, but it has the REEK of mass marketing research to it. :vomit:

Troubleshooter 04-29-2005 11:53 AM

How about:

Top or bottom?

Spit or swallow?

Pitch or catch?

wolf 04-29-2005 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigV
interesting, but it has the REEK of mass marketing research to it. :vomit:

I really like the idea of being able to post "I found The Cellar via The Cellar."

Or Delaware Valley Computer User, which is really the case.

xoxoxoBruce 04-29-2005 05:54 PM

I thought the point was the post not the poster. :confused:

hot_pastrami 04-29-2005 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lumberjim
i bet if you put your mind ( and maybe hot_pastrami's) to it, you could come up with random quizzes for every newbie. we could all contribute several questions we'd like to know about the new and untested. ;) ;)

These days, most of the things I put my mind to recoil in shock and disgust. Spongy!

The key is to ask about things that are interesting, amusing, or useful. One field that would occasionally be useful is a gender field... some users' handles don't give a clue which pronoun to apply. Of course each user has the option to leave this field blank if he/she doesn't wish for his/her gender to be used for slash-paired pronoun reduction.

Happy Monkey's idea to use multiple homepages is a good idea, though "homepage" may not be the best term there. For instance, I'd add a link to my Flickr profile, and maybe my resumé... neither of which is really a "homepage." Maybe just "Personal URLs" or something equally goofy and ambiguous.

One possibility to add some value to the community, assuming these fields are included in a search somewhere, would be a field to indicate things that one has expertise in. So I could search all users for "psychology," and learn that Wolf is a good person to ask whether I am truly disturbed, or just faking it to get attention. The "interests" field sort of covers this, but not exactly.

That's all I can think of right now.

wolf 04-29-2005 11:51 PM

Some folks, myself included, may have a hesitation to provide certain specific information in the context of the profile.