The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Cellar Meta (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   do you take psych pills? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=13055)

lumberjim 01-10-2007 10:16 PM

do you take psych pills?

i know that we are not a fair representation of the populace as a whole, but....still. i'd like to know.

Ibby 01-10-2007 10:39 PM

I was on Ritalin a few years back, but I still attest I didn't need them, and almost never took them anyway.

skysidhe 01-10-2007 10:55 PM

No never

Psych pills are "anit- psychotics". What did you take lj?

Ritalin and antidepressants are not psych pills. IBRAM...and you are right. You probably didn't need them
.( just cause you said you didn't)

lumberjim 01-10-2007 11:12 PM

i meant any pill designed to manage your moods, psyche, etc.

SteveDallas 01-10-2007 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skysidhe (Post 306286)
IBRAM...and you are right. You probably didn't need them
.( just cause you said you didn't)

Say more please.... how do you "know" if you "need" them? If I say I don't is that necessary and sufficient? How do I know I'm not wrong? How do you know I'm not wrong? What if things other people think are dragging you "down" are things you consider core components of your personality? What if you obsessively post to message boards (in between checking your package tracking status) at 12:16AM?

Aliantha 01-10-2007 11:20 PM

I think you need them steve...

Beestie 01-10-2007 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveDallas (Post 306294)
Say more please.... how do you "know" if you "need" them?

If you think you can cope without them then you probably don't need them. Unless you (not you) are psychotic in which case I'm not sure your opinion counts.

rkzenrage 01-10-2007 11:25 PM

I take the lowest dose that they make for Paxil. I have some anxiety associated with my "condition" and what it is doing to my family, oh, and the whole chronic-pain-thing.

SteveDallas 01-10-2007 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beestie (Post 306302)
If you think you can cope

What does cope mean?
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beestie (Post 306302)
Unless you (not you) are psychotic in which case I'm not sure your opinion counts.

How do I know I'm psychotic?

(Yes, I'm being a smartass as usual. No, I don't think I'm psychotic. But really. How do we know these things?

skysidhe 01-10-2007 11:32 PM

Quote:

Say more please.... how do you "know" if you "need" them?

I knew someone would latch on to that.

Ibram seems to know himself well enough to tell us. I was being respectful and not second guessing him. Why not ask him?

Quote:

If I say I don't is that necessary and sufficient? How do I know I'm not wrong? How do you know I'm not wrong? What if things other people think are dragging you "down" are things you consider core components of your personality? What if you obsessively post to message boards (in between checking your package tracking status) at 12:16AM?

no comment

Aliantha 01-10-2007 11:33 PM

No one really knows do they? Most of us just make our judgements on how others react to us. If we decide they've changed their reactions, we have to ask ourselves, is everyone else being weird or is it me?

At least, that's what I do if I think I'm losing the plot over something.

Beestie 01-10-2007 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveDallas (Post 306307)
What does cope mean?

How do I know I'm psychotic?

(Yes, I'm being a smartass as usual. No, I don't think I'm psychotic. But really. How do we know these things?

If you don't think you need help then, usually, you don't. Its when you think you are losing control or that you are not in control that coping is no longer a viable option.

As far as being psychotic goes, I'm not sure a self-assesment is all that material. Usually, one's behaviour will bear it out in which case, the opinions of others (like Wolf's) become significant.

zippyt 01-10-2007 11:45 PM

So in other words , I'm not strange I'm just like you ??

Oh and on the pill thing , no I do not , but in the 70's my mom had me be a guinnie pig for LOTS of studys( try some of these , These are new try some of them , oh now these , nope now these ) , I don't rember much of the early 70's at all

rkzenrage 01-10-2007 11:48 PM

BTW, I was diagnosed, as a teen, with a disorder, but the meds made it much worse. I learned to deal on my own.

Bullitt 01-11-2007 12:08 AM

I was diagnosed with adhd in my elementary years and took ritalin for awhile. I've been off for years now, but the attention portion is pretty bad these days. Its hard to describe to people what my mind does during the average day, its like some trippy movie. A commercial awhile ago kind of hit it on the nose with the whole "flipping channels" thing. Try to imagine listening to a professor in class, then a song or image or joke or movie or conversation pops into your head and you fight to suppress it for 5-10 minutes. Repeat every 10-15 minutes and thats a normal day for me. These days I'm more innattentive than hyperactive.
Sometimes when I'm tired it just goes on straight. Concentrating on one thing, even something entertaining like a movie or music or video game is not doable because I just can't pay attention. The slightest external stimulus will distract me. If one of the florescent light bulbs is buzzing in class it drives me insane. If the prof is speaking and so is someone else near me, I can't focus on either one. Its like trying to watch two tv's at max volume right in front of my face.
Though there is one positive. If I am extremely motivated about something, I can "hyper focus" on it and go through it with ease. I have always loved reading and when I get a good book I can sometimes finish in a couple hours. In grade school I consistently read 3-4 grade levels above mine. Other than that benefit, I'd say it is a living nightmare at times.