The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   The Masquerade Ball (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=10957)

BigV 06-07-2006 08:02 PM

The Masquerade Ball

Inspired by richlevy
Quote:

Originally Posted by richlevy
I think the major difference in us is that as a liberal, I actually try to see your point.

He said a lot more and you should go read or re-read it, 'cause it's good stuff.

So I have been thinking about his remarks, and this thread is the result. I *do* try to see others' points. It helps me understand more. Another thing I do to clarify my thoughts is think out loud. I also try reflective listening, repeating parts of a conversation to verify my comprehension. I'm going to masquerade! I will post from the point of view of others. Maybe sometimes those others will be specific individuals, or screennames, or just "them". I toyed with the idea of a "talk like a _______ day" where I'd take on the role of another in all my posts. That still sounds fun, but not yet.

So here is where I'll practice. You can have fun too, and maybe learn something. Make a post on the wild side. Post a mile in someone else's shoes. Pretend you're something you're not. (I realize that is not a big change for some of you out there, but for those of us who post in earnest, it'll be a shift.) Have fun!

BigV 06-07-2006 08:10 PM

The Marriage Ammendment currently under debate in Congress should be passed, and quickly. Our country's founding fathers had no idea what a threat gay marriage would become, and it's our duty to this living document, our duty to all the embattled hardworking, normal people, our duty to the children, that we ammend the Constitution to keep those people from tearing our country down with their twisted demands to be married. They're so wrong! We must act, decisively!

Man, that was harder than I thought. Got to keep trying.

xoxoxoBruce 06-07-2006 09:35 PM

We should build a fleet, a big fleet like the Liberty ships of WWII, and have them sail back and forth, from N.Y.C. & L.A. to every port in the world, until no more people want to come here. Give them free passage, no passports or visas required and a stipend to live on once they get here. :Flush:

Elspode 06-07-2006 10:44 PM

Um...are we supposed to guess who is being emulated, here?

BigV 06-07-2006 11:42 PM

If you wish.

I wasn't channeling anyone special that time, but I have often wondered "What the heck is he thinking?!" and this is where I'll try out those thoughts. I do intend to emulate some voices here, and some outside the cellar too.

It's not that rigid, really. I'm just trying to think like someone else. "Know thine enemy", capisce?

wolf 06-08-2006 12:55 AM

I really don't think I can do this without having my brain explode.

Griff 06-08-2006 11:49 AM

Mental Midget MBAs are so un-American that they don't sign on pro innovation Kyoto Protocals making end of world for right wing Christian masters.

Trilby 06-08-2006 12:30 PM

Only a child would need to play a game like this.

KinkyVixen 06-08-2006 02:52 PM

Who cares. Why do you care? Just let him have his fun.

barefoot serpent 06-08-2006 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brianna
Only a child would need to play a game like this.

so you're saying Damien is not The Devil, just the Devil's Advocate?
:yelgreedy

Shocker 06-08-2006 03:35 PM

America is evil. Out of all the countries in the world, the sole source, responsibility and cause of all illegal immigration ever into the United States is the United States. We provide all the incentives for people to come here illegally without any fault within the originating country. It's never Jose Mexicana's fault for illegally coming here, because for whatever his reasons may be, the U.S. is responsible for it... :eyebrow: