The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Image of the Day (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Jan 18, 2010: Book Shelves (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=21903)

xoxoxoBruce 01-17-2010 11:19 PM

Jan 18, 2010: Book Shelves

I hear it, I read it, and I personally experience it... Where am I gonna put all these damn books? :smack:
Boxes, bins, shelves, stacks... books and more books, we don't want to, or can't find a practical way to, get rid of.
I admit I'm old school in that a book, any book, should not be intensionally destroyed. Find a home for it... like it was a puppy.

Here's a practical solution, just put shelves up over the windows.

http://cellar.org/2010/bookcase1.jpg

Oh, make sure you have enough headroom. ;)

http://cellar.org/2010/bookcase2.jpg

link

via

nil_orally 01-18-2010 12:05 AM

So where does one put the collection of short stories?

casimendocina 01-18-2010 12:39 AM

There's room underneath the windows as well.

xoxoxoBruce 01-18-2010 01:30 AM

And between the windows. And on the window sills. And in boxes in the corner... wait, there's no corners. :blush:

SPUCK 01-18-2010 04:51 AM

A touchy subject around here... We have about 10 garbage sacks of books in our living room and rented storage that has perhaps 1,000 more.. Then there's my SciFi collection in the bedroom that's about another thousand. But they're small! <sigh>

capnhowdy 01-18-2010 06:12 AM

I'll just take the guitar that's in the first pic and y'all can have the books.

Undertoad 01-18-2010 06:35 AM

This picture just makes me rage. Those books are just decor. Nobody is keeping a 18' stepladder around to use on the hardwood floors.

I also hate those style of chairs: expensive but clearly uncomfortable. And I hate rooms where they show you how rich they are by having 10 different windows to close the blinds of, to make the point that you never close the blinds, because you have enough land that you still have privacy in your pretend-reading room.

Eat the rich.

Griff 01-18-2010 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 627797)
This picture just makes me rage. Those books are just decor. Nobody is keeping a 18' stepladder around to use on the hardwood floor.

Well you don't need a ladder, put an uncomfortable armchair atop that table, throw the unused Martin (guess based on other pretensions) guitar across the arms climb on up!

It would be cool to have one of those library ladders installed if people really lived without stuff against the walls.

lumberjim 01-18-2010 08:18 AM

that sofa looks rather mundane and out of place for such an austere looking room.

don't eat the rich.....let's be nice to them.

Trilby 01-18-2010 08:35 AM

UT - those chairs are made for size zero-1 people. THEY think they're comfy.

Also - I WANT THAT ROOM! (with bigger chairs) (and probably a different couch)

I LOOOOOOOOVE the snobby windows, the wood floors, the books up above, the hobbit door. And as for actually getting the books down, that's what Jeeves is for, dahling. Or, probably in this case, Consuelo.

Tawny 01-18-2010 08:50 AM

I see conflicting wood grains.

It's truly disturbing to see how some people are forced to live.

skysidhe 01-18-2010 08:55 AM

I think it is quite a nice room. I don't think the couch is mundane at all. Maybe I only say that because when I was a cub - scout den mother I went into some of the homeowners houses and they could barely afford to furnish them. sheesh what's the point in trying to keep up with the jones if the inside of your house looks shabby. I'm talking ratty couches the second hand stores would not want.

Pete Zicato 01-18-2010 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skysidhe (Post 627827)
I'm talking ratty couches the second hand stores would not want.

Dog owners.

Trilby 01-18-2010 09:30 AM

IMO the couch needs to be lower and curvier to reflect the curves of the windows, room and ceiling. and it needs to be a dark red. That green-blue is too chilly for the room

skysidhe 01-18-2010 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Zicato (Post 627830)
Dog owners.

Nope. My sister is a multiple dog owner and her couch is ok.

It was a very expensive neighborhood. My aunt and uncle developed and built their house there on the same street. They could afford to furnish it nicely so maybe I am biased. There is even a street named after them.

( memory - one of those strange but true stories I have to share.)

My aunt and uncle passed away years ago. Within months of each other they were both gone. My aunt of lung cancer she was receiving hospice care at home. One day my uncle said he wasn't feeling well and lay down beside her in her hospital bed and beat her to it. He couldn't bear to be without her I guess. The story goes when my aunt who was dying woke up and saw he was passed away said,'god damn you ___.'

Why she said that is anyone's guess.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brianna (Post 627831)
IMO the couch needs to be lower and curvier to reflect the curves of the windows, room and ceiling. and it needs to be a dark red. That green-blue is too chilly for the room

I would agree with that. I thought the couch looked like something small children would read on perhaps.