The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Current Events (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   shot dead in DC (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=29489)

Clodfobble 10-06-2013 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adak
My sympathies for her child, friends, and any family she had. I'm sure they were stunned to hear of this tragic, wild incident.

I rather expect that her family and friends were the opposite of stunned. I imagine their primary thought has been, "Goddammit. We told you all something like this would happen."

I have a relative with only mild mental illness. Yet he has, surprise surprise, no insurance, so it comes and goes in waves and is not at all managed. And if one day I learned he had done something like this... I'd be very sad, but I most definitely would not be stunned.

Lamplighter 10-06-2013 08:45 AM

Along Clod's line of thinking...
MassLive.com
10/5/13

Rep. Ellen Story calls Miriam Carey death 'wake up call' on postpartum depression
Quote:

Members of the Massachusetts Special Legislative Commission on Postpartum Commission
are reacting to the chase in the nation's capital that resulted in the death of Miriam Carey,
a 34-year old Connecticut mother, who drove her car with her one-year old baby in it,
into police barricades near the White House on Oct. 3, and was fatally shot.
Carey's mother said her daughter suffered from postpartum depression.

“I am deeply distressed about, and sorry for the tragic death of Miriam Carey.
It is a wake-up call for all of us to do everything we can to identify and treat postpartum depression,”
said Rep. Ellen Story D-Amherst, co-chairperson of the commission,
and author of the 2010 Massachusetts Postpartum Depression legislation.

We want all medical providers to understand that pregnancy and postpartum mental health disorders are common, real and treatable. We want every woman to have access to care and treatment, so that we can prevent escalation and crisis,” said Dr. Barry Sarvet, vice chair of the department of psychiatry at Baystate Health in Springfield.

<snip>

xoxoxoBruce 10-06-2013 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 878911)
I rather expect that her family and friends were the opposite of stunned. I imagine their primary thought has been, "Goddammit. We told you all something like this would happen."

It's odd, I keep running into stories and clips about her that don't add up. First they're saying she has PPD real bad. Then less than a year ago she told the CT cops Obama had her under surveillance. And she was apparently twisted enough to drive all the way to DC. OK, that all adds up.

But then they talk to her family, neighbors, and people she'd worked with.
Almost everyone of them, said she was pleasant, happy, communicative, and all around pleasant.

Now I admit I'm been watching the news with one eye, part time, and less than 20% interest. Maybe I misunderstood or misheard, but didn't sound right to me.

Aliantha 10-06-2013 07:32 PM

Many people with depression are very good at hiding it from the people around them. Thats why some people are shocked while others just saw it coming. I know when i had it i hid it from most people till i started being treated.

Adak 10-07-2013 11:13 AM

Quote:

I have a relative with only mild mental illness. Yet he has, surprise surprise, no insurance, so it comes and goes in waves and is not at all managed. And if one day I learned he had done something like this... I'd be very sad, but I most definitely would not be stunned.

That's been a common thread in a lot of the mass shooting incidents, hasn't it?

Mentally ill person gets a gun or two and ....

I like guns. But you have to keep mentally unstable people AWAY from them!!

BigV 10-11-2013 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orthodoc (Post 878739)
@sexobon ...

--snip--

I'd hoped to have an actual conversation, but you're always and only about the put-downs and one-ups. At your age, that's sad.

Well said.

tw 10-11-2013 07:17 PM

Quote:

And if one day I learned he had done something like this... I'd be very sad, but I most definitely would not be stunned.

In part because of what Orthodoc said long before so many irrelevant "put-downs and one-ups" were posted. We have little to no way of quantifying who is most dangerous. The science has only just recently obtained tools to study this stuff. Of course, in an extremist government that hates research on guns, violence, stem cells, and other relevant concepts, then we would only remain ill informed. So you could not know who needs help.

Let's be quite clear about this. When the CDC did studies that clearly noted what increases risk and death, then extremist organizations got laws passed to ban all future Federal government research. By the CDC or anyone else. Unfortunately extremists would rather blame the mentally ill rather that identify, treat, and develop new products that could avert this.

Only moderates want to address this and similar problems. We currently see how much influence wacko extremists now have over America. Mission Accomplished and the wasted 5000 American servicemen were just one example of extremism. Even those extremists are even calling the current crop of wackos extremists.

Maybe we should submit Ted Cruz, et al to diagnostic testing for mental illness. No wonder they want more guns and no research.

classicman 11-08-2013 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tw (Post 879919)

Only moderates want to address this and similar problems. We currently see

Good gracious, don't tell me you still think you're a moderate.

Bwahahahahahaaa