The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Food and Drink (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Brown rice, white rice (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=25555)

limey 07-25-2011 06:43 AM

Brown rice, white rice

I like brown rice, Mr Limey likes white rice. Is there any way to prepare a dinner involving rice for us both without using two pans for the rice?
I know you inventive Dwellars will come up with something. It may even be practicable!

ZenGum 07-25-2011 07:01 AM

Eat dinner under a brown lightbulb. The white rice will look brown.

DanaC 07-25-2011 07:04 AM

Do you have a microwave? Individual bags of rice, problem solved :p Alternatively, boil in the bag in a pan of water. Uncle Ben's boil in the bag rice is bloody lovely.

Gravdigr 07-25-2011 07:22 AM

Have either of you tried wild rice?

infinite monkey 07-25-2011 07:24 AM

Uncle Ben's Long Grain and Wild Rice is the bomb! Yeah, I'm no help but I needed to say it. ;)

jimhelm 07-25-2011 08:16 AM

switch to quinoa? is good

Spexxvet 07-25-2011 08:42 AM

Don't be ricist!

Cook the brown rice and white rice in one pot, then separate the grains after cooking.

ZenGum 07-25-2011 08:50 AM

Grow rice which is brown on one side and white on the other. Arrange the grains on your plate according to preference.

Undertoad 07-25-2011 08:53 AM

Quote:

both without using two pans?
"2 cups, 1 pan"

Put 3 cups of water in the pan. Bring the water to boiling. Put the boil-bag with brown rice in the pan. When the bag is done, remove it, and measure out 2 cups of the still-boiling water. Put that water back in the pan and add a cup of white rice and cook it normally.

infinite monkey 07-25-2011 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spexxvet (Post 746498)
Don't be ricist!

Cook the brown rice and white rice in one pot, then separate the grains after cooking.

That smacks of forced busting. Trying to get rid of separate but equal cooking pots, but you'll note that was BROWN vs. the Board of Ricification.

ZenGum 07-25-2011 09:04 AM

Gouge his eyes out and tell him it's white. He'll know it's not, but he'll know not to argue.

limey 07-25-2011 09:18 AM

Sorry, I should have said "boil-in-the-bag" is not an option (I don't think. I'll have to try to do a cost/benefit analysis of extra power on heating two pans vs cost of boil in bag sort ... hmmm. Meanwhile I have quite a large bag of white rice to feed him in the meanwhile!)
I know you'd have some great answers! Keep 'em coming!
And yes, wild rice is fab, but Mr L doesn't think so.
In fact at the local farmers' market today I noticed that I am drawn to the unusual veg (purple spuds), but Mr L no likeee. Perhaps I should just blindfold him.

Pico and ME 07-25-2011 09:23 AM

Make up a big batch of the white and freeze it in individual serving sizes - like freezer bags, that you could then microwave when you want it.

OR.

Maybe there is such a thing as a mesh bag that you could cook his white rice in the same pot as the brown (obviously increase the amount of water), then just take out the white rice when its done since it cooks faster than the brown rice.

glatt 07-25-2011 09:25 AM

Make your own boil in bag rice with some cheese cloth. Make a pouch filled with brown and a pouch filled with white, and boil.

I've never done this, but it should work. You might even be able to reuse the cheesecloth.

Trilby 07-25-2011 10:39 AM

compromise and use Basmati!