The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Image of the Day (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Dec 23, 2008: African Tribal War (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=19063)

xoxoxoBruce 12-23-2008 01:15 AM

Dec 23, 2008: African Tribal War

Looking through Boston.Com's "The Year 2008 in Photographs", like all year end collections, evoked memories of things that have been pushed into the background by more recent events. But, when I saw this picture I had no recollection of ever hearing about it.

http://cellar.org/2008/massai.jpg

Most conflicts in the world, even small ones, are usually played out with AK-47s and Rocket Propelled Grenades, not bows & arrows.
Quote:

Maasai warriors cover a battle field as they clash with bows and arrows with members of the Kalenjin tribe in the Kapune hill overlooking the Olmelil valley located in the Transmara District in Western Kenya on March 01, 2008. The Massai, the Kalenjin and the Kisii tribes have recently clashed over ongoing land disputes that erupted after botched local elections during the general elections held in Kenya in December of 2007. Over twenty warriors from the tribes have been killed in bow and arrow battles near the borders of these tribes in the last couple of months. (Yasuyoshi Chiba/AFP/Getty Images)
Over 20 killed? I wonder how many wounded. It's a good thing they don't have AKs and RPGs, because those bright colors make great targets. :eyebrow:

Beestie 12-23-2008 03:59 AM

Warriors? Allrighty then.

SPUCK 12-23-2008 05:01 AM

Yeah color problems.. Bloods and Crips everywhere!!

Think what a guy with compound bow and a bunch of aluminum arrows could do... yikes.

"No one can hit me from - uhck!"

Sundae 12-23-2008 06:26 AM

There was a lot of trouble in Kenya this year, a lot of it sparked off by the election. Of course it was along tribal lines, so it doesn't take much to get things going.

sweetwater 12-23-2008 08:34 AM

At first glance I thought it was a Guinness record attempt for simultaneous golfing. Guess not! Imagine, though, the relative quietness of a conflict resolved with bows and arrows. You could hear the agonized screams of your enemy & comrades when an arrow pierced flesh.

Gravdigr 12-23-2008 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPUCK (Post 516075)
Yeah color problems.. Bloods and Crips everywhere!!Think what a guy with compound bow and a bunch of aluminum arrows could do... yikes.

Bloods & Crips everywhere!!:lol2: :notworthy

Old & Busted: Aluminum arrows.
New Hotness: Arrows made from carbon nanotubes.:D

floatingk 12-23-2008 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPUCK (Post 516075)
"No one can hit me from - uhck!"

I spilled my coffee...frickin hilarious!!!!!!: biglaugha

Diaphone Jim 12-23-2008 06:50 PM

Somehow the word that seems to go with this image is civilized.
No stealth, no mortars, no landmines, no unmanned drones flown from Palmdale, no IED's or cluster bombs.
20 killed vs. the hundreds of thousands wiped out, maimed and raped in that part of Africa just seems to be of a human scale.

TheMercenary 12-23-2008 07:14 PM

Time for someone to make some cash giving one side repeating rifles and the other wiskey.

richlevy 12-23-2008 08:41 PM

Why doesn't one side just grab a bunch of machetes and go after the guys with bows and arrows? One of the reasons archers stood behind infantry was because once enemy got in close the bow and arrow were useless.

xoxoxoBruce 12-23-2008 11:21 PM

Great idea, you go first. ;)

Wombat 12-24-2008 05:29 AM

I worked in a hospital in rural Kenya for a while in 1994 (Maua if you're interested). One day we had several dozen people come in with arrow wounds, because a couple of tribes a few miles down the hill had a battle over some land. One tribe got pretty much wiped out: the wounded we saw were the lucky ones, all the rest of their tribe had died because most of the arrows used were poisoned: the only survivors were the few that had been hit by un-poisoned arrows. This didn't even make Kenyan news, let alone international news. Shit like this goes on all the time but you won't hear about it. Something to think about as you tuck into your Christmas roast in your safe warm house.

Gravdigr 12-24-2008 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wombat (Post 516325)
...the wounded we saw were the lucky ones, all the rest of their tribe had died because most of the arrows used were poisoned: the only survivors were the few that had been hit by un-poisoned arrows.

Well, there's my problem right there...I got to go poison me up some arrows. (No wonder my victims have been escaping lately...):headshake

Tick 12-24-2008 11:51 PM

About those bright colors. Africa had a thriving textile industry. It died when the USA started sending cargo ships loaded with tons of used clothing pressed into bales. The intent was good. The result: Not so much.

Tick

onetrack 12-26-2008 12:11 AM

This is America, 2012, after the Democrats take all your guns off you, and repeal the Second Amendment .. :D