The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Food and Drink (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Philly Cheese Steak (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=25428)

TheMercenary 06-28-2011 08:19 AM

Philly Cheese Steak

Watched a pretty funny show on Travel Channel about a contest between two rather famous (according to the show anyway) places in Philly that make the best cheese steaks. Since some of you guys are near there is one really better than the other? Is it really that big of a deal? I mean is just a cheese steak. Anybody ever been to one or the other?

Pat's vs Tony Luke's....

http://www.travelchannel.com/Places_...ly-cheesesteak

Undertoad 06-28-2011 08:43 AM

In Philadelphia, there is NO BIGGER DEAL than determining who has the best steak!

But there is a big Problem in that the places that are famous, such as Pat's, don't make the best steak. I've had Pat's and racist Geno's and both are sub-par. Jim's on South does a better one and I'm sure there are places in the northeast that are better. I always preferred Dalessandro's in Roxborough but they are under new management and this is always a concern. Both Wolf and I favor Pudge's of Blue Bell but this is a suburban location so the city folk will dismiss it.

TheMercenary 06-28-2011 08:44 AM

Well I may be heading up that way in the fall so where should I go for the best in your opinion?

Undertoad 06-28-2011 08:46 AM

Sorry for my late edit. Where will you be staying?

BrianR 06-28-2011 08:54 AM

Everyone in Philly has an opinion on this topic and discussions can become quite, um, spirited. I can't say I've ever been to Tony Luke's but I have three or four places I prefer above others. I will admit to have done a taste test between the long-standing rivals Pat's and Gino's (I preferred Pat's).

I judge the sandwich on several levels: appearance, flavor of meat, the bun, quantity *if you skimp, you suck!) and price. Oh, anything that is called a "Philly steak sandwich", sold outside the general area of Philly, is a pale imitation. Sometimes so bad that I've been tempted to take a torch to the place. However, I did train one place in Atlantic Beach to make a decent steak sandwich, and Dallas has a place that has an acceptable substitute.

I'm with Wolf and UT voting for Pudge's for my favorite western suburban location.

TheMercenary 06-28-2011 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 742333)
Sorry for my late edit. Where will you be staying?

Not sure yet. My bro-in-law lives in Jersey and I owe him a visit. We hope to make it up this fall when the weather cools off. Visit a few days in D.C. and then head up that way.

Spexxvet 06-28-2011 09:05 AM

Here's sport's talk judges and listeners results.

Quote:

Glen’s Top 10:

#1 John’s Roast Pork
#2 Steve’s
#3 Chink’s
#4 Talk of the Town
#5 Grey Lodge Pub
#6 Slack’s Hoagie Shack
#7 Sonny’s
#8 Tony Luke’s
#9 White House
#10 Dalessandro’s

The Ultimate Cheesesteak Challenge ended with a “playoff round” at Paddy Whack’s Irish Pub on South Street, featuring the Top 6. John’s Roast Pork won both the “Judges’ Choice” award and the “Listeners’ Choice” award for Philly’s #1 cheese steak, with Chink’s finishing a close second.

Spexxvet 06-28-2011 09:09 AM

Here's my favorite, but I grew up 6 blocks away. They DO NOT USE CHEEZEJIZ!

Undertoad 06-28-2011 10:46 AM

Ah Merc there are not so many good steak places on the Jersey side. Depending on where you are you should probably cross the river!

Undertoad 06-28-2011 10:51 AM

Oh man it's lunch time and now I really need one of these. Once you start thinking about it, it's all over. Should I go get one? I could take pics.

Spexxvet 06-28-2011 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 742347)
Should I go get one?

Yes. And pick one up for me, too.
[Wimpy]I'd gladly pay you Tuesday for a cheesesteak today[/Wimpy]

wolf 06-28-2011 11:18 AM

I confirm UT and BrianR's vote on my behalf for Pudges.

I haven't had a D'Allesandro's steak since the change in ownership, but they did used to make a mean steak.

Damn. Now I want one too, but I only walked a Twinkie and a half today ... maybe if I walk to Pudges? But it does look like it's going to rain.

I'm stuck with salad.

monster 06-28-2011 01:20 PM

I want one too!

Aliantha 06-28-2011 05:33 PM

Yes I want to see pictures! I don't know if we have the same thing here or not, but if not, I might have to make one since cheese and steak are two of my favourite foods.

Undertoad 06-28-2011 06:11 PM

OK I didn't get one for lunch but I will get one for dinner and post pics later.