The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Image of the Day (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Nov 30, 2009: Ötzi (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=21520)

xoxoxoBruce 11-30-2009 01:25 AM

Nov 30, 2009: Ötzi

Ötzi the iceman, he never got a kiss.
Ötzi the iceman, don't know what he missed.
Is it any wonder, that his butt got froze?
Ötzi that poor...

Oh wait, that's not the guy... :o

Quote:

Ötzi is a mummified human discovered in 1991 in the Schnalstal glacier in the Alps, on the border between Austria and Italy. He died around 3300 BC. The mummy offers a wealth of information about the humans living in Europe at the time. Ötzi was named after the Ötztal region where he was found.
http://cellar.org/2009/iceman.jpg

Quote:

The new Iceman photoscan website now gives all web users access to images of the body gathered by researchers. The site has a dynamic online-map-style interface to let people zoom into photographs that capture Ötzi from all angles and show details as small as 1 millimetre.
They're providing these up close & personal scans, as an excellent way to protect Ötzi from being damaged from over study. Good idea, these scans should answer the questions most scholars have about him. They've taken special care to record Ötzi's tattoos, and they even have 3-D images, if you have a pair of anaglyph glasses (cyano and red).

aside - Ötzi's tools have already revealed a lot.

TheMercenary 11-30-2009 04:57 AM

So he had tats. Cool.

Trilby 11-30-2009 05:16 AM

wonder if those are prison tats... ;)

ZenGum 11-30-2009 06:36 AM

The full details of the Otzi story get better and better as more is discovered... arrowhead in the back, wound dressed but not healed, cousin's blood on his clothes ... he wasn't just some lost shepherd.
The variety of materials his gear was made from also impresses me. Several different kinds of fur/skin, various plant materials, flint and bronze tools.
Thanks for the tip, I'll check those pics out when I have more time.

capnhowdy 11-30-2009 06:47 AM

When do we eat? j/k

I appreciate the fact that the scientists are sharing this. That site is way cool. I can't wait till I have time to delve. Anyone know where I can get some of those glasses?

Gravdigr 11-30-2009 07:12 AM

Quote:

Ötzi's tools have already revealed a lot.
Tools? He had two dicks??:mg:

Spexxvet 11-30-2009 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brianna (Post 613619)
wonder if those are prison tats... ;)

Looks like the type of bar code that aliens use to keep track of the indigenous population.;)

newtimer 11-30-2009 09:35 AM

Looks like he died while doing the hokey-pokey. Having just put his left hand in for the second time, Herr Otzi was preparing to shake it all about when he suddenly expired on the spot.

DanaC 11-30-2009 09:41 AM

What amazed me was the fact that he carried a pack of tools and stuff with him, including stuff to repair his kit and clothes.

skysidhe 11-30-2009 10:16 AM

I liked this article so much I am tempted to subscribe to the magazine.

xoxoxoBruce 11-30-2009 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 613649)
What amazed me was the fact that he carried a pack of tools and stuff with him, including stuff to repair his kit and clothes.

Quote:

The picture that emerges from my analysis of Ötzi's possessions is of a mature, highly skilled hunter – certainly not a shepherd. The tools in his kit were multipurpose, skilfully made and well maintained. Together they provided, with minimal weight, all the necessary tools for hunting, butchering and bringing back meat, skins, antlers or horn on his lightweight pack frame. His copper axe and bearskin hat were both utilitarian and displays of prestige. Copper implements were not common at that time, and in nearly all northern hunting societies the killing of bears, which provide furs, meat and fat, was a visible measure of hunting prowess.
Think Clint Eastwood. :haha:

Diaphone Jim 11-30-2009 10:52 AM

Most video stores will give you the 3-D glasses.

spudcon 11-30-2009 11:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Those tats are from the gang he was in. Check out the "Gangsta sign" he's doing with his fingers.

dar512 11-30-2009 11:21 AM

Hist mother told him that his face was going to freeze like that, but kids never listen.

She also told him to wear a coat, but Otzi thought he'd be warm enough -- especially since he was going out to play ultimate frisbee.

capnhowdy 11-30-2009 11:25 AM

Is that his dick down there? Just noticed.